Sights on GP100 / 3" barrel

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by robat1, Sep 24, 2016.

1. robat1

robat1 New Member

Hi All,
    Just purchased my first handgun. A GP100 - 357 magnum with 3" barrel. Will use for home defense. For me, in low light situations the sights are difficult to focus on. Anybody have any suggestions on an upgrade of the front sight or a laser sight? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. JohnR

JohnR New Member

If you have the fixed sights like my 3", try a dab of white paint on the front sight.

If they're interchangeable I have the Williams Firesights on my 4" GP and they are outstanding.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

For home defense inside the home, unless you live in an open bay or a mansion, I suggest you do not focus on the sight. Focus on the target. You need to put in enough range time to know where the gun is pointing, to put rounds CoM at 30 feet on in. A tritium front sight will help, but shouldn't be your focus.

The 'other option' is a laser sight. Then your focus is on the target anyway. You still should be point&shoot at ranges under 30 feet.

The critical factor is effective shooting soon enough. Home defense ain't like target shooting, or hunting either (though, if you have experienced full-blown buck fever there is a similarity, I'm guessing).

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with VT about not using the sights. At home defense distances, you shouldn't need em.

5. robat1

robat1 New Member

Excellent advice VThillman ang SG. I'll try to be more proficient in point and shoot accuracy. I appreciate the comment. Back to the range for me.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I might add to point and shoot, at least for me takes a lot of practice and ammo. I try to point shoot and double tap all the time and I can burn through a lot of ammo when I do. Of course, that could just be me also.

Tommy