snaaaaake

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, May 5, 2018.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I had a small diameter 2-3' snake in my house Monday and luckily I got it towards the front door and then I pitched it outside with a broom handle. Well Thursday I was outside and I saw a bird diving at the ground. I know usually when that happens the bird is trying to persuade something in the grass to leave the area. I looked in the grass and there was about a 3' snake that was about two fingers round size.

I went into the house to get my 12ga Remington 1100 and when I got back outside I didn't see the snake. I kept watch for a few minutes then I saw the bird again diving at the ground about 35 yards from me. I shot once and I saw the snake do a flip in the grass. I shot another round and again I had hit the snake. I walked up within about 10' of the snake and I shot another round blowing off the snake's head. This snake wasn't coming into my house for sure.

I don't know what kind snake it was or if it was poisonous because the head was blown off. The coloration of the snake has a definite pattern to it. Anybody know what the snake might be? Besides dead! LOL snake2018 002.JPG snake2018 004.JPG

2. greg_r

greg_r Member

Hard to tell without a head, but I think you shot yourself a hognose snake.

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Active Member

I would agree with greg.

4. barrya

barrya New Member

Rat snake. Barry

5. DParker

DParker New Member

It was a harmless one. Now it's one that will no longer be eating any mice, rats or any of the other actually harmful vermin that makes such snakes beneficial to have around.

crf8 likes this.
  6. buster40c

After looking at TX snakes I believe too that it was a rat snake. After having one in the house the day before I just wanted to make sure this one didn't get into the house.

My neighbors next to me have an acre with a pond and the acre is grown over which makes it a snake haven. I like to keep my acreage mowed to discourage the snakes from coming this way.

7. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

What bad snakes do you have there around the neighborhood?

8. jbardellini

There pond bring out mocks and rattle snakes

9. buster40c

I imagine the pond has mocks for sure. If there is a pond and it is all grown up with weeds you can bet there will be all kinds of snakes. The neighbor sells grave stones. One guy used to mow around the many grave stones with a weed eater and he was often cussing because he rousted many snakes. I have yet to see a rattle snake around here. LOL I don't want to see any either.

10. jbardellini

The mocks are one mean and aggressive snake

crf8 likes this.
  11. buster40c

I was fishing on Lake Conroe in a small john boat back near the lagoons and I must have seen half a dozen mocks going across the water with their heads at least a foot above water. I got the heck out of there.
    Good thing I did because a bad storm blew in and the small boat kept being pushed to shore. I had to get out of the boat and push it away from the shore and the little7 hp motor worked hard to get me away from the shore. We were last off the lake.

12. tsveggie

tsveggie New Member

I held a fox snack once
    Instead of diamonds like a rattlesnake these were ovals with similar colors

13. spikedriver

spikedriver Member

It's a newsworthy event to see a venomous snake around here. That's one of the things I like about living here - no bad snakes, no scorpions, no fire ants, no tarantulas, and no swimming nasties either.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

A rat snake in the house insures no mice, but I would sure be looking to how he got in.

15. buster40c

It got in because the rear sliding door was open. I was leaving it open some so the dogs could go in and out.

16. greg_r

greg_r Member

Not a particular fan of snakes.we have copperheads and rattle snakes here. We are right on the edge of water moccasin boundary, so we don't see any here,but just a few miles south they abound. I will kill any poisonous snake I run across, but I leave the non poisonous ons alone, although I don't particularly want one in the house. Black snakes and King snakes mean no copperheads or Rattlers. c9d89b9313e1195d00ce0d0f0658746f.jpg