Slide Material: Stainless Steel or Alloy Steel?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by TeleGuy53, Dec 9, 2015.

1. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Guys, what are the differences between stainless steel and alloy steel slides, in terms of preventative care and long-term durability?

Also, what do I need to know about brushed stainless and black nitride finishes?

I prefer the "all black" look, but would defer to the material/finish which is most enduring.

Thanks for your help, guys.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Blue/black steel tends to be a little more wear resistant, so I have read. If you routinely holster the gun, that finish will eventually show wear. My routine cleaning/maintenance is the same for both blued and stainless, so rust resistance is irrelevant. The modern finishes, Ceracote etc, I know nothing about.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My understanding ( not being a metallurgist) is that stainless steel is harder/tougher than alloy steel,
    Of course that may depend on the alloy...Titanium ???

Stainless is non magnetic,also more resistant to oxidation that none-stainless steel.

No finish is really needed on stainless steel, for protection, such as durocoat, cerekote, bluing , black oxide, or nitride , other than for looks.

This^^^ is just me thinkin out loud.
    ;)

Jim

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My semi-informed guess is that a stainless slide is not as hard as a 4140 steel slide. Neither hardness nor 'toughness' is a direct indicator of wear anyway.

BTW that '4140' or '4150' number specifies the percentage of specific non-iron metals in the steel. I used to know more about it long ago, and the internet can probably fill in the blanks. I hope to avoid checking, because adding that info to my brain may cause other info to become unavailable. Some stuff, like where I live, I'd like to hang onto.

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

See , that just shows to go ya, how much I don't know,

I thought 4140 and 4150 were stainless grades.

I not sure I even know where I live now... :(:rolleyes:

Jim

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah, adds new meaning to "Knowledge is dangerous", eh?

7. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Oh, brother. What have I done? Nothing like adding more propaganda to the rumor mill! :eek:

I'll Google it. Thanks, anyway, guys... ;)

8. hodge

hodge New Member

Stainless versus steel- you will never wear out either one, unless the gun isn't cared for. I prefer stainless- I have both natural finish as well is PVD coated- and milled out of a block instead of folded. That is due to weight- it manages recoil- and the warm-fuzzy feeling.
    I believe that the more pertinent consideration is steel/stainless slides on alloy frames, and steel/stainless on polymer. But, again, an owner who remotely cares for their gun will never wear one out. Keep the rails greased, clean and relube on a regular basis, and don't look back. The only failures that I've seen, and not in person but on forums, has been from neglected guns run in extreme environments.
    So, I believe that the answer to the question will boil down to preference and warm-fuzzy assurances, not the difference between what will fail you and what won't.
    I have just as much confidence in my steel on polymer Glock as I do my stainless on stainless Sig P220. Aside from that confidence, I know which one I prefer to have strapped to my belt! The Glock feels great, the Sig makes me walk funny...

For anyone interested, this is my uncatalogued Sig P220 Reverse Two-Tone Carry. Stainless slide finished in Nitron on a natural stainless frame-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  9. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

As you say, it's not a matter of the slide ever failing; however, it IS a matter of aesthetics and maintenance.

Aesthetics is simply a matter of taste; however, everyone has their limits, in terms of maintenance requirements.

Being retired now, my preferences for maintenance requirements are "little" and "none". ;)