Single action fun

Discussion in 'Ruger Photos' started by greg_r, Sep 24, 2017.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Well, the SP101 is double action, but I shot it single action. Does that count?

Got to clean them before bed time!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Any way you shoot is more fun then them just sitting in the safe. I probably shoot more in single action than double. I have found I am often more accurate shooting double action than single action.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I shoot single action more than double just so the shooting lasts longer. Takes me an hour to load 50 rounds with my single stage loading, want to take my time and enjoy the fruits of my labor.:D

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Oldhand I sure wish I could reload ammo as quick as I can shoot it. I am loading my last 100 of 44 spl today. I will have 500 again that I will go through to fast. It takes me around 50 minutes to load a hundred.

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Buster, what kind of press do you use? I have a Lee Classic Cast turret. That I can load about 250 cartridges per hour with.

A friend bought a Lee Loadmaster for $75 at a yard sale. He asked me to help him learn how to reload with it. I had never used that press, so I spent some time learning it and setting it up for 40 S&W. After getting comfortable with it, I loaded 100 cartridges in a little less than 15 minutes!

My brother is a Hornady fan and uses the Hornady Lock-N-Load Ammo Plant. He claims 500 -600 cartridges per hour. I can not stand all the noise that it makes though.

I load my target 308, 223, and 44 Magnum on a couple of RCBS Jr presses. I prime with a RCBS bench mounted auto prime. An old Redding Hunter measure to drop the powder and then trickle the charge . It takes me close to an hour to load 50.

Most of my ammo is loaded on the classic cast turret. I have a tool head complete with powder measure set up for each caliber I load. Takes about a minute to set up a different caliber. Swap out the turret and shell holder and I'm done! I was out of 9mm not long ago. I store it in a plano ammo can, the can holds 1200 rounds, give or take. I filled the can in 4 hours. That's fast enough for me.

6. Oldhand

I worked at a range for three years, with the exception of one person, all the barrels with stuck bullets and blown up chambers happened from guys with progressive presses. The one exception was a guy who said "this always happens when someone distracts me while reloading." To him I suggested using a flashlight to go over his cases before putting the bullets in the cases. I know there are guys who are vigilant and do not have problems. But incorrect powder charges and no powder can happen when to much is going on and you are not careful.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly that nothing should be able to detract you when reloading, regardless of what type of press you use.

On my turret press, and I recommend this on any automated press, I use a RCBS lock out die on on cartridges that accept it, and the Hornady Powder Cop on cases that will not accept the lockout die. I like the lockout die better because it binds up the press if something is amiss, but the Powder Cop gives a visual that you can not miss.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  8. Oldhand

I am glad to here they have come out with safeguards. I was given a Dillon progressive press about five years ago but traded it off. I enjoy reloading and don't shoot so much that I can't keep up using my single stage. The accuracy of my reloads keeps me satisfied with what I am doing.:D

9. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

It counts in my book !

I'm a old three screw Blackhawk and single stage press reloader myself.
    Gary

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yeah, I use a single station press too.
    When I used to load .44 Mag's and still load .357's I find that I need to trim a few cases in most batches.
    (Auto-loader brass seems to shrink in length?) :confused:
    So I size, measure and trim any that need it... figure my crimp is more consistent that way.
    Also after I charge all the cases I look at every one to be sure all powder levels are the same.
    Haven't had a reject yet.... still checking anyway.

I had three S/A's, now down to two after I moved out the Super Blackhawk.
    Someday I'll get around to a .357, SS, 4.5/8" barrel with extra 9mm cylinder... Someday. :dunno:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  11. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

These are some fine looking SA's you all have,greg_r & MagnumBlackhawk.

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Some of you guys are gonna laugh but I still use my old Herter's single stage press. I know it's time consuming as I have to tumble the brass, resize, hand pour my powder and then set the bullet. The good part of this is it takes time so I don't get in a hurry and have less chance of having a bad load. I also have to prime with my Lyman hand primer. The only distraction I have is having my TV on and listening to the golden oldies from the 60's. I also put a sign on my door that I am reloading and it is a "Do Not Disturb". That way I am totally involved in not screwing up. I will load 50 rounds, take a break and then do another 50. I don't get into a hurry and try to ensure each round is the same length by case gauging all my rounds.

Tommy

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I like your style, Tommy. I do the single stage, hand prime, 50 at a time thing too. With a memory like mine, no choice.

14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I have always used a single stage. I have a hand primer but I don't have the shell holders for it so I still prime on the press. I don't mind how much time it takes, plenty of free time during the winter to load for spring and summer.......

15. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Wkile I load most of my cartridges on the turret press, I will always have a place for the single stage. I have 2 RCBS single stage that I use for forming and case prep. Some cartridges like the 223, 280, 308, 7.62x54R, 45-70, and 44 Magnum I load exclusively on the single stage presses. I load these cartridges for maximum accuracy and usually to maximum pressure levels. Every charge is accurately weighed.

The turret I measure powder by volume, usually mid range loads. I could use the turret as a single stage I guess, it is certainly up to the task, but the single stage forces me to slow down. Instead of a simple twist of the turret, I have to change dies between stages.