Sight of Ruger LCP Wards off Would-Be Assailant

1. GPS1504

GPS1504 New Member

It's long been said that you should not bring a knife to a gun fight. While both weapons are able to do great damage, the reach of a firearm is greater. The bullet moves faster and cuts deeper, stopping trouble in many cases before it even has a chance to start.

The Location

Coeur d'Alene is the name of both a city and lake nestled in the Idaho Panhandle. The lake is beautiful and scenic, having been formed along with other lakes at the hands of the Missoula Floods which occurred more than 12,000 years ago. Billed as the 'Lakeside Playground,' the area features 55 lakes, one of them being Lake Coeur d'Alene. A popular tourist area, there are many recreational offerings for visitors and locals alike to enjoy, but unfortunately something darker occurred there recently.

The Incident

While walking with his daughter near Lake Coeur d'Alene, a retired marine was approached by a man with a knife, according to news outlet KREM. This man asked the marine, Anthony Broyles, for money, but Broyles suspected there was something else at the heart of the request, that being a plan to kidnap Broyles' daughter.

Though the knife-wielding man attempted to sneak up on the marine, Broyles was prepared. He drew his Ruger LCP .380, a gun he was carrying legally thanks to the permit he acquired earlier this year. When he drew the firearm, he was quick to chamber a round and aim it at his would-be assailant in order to protect the well-being of his daughter. Seeing the firearm, the assailant decided that this day was not, in fact, a good day to bring a knife to a gun fight, and fled the area.

View attachment 11039
    Photo: Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

The Outcome

Anthony Broyles and his daughter are safe today because of the Ruger LCP legally permitted for carry by Broyles. Although the true intentions of their assailant may never be known, what is known is that a firearm was very likely to have saved their lives that day. Though the article states that he cocked the firearm, the Ruger LCP has a bobbed hammer that does not allow for cocking, so the question remains if the true meaning here is that a round was chambered.

In Closing

While there is the question of whether or not Broyles would have been better off carrying his weapon with a round in the chamber, the weapon alone was enough deterrent to dissuade the person who intended to harm them...this time.

In many cases, altercations such as this end without a shot being fired, but there is no way to know in advance what action will be necessary to get you and your family home safe at the end of the day, and precious seconds spent chambering a round may be all it takes to end your day rather than saving it.

View attachment 11038
    Photo: Personal Defense World

What are your thoughts? Do you carry with a chambered round at all times or not, and why? What do you suggest in terms of overall safety? Let us know in the comments below.

2. sja2446

sja2446 New Member

I carry my LCP chambered. The heavy trigger pull is safe enough for me.

3. samson

samson New Member

I carry my LCP in a pocket holster unchambered because the LCP does not have a safety.

4. sharpenit

sharpenit New Member

One in the pipe, all the time.

5. dw2169

dw2169 New Member

I also carry one in pipe ready to just pull the long-pull trigger.

6. oldhunter

oldhunter New Member

I carry all pistols with one in the chamber and gun holstered. You may not have time to rack the pistol or if one of your hands/arms were injured you may be unable to chamber a round. A safety or long trigger pull remove the risk of accidental discharges.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You mean to tell me the LCP didn't go bang as soon as it saw the perp? Come on we all know guns kill. Perfect example of why everyone should be allowed their constitutional rights to protect themselves with a firearm.

8. ndivita

ndivita New Member

This is exactly why I carry a revolver. Ruger LCR .357 mag to be exact. Double action only. Set it and forget it.

9. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

The wife and I tote all of our carry pistols chambered. The wife carries ... revolver .22 mag (double action only no safety), semi auto .380 (double action only _ no safety), and a semi auto 9 mm (single and double action _ ami safety) I carry semi auto 9 mm (single and double action _ ami safety), semi auto .45 (single and double action _ ami safety), revolver .38 sp (single and double action), semi auto 380 (double action only _ no safety) and a revolver .45 long colt (single and double action). oldhunter stated my reasoning for chambered carry ..."You may not have time to rack the pistol or if one of your hands/arms were injured you may be unable to chamber a round. A safety or long trigger pull remove the risk of accidental discharges." Added to this is the fact that even the simplest tasks attempted under stress can become a monumental effort. You may not have time for mistakes. All of the weapons in the safe, rifles and pistols alike are chambered. When you open the safe door you are greeted with 6 signs (printed in bold RED type) in different locations all around the safe saying "All weapons are Loaded, Chambered and on Safety". This leaves no doubt in how to handle the weapons.

10. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

One in the chamber always. A DAO semi auto is just as safe as a DO revolver. One may not have time to waste chambering a round.

11. gene814

gene814 gene814

Carrying one in the chamber is still a tough decision for me. I know it's safe to carry in the chamber with the gun in a holster. But I still only do so sometimes.

12. Bob1943

Bob1943 New Member

All my DA/SA semi-autos have a round in the chamber. As others have stated, the long DA trigger pull is the "Safety".

13. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

One in the chamber - always...

14. adjohns3

adjohns3 adjohns3

I carry my LCP with CT's ALWAYS ready to fire. As many here have stated, never know when an "extra" second to chamber a round may not be available.

15. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

One in the pipe at all times unless it is in the safe.