Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here has a Colt Python or has shot one and also have they owned one or have shot the Ruger GP100 Match Champion? I am wondering how the guns compare over all and especially how do the triggers compare?
I guess I am hoping the two are so very similar so then I can let go of buying a Python. LOL The Python does have a lingering effect. I figure maybe a Match Champion could be the serum gun.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well nobody answered my question so I had to buy a Python to compare triggers. My excuse to justify getting one. The Python trigger is easier and smoother all the way. So yes for 3 times the cost of a GP Match Champion that has a great trigger you can have a Python that is perhaps 20 - 50 years old with a smoother trigger.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Well nobody answered my question so I had to buy a Python to compare triggers. My excuse to justify getting one. The Python trigger is easier and smoother all the way. So yes for 3 times the cost of a GP Match Champion that has a great trigger you can have a Python that is perhaps 20 - 50 years old with a smoother trigger.
Aha!!!
I knew you would end up getting that Python!!!! Good for you!!! NOW I AM JEALOUS!!!! Years ago I had a half a dozen Pythons blued and 1 nickel plated. I have not tried out the GP100 Match but do have a GP100 stainless, 4" barrel. Buster, I don't think you can find a better trigger than the Python. My GP100 is smooth although I was always going to have it smoothed just a hair more so it would be more like a Python. I shot my Pythons quite a bit and they dominated the market. Back then they ran about $600.00 which was a lot of money 50 years ago, but I was flush at the time and doing a lot of trading. To my notion (of I have many and you know) the only pistol that had a similar trigger was the Colt Diamondback. I borrowed one one time to carry as a back up on a deer hunt but I couldn't talk the owner out of it. I would still love to have a Python and a Diamondback but I know it won't happen at this time of my life. Enjoy the heck out of it and I am happy for you, you ole geezer! (Thought we were both geezers the way they talked a couple weeks ago)
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard they make a trigger kit for the GP100 that makes the stock trigger become the cats meow. I saw a video about it and it only took the smithy like 5-10 minutes to change it out. The smooth trigger is why I bought the Match Champion. I have heard the trigger kit on the GP100 makes the trigger much like the MC trigger.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was talking with a friend about her riding lawn tractors and how one steered so much easier than the other. She said it was like one had power steering and the other didn't have it.
Then we got talking about guns because she said I hadn't taught her how to take a semi- auto out of single action. She also said she was a better shot than I was even though I taught her how to shoot. She is right eye dominate but shoots using left eye. Well actually when she pulls the trigger she shuts both eyes. I laughed and said that's her story and I thought well those that can't become teachers. No offense to you teachers out there. It is just a saying I heard that might apply to me.
I told her I would show her how to do it when we got to my house. I told her the difference between my new Match Champion and the Python was like comparing the tractors. It was like the Python trigger action was compared to having power steering where as the Match Champion didn't. I had her try the action on the MC then the Python. I always get a kick out of people when they experience an awesome trigger action. Like pulling a 1911 trigger the first time.

·
Banned
475 Posts
I have shot a Python, and there is really nothing to compare it to, in the revolver world.................................except for maybe the wife's revolver with spring work and lots of polishing...................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts