Single or not

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by conservative, Feb 19, 2017.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

I'm back again! Took a break from the firearms research for a while. I have been looking at single action revolvers i.e. Cowboy guns. I was wondering if single action would be a good starting gun. Looking at heritage rough rider 22lr. Price is good for me as long as I don't opt for the additional 22 mag cylinder. Heard a guy say that s/a is harder to master than d/a but it's safer. I know it's somewhat objective and that I still have no experience. Opinion/experience?

2. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

I'm not familiar with Heritage Firearms but I love my 22 Single-Six and feel it is very appropriate for a new shooter. It was the gun both my kids learned to shoot with it and I've had many friends try shooting with it for the first time, too.

The fact that ammo for it is relatively inexpensive is a bonus as well because you will most likely put a lot of lead down range, if you do purchase a single action revolver.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

S/A .22s are fun, that's for sure. I don't know about safer. I do know that a person should always carry one on an empty chamber.
    As far as the Rough Rider goes, I never owned one but I've handled and shot one. They go bang and aren't fussy. They just aren't as "nice" as a Ruger or other name brand guns.

4. conservative

conservative New Member

What about using them for ccw ?

5. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

I have never considered using my Single-Six as my ccw as I personally feel the barrel is too long for proper concealment. Maybe if I had a shorter barrel length and the proper holster I would entertain the thought.

After looking at the Heritage website, if I was limited to purchasing one of their 22 revolvers for ccw, I'd most likely select the RR22MB3BH combo and go with the magnum when I carried.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
  6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Going by what I've read and the gun I handled at the LGS, the Heritage action is pretty rough. It would probably clean up some, if the cleaner-upper knows what he's doing.

Seems like carrying a SA 22 for self defense pretty much guarantees you're going to be outgunned if/when a 'situation' arises. That bird's head gun Fireman22 found looks like it would be a fun shooter though.

7. conservative

conservative New Member

Been looking around and saw that there are left and right handed guns. Being a lefty, I was wondering what the difference is. Also, are there other "quality" s/a revolvers for $150-$250? Having read the comments above , I am looking for a 3-4" barrel. 22lr definitely 22mag optional.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Always remember...95% of the time...you GET what you PAY FOR.

Also...Do you really want to trust you life to a "bargain" firearm for CCW !?

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have two Heritage single action revolvers. One is 4" with the extra mag cylinder and it shot low left 4" off of a rest. Had to bend and file down the front sight. It shoots so-so now. I have a 6" and it shoots okay. The trigger on both guns are fairly light. I wouldn't even think of carrying either of these guns,
    There are some inexpensive revolvers available but some aren't worth taking home. Some are jamamatics because the cylinders lock up. The RIA inexpensive revolvers have mostly gotten decent reviews but I think I would save some more bucks and buy a better gun.
    I bought a police trade in S&W 640-1 for $329 and there wee some S&W model 10 trade in revolvers going for around $299. The model 10 at that price would be a great gun for you to start with. Save some more money and get a good dependable gun.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I agree with buster40c, a used 38 special way surpasses a 22lr for self defense. The price of 22lr ammo right now is also comparable.:)

11. conservative

conservative New Member

Ok but is single action a viable option for a ccw?

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have 2 .22 cal pistols. First one is a Ruger Mark II and the other is a Smith and Wesson 6 shot DA Model 17-5. I would NOT consider either for them for a CCW weapon. If you have not had firearms training or been associated with firearms previously then I would strongly suggest taking a weapons course and renting some pistols before I made any decision on what to carry for CCW. There are many things to take into consideration before deciding on which pistol you want and need. Even if you have had some firearms training, from the sounds of it, I would consider taking some more classes. A .22 is a poor choice for self defense.

Tommy

I believe we have gone through this before if I am not mistaken!!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  13. conservative

conservative New Member

Yeah have gone through the 22 thing before . I guess like a lot of things in the gun world, it's a personal choice.

14. conservative

conservative New Member

Was mainly wanting input on s/a for ccw.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

A single action can be used for CCW, you should use what you are most familiar with. I would like to address a comment made earlier on this thread. A single action that does not have a transfer bar should be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer. The Ruger single actions with a transfer bar are safe with all chambers loaded. In fact with the cylinders able to move until the hammer is drawn back it would be awful hard to keep an empty under the hammer.

16. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I have the RR birdshead .22. It's surprisingly good for the price. Lots of fun to shoot. Mine has the plastic ivory grips and they feel really good in the hand.

The only negatives are the finish is cheap paint and the sights are hard to see. I painted the front sight white and put flat black paint on the rear, as the gloss black creates reflections that throw off sight alignment.

17. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Oldhand - thanks for the clarification about the transfer bar. I didn't think about that. I just always think of how I was taught to load a SA for safety, so the hammer was on the empty chamber. If I had a Single Six I probably would have been loading 5 just out of ignorance...

18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Sure you can carry S/A for self defense... But you better be dang good with it. I mean Dang Good!
    And you're still likely to be at a disadvantage.

Even a .22 mag ain't enough gun IMO, even more of a disadvantage.
    And a cheap S/A revolver in .22 LR for ccw, what kind of flowers would your family like?

Hear what I'm sayin? ... Know what I mean?
    :dunno:

19. conservative

conservative New Member

20. conservative

conservative New Member

So would anyone like to stand up as live targets while I do some practice with a lowly weak 22lr. ? ...... yeah I thought not.