Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes it just happens. Don't even have to look for them. Old guy I know callls me up and says he has some old guns for me to take to a gun show unless I want them. He had no use for them anymore. He wanted 150 for each, but I got hem out of him for a bill each.

First one, some of you might recognize. I had it before and swapped it to him last year. It is the better part of 2 Russian M44 carbines that I got cheap and put one good one together. It worked and shot suprisingly well. I always swap guns with this old guy. He thought he and his hunting buddies could tame the old 7.62X54r caliber in the M44 and use it for a spare hunting camp carbine. After shooting it a while, he said no one liked the recoil with teh steel buttplate. That's understandable. So, it's mine agin.

Second gun, I really wanted.Mostly cause I never had one and it's history. It is a late wartime, "last Ditch" Type 99 Arisaka rifle in 7.7 Japanese caliber. These gun were being turned out in a hurry at the end of the war and were a bit rough in finish. Metal was getting scarce, so the buttplate was even made of wood. Fance sights and stuff were done away with. This gun is one of those. The gun may be a capture cause it still has the "Imperial Mum" insignia on the top of the receiver. MOst guns turned in by the Japanese did not. The Mum insignia was ground off to "ave face" or something to that effect. Finish is about 50%. Bule is pretty much gone and the old guy put some Tru-Oil on it. Best thing is that it is not "Bubafied." He said he used it back when he got it from another old guy in the 1960s. He hunted with it, but has better guns now. He just didn't want it anymore.

This last gun I really wanted. It is an old Military and Police Model 1905, 4th change. Production run went from 1915 to @ 1942 when production of the wartime "Victory" model began. Serial #s ran from @ 241,000 to 1,000,000. this one has # 885,XXX on it, so it is late in the run. It should be a .38 spl, but production of the guns in .38 S&W short started about than and the gun is in that caliber. It may be a special order for civil defense, police or other government agency. It has a hole in the butt for a lanyard ring, but it is unknown if it was ever there. The Victory models had the lanyard ring, and a V prefix in the serial number. This gun does not have either, so it is not a Victory. The solution to the mystery may be in 2 letters that are stamped on the butt, but not part of the serial #. The letters are "W B" and are smaller thanthe serial #. It may be some agency identifiyer. Anyone have any ideas?

Here it is with a hand tooled leather holster, that would be better suited to a large single action. Gun is at .east 80% or so. Functions well. Bore and cylinders are great. Fixed sights. Grips are not from the gun. I gave the old guy the grips years ago. The gun came with some "Mutha O' Pimp" pearl grips that he did not like. Best gues is that it is just before WWII production.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
You know, you cant go wrong with any of those.
Always a good one to have around, any of those.

Your still cooking OK Pancho.

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice S&W.
I have a 5" Model 10, keep it loaded with 148 grain wadcutters for general purpose farm use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts