Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had let the dog out late at night and he started growling and would jump back. He repeated this a few times and then I saw what he was excited about. Looked like a copperhead was slithering across the ground next to the house. I thought about shooting it but didn't have my pistol handy with bird shot in it and it slithered away pretty quick anyway. I thought well where there is one there usually is another around also.
So today I was mowing some high grass near my shed and the mower hit something so I pulled it back. Holy smokes there was a big dang snake. I put the mower right on top of it and it finally got chunked up by the mower blades. This was maybe a 3" diameter snake. If I hadn't pulled back I would probably have stepped right on it as I went on by with the mower. Oh that scares me walking in flip flops. I guess I need wear some high top boots when using the push mower.
This is why I try not letting the grass get to deep because then you have bigger chances of snakes using the high grass for cover. We have had so much rain it has been to wet to mow thus the grass got tall. IMO only good snake is a dead snake if it is poisonous. I mostly consider all snakes poisonous as I don't take the time to get close to check out his head shape.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I was ,finally, able to disc up my garden yesterday.

On one side of the garden plaot is a lot of scrub bushes ,about 6 feet from the actual garden, as I was passing up that side , I seen this 5 ft long King snake laying there, all stretched out.
As the tractor got close he high tailed it to the bushes. When I came back around he did it again. As I kept moving over away from that side, he finally didnt run anymore, he would stand up about 12" and watch as I went by.
I leave King snakes alone, because they kill Copperheads and other poisonous snakes. We are famous here for copperheads and rattlers, but I have only seen 1 copperhead in 15 years, but I see King snakes all over. They are big ones too.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I had let the dog out late at night and he started growling and would jump back. He repeated this a few times and then I saw what he was excited about. Looked like a copperhead was slithering across the ground next to the house. I thought about shooting it but didn't have my pistol handy with bird shot in it and it slithered away pretty quick anyway. I thought well where there is one there usually is another around also.
So today I was mowing some high grass near my shed and the mower hit something so I pulled it back. Holy smokes there was a big dang snake. I put the mower right on top of it and it finally got chunked up by the mower blades. This was maybe a 3" diameter snake. If I hadn't pulled back I would probably have stepped right on it as I went on by with the mower. Oh that scares me walking in flip flops. I guess I need wear some high top boots when using the push mower.
This is why I try not letting the grass get to deep because then you have bigger chances of snakes using the high grass for cover. We have had so much rain it has been to wet to mow thus the grass got tall. IMO only good snake is a dead snake if it is poisonous. I mostly consider all snakes poisonous as I don't take the time to get close to check out his head shape.
That's another thing about Vermont - damn few poisonous snakes. There used to be some timber rattlers, but now they exist only in one county west of the Green Mtn range, next to a couple snaky counties in NY. The bounty did them in. With the climate warming up, there would be more of them otherwise.

·
Registered
232 Posts

You are using the wrong type of mower. Get a riding mower, you have a great excuse now.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL I started out using my riding mower but the spark plug popped out. The threads had stripped a couple years ago and I installed a thread kit which held up until this season. I had put some red thread locker on it last week but it only lasted twenty minutes before it popped out again. I might have to try some high heat metal fill to make it hold or if that doesn't work I might have to replace the head. It's about a 15 year old mower.
It still is so wet I can't use my compact tractor and shredder because I might get it stuck or at least make a lot of ruts everywhere. As it is I can only mow around the house because it has dried up fairly well but the majority elsewhere I still have water standing.
I guess your king snake wanted to make sure you kept your distance.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,
You need to come to Az. I hear we have snakes out here and scorpions but they only last 3 weeks due to the heat. In the summertime we cook all of our breakfasts outside cuz we can cook eggs and burn sausage on the pavement. Before you drive your car, you go put some oven mitts on so you can touch the steering wheel and fist fights will break out at Wal-Mart cuz they have 1 shade tree. It's a dangerous world out here!
Tommy
P.S. Carry your 12 ga when you mow your yard!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My brother lived in Arizona and I have known a few that lived there. No way would I live where it is almost as hot as my water heater. I installed a carport and it was the best $700 I ever spent. It keeps the car way cooler out of the sun and no frosted or iced windshield in the winter. Texas is hot but no way near Arizona. LOL Don't tell me Arizona has a dry heat. You keep your dry heat and I will take my Houston almost raining humid heat.
I put window vent shades on the car and that also keeps the heat down inside the car while in the sun. Makes a big difference.
Years ago my car at that time had a dysfunctional a/c and as I came up to a red light there was a big tree making shade back about 30' from the light so I stopped under the tree for the shade. The light turned green and I proceeded through the intersection. LOL The guy behind me was pissed off.
So I don't hijack my own thread...........If a snake can't take the heat in AZ then I sure as heck couldn't either. Snake gets under an AZ rock it still gets broiled.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well today I went to walk the dog and I saw about a 4' snake laying in the grass. LOL I gave my dog's long leash a tug to get him back from it and the dang dog walked right over the snake. The dog didn't even notice the snake and the snake didn't even move as the dog walked over it.
I got my 22 Marlin Model 60 from the house and popped three rounds into the snake. Almost totally severed the snake below its head with the first round. Now my dog was going ape over it. I don't know what kind it was but it is a good snake now because it is dead.
Must be a coincidence because I was thinking about doing some target practice today if the rain quit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts