Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me if I have posted some of these before. I am sharing with the RT group here to inspire others.
These 10/22s become a habit, an obsession. So many ways you can build them

I'll start with my latest one. I found a 16" threaded ER Shaw bull barrel at a gun show for $40, so I decided to put together another rifle. I bought a Hogue Over-molded thumbhole stock for it, used another Kingston Armory steel receiver, a JWH custom bolt, a bi-pod and a Bushnell scope

I had always wanted and international model and so I decided to put a special one together. I took one of the Kingston Armory steel receivers that I bought in the white (bare steel) and gave it a high polished finish, then blued it. I did the same with a new take-off barrel, then I bought an Atomic Arms billet aluminum, anodized trigger housing (looks a lot like the original Ruger aluminum housings) and trigger. I then took a factory bolt and gave it a good polishing (I may go back and jewel the bolt). Anyway here it is

This project started when I found an original Finger Groove Sporter Stock for a reasonable price (I think I paid $75 for it). I didn't have any vintage Ruger parts, so I put it together the same was as the International model above.

If having two of these special edition 10/22s wasn't enough, I bought one of the newer walnut Sporter stocks and put the barreled action from the Finger Groove rifle into it. I then found a vintage barreled action (pre-1970) and pit that into the FGS stock. Here is the trio

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is my tribute to a tribute. A guy who used to build custom stocks came up with the idea of a 10/22 tribute to the old carbines of the late 19th century (Spencer, Sharps, Springfield, Ballard etc)

So I took his idea and ran with it. Starting with a standard beech wood stock, I made it into a straight grip, cut back the barrel band portion and tapered it, then refinished the wood using brown leather dye and Tru-Oil. I blued the bolt, used brass screws, added a saddle ring from a Krag rifle, installed an extended mag release that is reminiscent of the action levers from the old carbines. I then installed sling swivels from an old Enfield and made a sling from an old leather belt. For the sights I used the original brass bead in front and a William Peep in the rear

Blog posts showing the process

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-ruger-spencer-carbine-part-1.html

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-ruger-spencer-carbine-part-2.html

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-ruger-spencer-carbine-part-3.html

Later on I added a custom brass bolt handle that I built from a lamp base part and a brass Ruger grip emblem

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2019/03/another-1022-cheap-trick.html

Reactions: BLACK RIFLE REVIEWS

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This rifle was a for a raffle to raise money for our local gun forum, using a 50th anniversary receiver and a vintage walnut stock, we built a pretty nice shooter for the lucky winner

The new take off barrel got a high polished blued finish

I jeweled the bolt and had a laser engraver put the forum's logo on the receiver

blog posts:

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-waguns-1022-rifle-pt1.html

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-waguns-1022-rifle-pt2.html

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-waguns-1022-rifle-pt3.html

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This one started when I found a good deal on an SR-22 stock/chassis at a gun show

Just added a factory receiver, a factory threaded 16" barrel, a blued factory bolt (for stealthyness) a universal bayonet lug, scope & low rise mounts, a Knights Armament VFG, aftermarket charging handle and an extended mag release

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This next one started out as a modified stock that someone gave me. It was an original walnut stock that some one painted black, then put it on a belt sander and flattened the sides and removed the barrel band section.
So I removed the rest of the black paint, raised the dents, sanded out the imprecations and I had a friend into wood working add some finger grooves on the forend. I then added a factory take-off barrel and a steel Kingston Armory receiver, both got a high polish finish. Then I had a factory aluminum trigger housing and the aluminum butt plate Cerakoted in graphite black. Finally a I added some sling swivels that mimicked the ones used on the original FGS stocks

Here are the before and after pictures:

Blog posts with more detail

TINCANBANDIT's Gunsmithing: Ruger 10/22 Finger Groove Sporter Tribute Part 1

TINCANBANDIT's Gunsmithing: Ruger 10/22 Finger Groove Sporter Tribute Part 2

TINCANBANDIT's Gunsmithing: Ruger 10/22 Finger Groove Sporter Tribute Part 3

TINCANBANDIT's Gunsmithing: Ruger 10/22 Finger Groove Sporter Tribute Part 4

·
Registered
432 Posts
Forgive me if I have posted some of these before. I am sharing with the RT group here to inspire others.
These 10/22s become a habit, an obsession. So many ways you can build them

I'll start with my latest one. I found a 16" threaded ER Shaw bull barrel at a gun show for $40, so I decided to put together another rifle. I bought a Hogue Over-molded thumbhole stock for it, used another Kingston Armory steel receiver, a JWH custom bolt, a bi-pod and a Bushnell scope

I had always wanted and international model and so I decided to put a special one together. I took one of the Kingston Armory steel receivers that I bought in the white (bare steel) and gave it a high polished finish, then blued it. I did the same with a new take-off barrel, then I bought an Atomic Arms billet aluminum, anodized trigger housing (looks a lot like the original Ruger aluminum housings) and trigger. I then took a factory bolt and gave it a good polishing (I may go back and jewel the bolt). Anyway here it is

This project started when I found an original Finger Groove Sporter Stock for a reasonable price (I think I paid $75 for it). I didn't have any vintage Ruger parts, so I put it together the same was as the International model above.

If having two of these special edition 10/22s wasn't enough, I bought one of the newer walnut Sporter stocks and put the barreled action from the Finger Groove rifle into it. I then found a vintage barreled action (pre-1970) and pit that into the FGS stock. Here is the trio

outstanding work good job.

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
This one started when I found a good deal on an SR-22 stock/chassis at a gun show

Just added a factory receiver, a factory threaded 16" barrel, a blued factory bolt (for stealthyness) a universal bayonet lug, scope & low rise mounts, a Knights Armament VFG, aftermarket charging handle and an extended mag release

Nice Tactical style .

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is two of my 10 /22 Rifles

50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION 10 /22

This is a Tactical style Ruger 10 /22 FAB Defense Stock ER. Shaw 20" Factory Taper barrel 3 pound BX Trigger, SightMark Wraith Digital Day / Night Scope . I use this quite a bit eradicating Feral Hogs & Coyotes. I have taken well over 200 feral Hogs and about 30 Coyotes with this rifle at a range no more than 100 yards most shots 60 & 75 yards from a 21' Ladder Stand over a bait at 60 -75 yards .The FAB DEFENSE STOCK is Israeli made an since its inception, FAB Defense has been leading in development and manufacture of the highest quality, cutting-edge tactical equipment and weapon accessories for the State of Israel’s Military and Police. FAB Defense R&D department works in collaboration with Special Forces and SWAT teams worldwide to design creative, ability enhancing, no-nonsense solutions to the ongoing dynamic challenges met in the field.

The R10/22 M4 Precision Stock PRO Conversion Kit presents a high quality and ability enhancing upgrade for the Ruger 10/22. This unique stock offers the perfect combination of a classic bench-rest design with a modern tactical versatility and buttstock features.

Specifications and Features:
Durable and lightweight fiberglass reinforced polymer construction with Ventilated 6061 T6 Billet aluminum Handguard and upper rails
Collapsible buttstock system with 5 length options
1913 MIL-STD Picatinny upper, sides and lower rails
Side folding buttstock (left folding by default) for compact carry and storage
Quick-Detach sling swivel sockets on both sides
Ergonomic design prevents wrist fatigue and ensures secure grip
Quick and easy drop-in installation
Incorporates a 25 years limited lifetime warranty
Compatibility: Bull & Standard barreled Ruger 10/22 rifles

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my tribute to a tribute. A guy who used to build custom stocks came up with the idea of a 10/22 tribute to the old carbines of the late 19th century (Spencer, Sharps, Springfield, Ballard etc)

So I took his idea and ran with it. Starting with a standard beech wood stock, I made it into a straight grip, cut back the barrel band portion and tapered it, then refinished the wood using brown leather dye and Tru-Oil. I blued the bolt, used brass screws, added a saddle ring from a Krag rifle, installed an extended mag release that is reminiscent of the action levers from the old carbines. I then installed sling swivels from an old Enfield and made a sling from an old leather belt. For the sights I used the original brass bead in front and a William Peep in the rear

Blog posts showing the process

The Ruger Spencer Carbine Part 1

The Ruger Spencer Carbine Part 2

The Ruger Spencer Carbine Part 3

Later on I added a custom brass bolt handle that I built from a lamp base part and a brass Ruger grip emblem

Another 10/22 Cheap Trick
I love this build. If Ruger would have made a !0-22 in 1901 , this would have been it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is two of my 10 /22 Rifles

50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION 10 /22

This is a Tactical style Ruger 10 /22 FAB Defense Stock ER. Shaw 20" Factory Taper barrel 3 pound BX Trigger, SightMark Wraith Digital Day / Night Scope . I use this quite a bit eradicating Feral Hogs & Coyotes. I have taken well over 200 feral Hogs and about 30 Coyotes with this rifle at a range no more than 100 yards most shots 60 & 75 yards from a 21' Ladder Stand over a bait at 60 -75 yards .The FAB DEFENSE STOCK is Israeli made an since its inception, FAB Defense has been leading in development and manufacture of the highest quality, cutting-edge tactical equipment and weapon accessories for the State of Israel’s Military and Police. FAB Defense R&D department works in collaboration with Special Forces and SWAT teams worldwide to design creative, ability enhancing, no-nonsense solutions to the ongoing dynamic challenges met in the field.

The R10/22 M4 Precision Stock PRO Conversion Kit presents a high quality and ability enhancing upgrade for the Ruger 10/22. This unique stock offers the perfect combination of a classic bench-rest design with a modern tactical versatility and buttstock features.

Specifications and Features:
Durable and lightweight fiberglass reinforced polymer construction with Ventilated 6061 T6 Billet aluminum Handguard and upper rails
Collapsible buttstock system with 5 length options
1913 MIL-STD Picatinny upper, sides and lower rails
Side folding buttstock (left folding by default) for compact carry and storage
Quick-Detach sling swivel sockets on both sides
Ergonomic design prevents wrist fatigue and ensures secure grip
Quick and easy drop-in installation
Incorporates a 25 years limited lifetime warranty
Compatibility: Bull & Standard barreled Ruger 10/22 rifles

I have always liked Fab Defense products, always been impressed with their quality

1 - 19 of 19 Posts