Snakes where you live

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, May 2, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Just curious about the different kind of snakes , in different areas of the country.

Got this idea while looking at another thread about snakes in the back yard.
    I believe there are parts of the US that don't have poisonous snakes, not sure.

I live in West Ky, and we got our share .
    We also have plenty non poisonous ones.

We are known for big Copperheads more than any, but Cottonmouth /Water Moccasins, and Timber Rattlers are plentiful also.

I guess the best non-poisonous one we have is the Black King Snake, which eats other poisonous species,
    So I have lots of these on my farm, and never hurt them.

COPPERHEAD
    [​IMG]

COTTONMOUTH/WATER MOCCASIN
    [​IMG]

TIMBER RATTLER
    [​IMG]

COMMON KING SNAKE
    [​IMG]

Of course we have several other species, but these are the ones I see most often.

Just wondering what you got in your area.

Jim

2. daveag

daveag New Member

I'm from North Missouri ,,by Iowa line. We have Timber rattlers Ive not seen any copperheads, they are farther South The Nature center in Blue Springs, MO has several venomous snakes. Twice a month they feed on Friday afternoons I take grandsons to watch live mice tossed in cages. These snakes strike so quickly ,it's a blur Timber rattler stirkes a mouse, within 1 or 2 seconds, mouse is on it's side twitching Copperhead takes a few seconds more to take effect. Watching thru a glass, inches away, You cannot follow timber snake attacking amazing to see

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Vermont used to have a small population of timber rattlers in the southern counties. Only one county still has any. The state keeps an eye on them, and tries to keep their specific locations from public knowledge (they are 'endangered').

4. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

Southern Missouri. We have cotton-mouths, copperheads and timber rattlers. A few years ago we saw some side-winders in a city park. I have lived here all my life and didn't know they were here. I still wonder if they had been turned loose.

5. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

In Iowa we have timber rattles and some other kind of western something-or-other that lives in 1 or 2 counties. Supposedly the timber rattlers are around where I live but I've never seen one and nobody I know has either. For "friendly" snakes we got tons of racers, garters, and bull snakes.

8. spikedriver

Dave - Not sure how far you are from Trenton but I can confirm there are tons of rattlers and cotton mouths around there. I worked there for a month and they would sun themselves on the ballast rock on the tracks. Had to be careful where you walked and where you put your hands!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  9. phideaux

sorry....but who is Dave and...Trenton where ?

Did I miss sumpin?

Jim

10. spikedriver

Lol Jim it was supposed to say "Daveag" - my phone autocorrected and I missed it. He said he was from North Missouri, that's where Trenton is.

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

We have the copperhead, cotton mouth, coral snake, and 3 rattlesnakes, the pigmy, canebrake, and the eastern diamondback.

12. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

13. phideaux

My buddy and I were moving some old bricks today , that were piled on a skid, but the skid had rotted and the bricks had tumbled , had to be restacked on another skid , so we could move it.

All of sudden he yelled out, (something), and jumped about 4 ft back and 2 ft high, ...snake....it was half way hanging out of a brick hole , that he picked up.:D:D

Needless to say, I laughed my butt off, and grabbed the 2 ft little guy by the tail , talked to him a little he was mad, and wanted to bite me.:(

I suppose it coulda been a Copperhead...:rolleyes:

So I walked over to the trees and let him go.

It was another species we have a lot of here.

Garter snake.
    [​IMG]

Jim

14. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

I have only seen 3 snakes in the 11.5 years I have lived on the Olympic peninsula. They were all a harmless species and all flat. They all committed suicide by car tires.

15. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

We had a big black snake living under a 100 year old farm house. It kept the area free from mice.

16. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

In the area I live, I believe we only have four venomous snakes:
    Water moccasins (cottonmouths).
    Coral snakes.
    Copperheads.
    Timber rattlesnakes. (Not as aggressive as western diamondbacks IMO).

17. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

18. hodge

hodge New Member

This count?

[​IMG]

19. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Nope. That's a mammal.

20. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

you sure about that?