Sig 365 Killer?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by greg_r, Sep 19, 2018.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

This from another forum. Thought I would post it here for discussion.

Will Ruger make a pistol to compete with the Sig 365? The Security 9 has already been touted as the GLOCK 19 killer. It's almost exactly the size as the GLOCK19 and seems to be doing pretty well for itself.

I'm thinking take the Security 9, bob the length to 6 inches and the height to about 4 1/2 inches. It would be almost exactly the same size as the Sig 365. About 1/4inch off in length and height. They are already the same thickness. And I bet it would hold 12 rounds.

What do you think?

rugertoter likes this.
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

When I first saw it I thought it was a Ruger.
    After reading up on it I had to change my post reply. http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/first-look-sig-sauer-p365/
    It does have an added couple rounds/possible 4 extra compared to other comparable sized semi auto. Hickok said he put 200 or so rounds through his test gun and said it ran flawlessly. That's better than what my LC9s did.
    You want one then by all means go get one. Just give us a review if you do.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I would be all about a Sec 9 compact. The only thing I haven't liked about the Sec 9s I've handled, is having to slingshot it to drop the slide after inserting the mag. If Ruger made a 3.5 inch, short grip version I might overlook the slide release...

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I would be all about a Security 9 sub-compact. It would have to be no more than a 3" barrel. Smaller than my American compact.

I had to slingshot my Security 9 when it was new. It has broken in nicely now and I can release the slide with the catch easily. I just wish it did not have the manual safety.

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I looked at a Security 9 at a gunshow in San Antonio about 3 weeks ago. It reminded me of some of the other plastic 9s. Ran into a guy selling one in the ailes. It was LNIB. I asked if he had not liked it. He said it was good, but could use a better trigger. Tried to get it cheap, bu the guy stayed at 3 bills. Said that was what he gave for it.

Anyway, didn't seem the thing to get that day as I was there to dump 3 platic 9s. I was looking for S&W revolvers and a beater 1911. I had 8 assorted 9s at the time, but I was willing to try the Sec 9. Tried to get it for 2, but the guy would not go downa nicklel. My buddy got an American .45 at a show we had been at 3 eeks before. Fired it and it was nice, Looked at those too.

Maybe I will get a Sec 9 at the next show n 3 weeks. Just don't now. The plastic 9s are getting redundant. Got rid of one LC9 at the show and a Walther PPQ. The Walther was really nice with a great trigger. But again, kinda like the rest. Couldn't give away a like new Gen 3, Taurus PT111 9 mil. Might just give it to my son. Gave him a Teal blue SCCY 9 that I got for a bill off a guy at a show. He said he had too much trouble racking it. I didn't and it worked fine. So does the Taurus.

Got the 1911 I wanted at that show, just a plain, but like new R.I.A. Put a pre WWII Colt slide on it for "looks" and still have the original. Swapped a low end Remmy 770 and 30 buks for it to a couple. Then I found another couple with a S&W Mod 66-4 .357. They were looking for a quality 9. Well, I just happened to have the Walther PPQ. They wanted 450 for the mod 66. I got them to give me the 66 and 2 bills for the Walther.

Stillhaving some cash left, I went back tolook at the EC9. Ddn't make much sense to get it after just selling one of my LC9s. Checked out the American .45 and Sec 9 again, but didn't buy. there will be some at the next show. Plenty of plasti guns around .

6. symetry

symetry New Member

Pancho, Pancho....
    Good to see your still at it my friend,
    I am still using my Pancho tactics at pawn shops, and growing my arsenal.
    Hope you and the Misses are well.

Fido

MagBlackhawk and Pancho_Villa like this.
  7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am seeing many plastic gun prices have really dropped. I see LC9s selling new for around $250 and I paid around $300 for mine first of 2017.
    Many S&W fans that bought guns a few months ago are really p oh d because S&W is now really dropping prices big time on the guns they bought months ago for a lot more money.

I am seeing a whole lot of zero bids on auction sites.

My LGS seems to still be selling a lot of guns though.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I feel you Pancho. I am about the same with the plastic guns. I still have a few, but I have been going back to my roots, except where my preference was blue and walnut now I am stainless.

The Security 9 I do like. It is a bit nose heavy, but balances out nicely with a loaded magazine. I string shots though, and I do believe it is because I am changing grip pressure to compensate for the shift in balance as the magazine empties. It's a problem that has been repeatable lol e with a friend shooting it as well, but it was absent when I got a chance to put it in a machine rest. The trigger BTW is pretty good.

I would never trade my American for it, but I probably would not have bought the American if I bought the Security 9 first. The American is the better pistol though, definately worth the extra coin, but I am seeing the American at some very low prices look lately. FWIW, I paid $289 for my Security 9. My opinion, I dont think I have enough years left to wear out the American, but I do think I will be able to wear out the Security 9. We will see.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  9. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

About the only thing about this I would question is this. Would the downsized Security 9, last as many rounds as the P365? I don't know if the aluminum chassis, on the Ruger, would last as many total rounds as the SIG's steel one.

10. Pancho_Villa

It would seem the steel frame gun would last longer. But like greag said, I don't think I would shoot either one enough to acctully wear one out. Probobly wouldn't live long enough to wear one out if I only had one of either and no other handguns.

Maybe someone that shot one all the time for thousands of rounds could wear one out.

Most of the ones I have get fired for a few hundred rounds and stuck in a safe for long periods.

I have 2 rugers, a kP90 in .45 and KP89 that have been around since the early 90s. They were the only auto pistolds I had for years excpt for a MKI I hac since the mid 70s. They were all shot alot at first, the MKI getting the most rounds through it. Steel and the bigger guns stainles. I actually put more wear on the MKI by taking it apart than by shooting it. The upper part of the gun would almost fall off after the pin was removed at the back. Thightened the lug up and it worked till I wore most of the finish off of it. The other 2 did better and I still have them. The old MkI is still being used by a friend. And I now have a couple of stainless Target MKIIs and a ble MkII standard that sould do as well.

Now if those had been the later pastic P seris autos with the platic lowers or the 22/45 and I had kept and fired them as much as those guns. I might be able to compare longevity. But I dont't have any of those cause I never shot the bigger stainless guns enough to ever wear them out Probably never will. And if I had the old MKI, it would still be working. It is for the new owner.

Anyway, I guess all that is irrelevant if the gun has a lifetime warranty.

rugertoter likes this.
  11. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I'm sure the steel guns hold up better. I was just comparing a RAP compact to the Sec 9 at a LGS after work the other day. There's no comparison, the Sec 9 definitely doesn't feel like a duty - type gun. It probably is what it is, a low cost hi - cap, reasonable quality 9mm to get first timers and those of limited means into the game. I like it, but I'm now leaning away from it and toward a CZ-75 RAMI, or even a SR9c. They just feel like higher quality pieces in my hands.

rugertoter likes this.
  12. Pancho_Villa

The CZ-75 is a good pistol. Browning Hi Power also.

rugertoter likes this.
  13. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

A guy I work with has the RAMI, and one of the larger CZ 75's, and likes them both. He said the RAMI had some "breaking-in" issues with HP ammo, but after a couple hundred rounds or so, it smoothed out.

spikedriver likes this.