Some desert fun with the GSR, Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by ECVMatt, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ECVMatt

ECVMatt New Member

I have had my GSR for about 2 1/2 years and still love it. I take it on most of my desert ramblings as it is just about perfect. I always seem to read about folks that are not sure about accuracy, reliability, or performance, so I thought it was time for a little testing to update my older post.

Here is what I did:

I had two old closet doors, so I painted a target on each side totaling four. I fired five rounds as quick as possible from slinged, supported, prone. I fired from 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards or at least pretty close. I had to pace off the distance, so it could be +, - ten yards or so. I began firing from 100 yards, then immediately reloaded and moved back in 100 yard increments until I reached 400 yards.

So here are the results:

100 yard target: about two inch group

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

200 yard target: about 3.5 inch group

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

300 yard target: about nine inch group

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

400 yard target: about 19 inch group

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am running a traditional Leupold Scout Scope scope, so 400 yards was easy to hit, but harder to pick an exact hold over. My first round went low, and then I kind of got it figured out. The most interesting component of the 400 yard group is the horizontal dispersion; it is less than three inches. If I had figured out the hold over on the first shot, I would have had a group similar in size to the 300 yard group. That is something to work on.

Anyways it is a great rifle that shoots very well. Any creature with evil intent that comes within 400 yards or so must tread with heavy trepidations or at least carry a strong belief in the hereafter.

I hope this provides some useful information for folks looking to buy a Ruger Gunsite Rifle.

And now for some gratuitous GSR pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the look,

Matt

2. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Great looking rifle, pretty nice shooting and really liked the door shooting ;)

3. harrise

harrise New Member

Nice. Great description and accompanying pics. That's right about the distance I've been wondering about too. Looking like a VX-R is on the horizon for me.

4. ECVMatt

ECVMatt New Member

I thought it would be a good way to recycle!

5. firefox

firefox New Member

Very cool rifle! The GSR has been on my list since its release. Jeff Cooper has the right idea on this style of rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

6. kdunn

kdunn New Member

Why can't I get my hands on a GSR?

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum