Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, what are the differences between stainless steel and alloy steel slides, in terms of preventative care and long-term durability?

Also, what do I need to know about brushed stainless and black nitride finishes?

I prefer the "all black" look, but would defer to the material/finish which is most enduring.

Thanks for your help, guys.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Blue/black steel tends to be a little more wear resistant, so I have read. If you routinely holster the gun, that finish will eventually show wear. My routine cleaning/maintenance is the same for both blued and stainless, so rust resistance is irrelevant. The modern finishes, Ceracote etc, I know nothing about.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
My understanding ( not being a metallurgist) is that stainless steel is harder/tougher than alloy steel,
Of course that may depend on the alloy...Titanium ???

Stainless is non magnetic,also more resistant to oxidation that none-stainless steel.

No finish is really needed on stainless steel, for protection, such as durocoat, cerekote, bluing , black oxide, or nitride , other than for looks.

This^^^ is just me thinkin out loud.
;)

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
My semi-informed guess is that a stainless slide is not as hard as a 4140 steel slide. Neither hardness nor 'toughness' is a direct indicator of wear anyway.

BTW that '4140' or '4150' number specifies the percentage of specific non-iron metals in the steel. I used to know more about it long ago, and the internet can probably fill in the blanks. I hope to avoid checking, because adding that info to my brain may cause other info to become unavailable. Some stuff, like where I live, I'd like to hang onto.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
See , that just shows to go ya, how much I don't know,

I thought 4140 and 4150 were stainless grades.

I not sure I even know where I live now... :(:rolleyes:

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
See , that just shows to go ya, how much I don't know,

I thought 4140 and 4150 were stainless grades.

I not sure I even know where I live now... :(:rolleyes:

Jim
Yeah, adds new meaning to "Knowledge is dangerous", eh?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, brother. What have I done? Nothing like adding more propaganda to the rumor mill! :eek:

I'll Google it. Thanks, anyway, guys... ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Stainless versus steel- you will never wear out either one, unless the gun isn't cared for. I prefer stainless- I have both natural finish as well is PVD coated- and milled out of a block instead of folded. That is due to weight- it manages recoil- and the warm-fuzzy feeling.
I believe that the more pertinent consideration is steel/stainless slides on alloy frames, and steel/stainless on polymer. But, again, an owner who remotely cares for their gun will never wear one out. Keep the rails greased, clean and relube on a regular basis, and don't look back. The only failures that I've seen, and not in person but on forums, has been from neglected guns run in extreme environments.
So, I believe that the answer to the question will boil down to preference and warm-fuzzy assurances, not the difference between what will fail you and what won't.
I have just as much confidence in my steel on polymer Glock as I do my stainless on stainless Sig P220. Aside from that confidence, I know which one I prefer to have strapped to my belt! The Glock feels great, the Sig makes me walk funny...

For anyone interested, this is my uncatalogued Sig P220 Reverse Two-Tone Carry. Stainless slide finished in Nitron on a natural stainless frame-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I believe that the answer to the question will boil down to preference and warm-fuzzy assurances, not the difference between what will fail you and what won't.
As you say, it's not a matter of the slide ever failing; however, it IS a matter of aesthetics and maintenance.

Aesthetics is simply a matter of taste; however, everyone has their limits, in terms of maintenance requirements.

Being retired now, my preferences for maintenance requirements are "little" and "none". ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts