Slide wear on SR1911 (lightweight CMD)

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by hodge, Oct 1, 2015.

1. hodge

hodge New Member

I have about 200 rounds through my 1911, and I absolutely love it. I clean it after each outing, and I keep it lubed up.
    I have noticed wear marks on the bottom of the slide, where it cycles back into the frame. Obviously, the front lip of the frame is slightly rubbing as it cycles- anybody notice this on theirs?
    Mine is not a safe queen, and I view it as a tool, not the Mona Lisa. But, I do care about aesthetics, and I am wrestling with whether I should contact Ruger about it. It isn't going to affect the running of the gun, but I do notice it everytime I pick it up to admire it...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. hodge

hodge New Member

Now that I've brought the issue up on the forum, I decided to go ahead and contact Ruger. I will keep you folks posted.

3. Hey Hodge... Sorry that y'all is hav'n that problem. Does there seem to be any burrs there on the inside of the alloy frame edge ? Looks like something inside the alloy frame is causing the marks, but what's odd about that is the marks seem from the photo to be only on the initial slide going back early on and not the whole way down the slide. I wonder if the slide is a bit fat in that area versus the frame... Not sure though, but Ruger's CS is the best that way...

4. hodge

hodge New Member

No burrs, and I oil that area when I service the gun. It is only on that side of the slide. Everything is very tight- no rattles, no excessive movement.
    I emailed Ruger, and they responded by asking for a photo.
    I am very happy with my 1911, and with Ruger. I both look forward to working through this with Ruger, and experiencing their customer service. My philosophy is that the barometer of a business isn't necessarily their product, but their service. I have confidence in my Ruger products, and the company.

5. Best of luck for sure and let us know how it all went for ya. I'm pretty dang sure Ruger CS will make it right. Now that ya mentioned it I now see the marks only being on that one side so maybe the fit is a bit tight there or just a tad off. If ya have to send it back Ruger CS they will send ya out a prepaid shipping label or sometimes even a box also. They have a very quick turn around in my experience and when ya get it back she should be just like new again.

6. hodge

hodge New Member

They responded back quickly, asking for photos (the one I linked to them wouldn't open up). I am very confident that I will be more than satisfied with their service, plus to be blunt, I am so happy with my 1911 that this is just a minor issue that I could deal with it it is too much trouble to remedy. It isn't the end of the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hodge

hodge New Member

Ruger made contact yesterday, and requested that I send the complete pistol back to them. I spoke with Venessa, who was pleasant and professional. I may have misunderstood, and I'm not hanging my hat on it, but I believe that she said they would replace the gun.
    She emailed me the proper forms and a prepaid shipping label, 2nd day FedEx. It will go out this morning.

8. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

It does seem a bit excessive after only 200 rds......................................................

9. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Sometimes it's cheaper to replace the gun than it is to fix a frame or slide problem- plus, they keep their incredible customer service intact. I'm betting on a new pistol coming your way.

10. hodge

hodge New Member

It is now in Phoenix. I love tracking.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

This may sound silly to you, but when it comes to my 1911's past and present, my slides are completely filled and coated with oil. When I get done at the range my first duty is to clean my guns and then I "soak" them in oil. Now I use a light oil but my fingers are a mess and I have to take a rag and wipe down the outside with a clean cloth but I am one of those who thinks you can over oil a 1911. I am so happy to hear you are getting a new weapon. I guarantee that you will be pleased with it. I shoot my LW Commander weekly and periodically drag out my other Commander and my full size to "keep them in tweek". Good luck and let us know how you turn out. So glad that they are going to satisfy your desires!!!!

Tommy

12. hodge

hodge New Member

I oil that area- anywhere that friction can happen. It still marred the stainless.
    Ruger is now in posession of it. Now the wait to hear from them. Patience is not one of my strong suits.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Hodge,

I made a mistake in my previous posting. I meant to say that you can't "over oil" a 1911 especially in the slide area. Any time and any place that metals come into contact there is friction as you posted. But you already know that. I just hope Ruger comes through for you and they repair/replace your firearm to your satisfaction. Please keep us posted and updated on your results. I wish you the best of luck. I know I sure like my SR1911's, especially my LW.

Tommy

14. hodge

hodge New Member

I knew what you meant.:metal2: While I am careful not to goop up my guns, I do make it a point to learn (not assume) how each firearm is intended to be lubricated, and I make sure that they are lubed to the plus side. I also clean and re-lube them if they sit for a time. I am a preventative-maintenance type of person. Plus, I enjoy doing it. It's a labor of love.

15. hodge

hodge New Member

I have no idea what the outcome is, but I received a tracking notice from FedEx that I will be receiving a package from Ruger on Thursday.
    Ruger did let me know that if there were any charges, I would be emailed prior to doing the work. Otherwise, there would be an explanation of work in the box with my gun.
    Now, I need to find some sleep-aid. Tonight and tomorrow night are going to be worse than Christmas eve for a kid.

16. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep that's how Ruger works. You get a UPS or FedEx tracking number that your gun is on its way back to you. I doubt they replaced the complete gun because that I believe would have to go through an FFL because change of serial number. I may be wrong about that.
    Ruger will include a list showing what they replaced for the repair on your gun and a test fire report. Check the gun thoroughly when you get it back to see it is all ok.

17. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I am praying for you buddy but I am sure Ruger will make right anything that is wrong with your Commander. I wouldn't worry- it's on the way and now wait and think about when you will have time to go out and shoot it. There is a Santie Claus Virginia!!!

Tommy

18. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Whats yalls thoughts on the way I lube the slide and slide groove on ,not only, my 1911s, but most all of my semi auto pistols?

I been using a hi-grade synthetic Moly lube grease,
    Apply it with a artist brush, and only leave a very, very thin layer.

I been told that ,over time, the moly actually impregnates the metal for even greater protection.

It has worked extremely well for me for many years.
    I also use it on my rifles bolt carrier rail, and notice a much smoother action. DO NOT over do it though.;):)

Just wanted yalls opinion.

Jim

19. hodge

hodge New Member

I say that the proof is in the pudding. If you have done it that way for enough time to know that it is protecting your gun, then it works. I have followed many threads on gun lubes and practices, and I have deduced a couple of things-
    1) There is no other subject that has more experts, than when it comes to guns.
    2) There is no one way to do it, and everything else is wrong.
    3) There is no one, do-it-all lube product.
    4) There ARE many ways to skin the cat, and if it makes you comfortable, fits your wallet, and produces results, then it's good.
    5) It is much more important to have a regular maintenance schedule, and to do it thoroughly, than it is to get stuck on one product. I use a synthetic grease where critical sliding happens, and gun oil elsewhere.

I believe that most shooters never run their firearms enough to tax whatever they are using for lube. In other words, they could probably get by with most anything, and their guns would be fine. They clean and reapply before the current lube/grease is getting worn out, evaporated, dripped, or contaminated.

A member on Sigtalk brought up one good point about petroleum lubricants- obviously your face, nose, and mouth are pretty close to your firearms. Long term ingestion of fumes from petroleum products burning off probably isn't wise; non-petroleum based lubes are probably better for your health. That may be a consideration, and it may not. It is worth considering.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  20. hodge

hodge New Member

It's on the truck for delivery!
    I'd give the driver a tip, if he'd come here first.