Single-six Convertible Revolver Opinions

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by seabeesbob, Aug 21, 2013.

1. seabeesbob

seabeesbob New Member

I am considering buying one of these, and was wondering what those who own them think about them. Shoot good, durable, fun to shoot etc.
    Thank for any advise.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  2. jimmyp

jimmyp New Member

You will not be disappointed, wonderful revolver. Can't say I've ever heard a bad thing about them. I have always loved mine. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Never owned one, never heard anything bad.

BTW..
    Welcome to Rugertalk,
    glad you joined us.
    Id like to encourage you to visit Introductions, and tell us a little about yourself.

Jim

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Solid as a rock. Built like a tank. Etc. and all the other good stuff about Ruger Single actions.

Here is my '76 "Liberty" model, Single Six. I had a few othes. This particular one is extemely accurate.

[​IMG]

5. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Had one in the past and loved to shoot it. Fun gun and accurate. Very dependable and they hold value.

6. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

You can't go wrong... ;)

[​IMG]

7. weblance

weblance New Member

Bill Rugers' first gun was the Mark pistol that we all know and love. Bill Rugers' second gun was the Single Six. The man hit 2 Home Runs in a row. There arguably isnt a better Single Action 22 revolver made. With any care, they last literally for generations. My only complaint was they run out of ammo too quickly when plinking. The Single Ten/Single Nine solved that issue. I have 2 SSs and a Single Ten. The ST is my favorite. Swapping in the Magnum cylinder into the SS convertible makes it an entirely different gun. Great revolver. I doubt you will find many complaints.

8. seabeesbob

seabeesbob New Member

KMO I was wondering what the barrel length is on the guns pictured, this is a decision with many options. Thanks.

9. seabeesbob

seabeesbob New Member

KMO also the grips are super what is the snake looking one made off?

10. weblance

weblance New Member

I can answer the barrel length Q. Top is 6.5", bottom is 5.5"

11. ccryder

ccryder New Member Lifetime Supporter

I've bought 2 for my Wife. She loves single action pistoles and doesn't want the kick of a bigger caliber. One blue and one Stainless.

We live in the country so ill give her 200 rounds and she will tear up steel spinner targets from 15 yards. Then I'll switch cylinders to .22WM for a while and there is no difference. I keep the .22WM cylinder in for home defense. I pity someone that breaks into our house, they won't get far. If she runs out of ammo with the Single Six, she will grab my XDm 9mm, or the 870 Tactical in the closet.

Time2eat
    Neil S

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

12. mag318

mag318 Member

Single Six's are my favorite 22s and Ruger has maintained their quality thru the decades on these. I have Old and New Models and enjoy both. Ruger has made a true classic in the SS.

13. trex130

trex130 New Member

Here is my Ruger Single Six. I shoot mostly .22 WMR's in mine.

Attached Files:

14. repair

repair New Member

I had one great gun.
    I wish I still had it always used the 22 mag. but the short and longs were great too.

15. Rabjr1961

Rabjr1961 New Member

I own 3 all pre 1969, one is from the 1950's and pre convertable and all 3 are accurate and work every time.

16. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

Sorry for the delay, seabeesbob. My Single Six is the convertible version with a 6" barrel. The grips are a cast resin material, and found at this website: http://riograndecustomgrips.com/rugersarevolvergrips.html
    My Single Ten has the 5" barrel, and has Hogue black pearl grips: http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=100_101_105&products_id=96

17. trainman

trainman Member

As I mentioned in my introduction, I bought a single six in 1957. Old Model. I have put thousands of rounds through it. Then when the New Models came out, they sent me a letter asking me to send in the gun, and they would convert it free. Instead, I just bought another one. This time a stainless convertable. I don't use the wmr much, but I sure have put lots of long rifles through it. It is accurate and indestructable. One of my most favorite guns, next to my Vaqueros.

18. usmarine3533

usmarine3533 combat veteran

I love mine dead on and fun as hell. 1381795423073.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Ruger Forum mobile app

19. 00b5

00b5 Member

Mine isn't a convertible but I bought it in 74 and not a bit of trouble. Except it does run out of ammo pretty quick.

Attached Files:

20. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy Member

I have two, both are early New Models from the 1970's. Both are farm guns.
    One is a 5 1/2" that I keep CCI magnum snake shot in, the other is a 6 1/2" that stays loaded with magnums (combination of Remington V-Max and Federal 50 grain) and is my constant companion around the Ol' Homestead. The magnums out of a handgun give me slightly more power than a 22LR out of a rifle in a much handier package.
    Great for going out at dusk to put the chickens up for the night. One time I found a possum in the coop looking for the all-you-can-eat chicken buffet and I was unarmed ----never again!