Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new sr1911 out today for the first time. It shoots great .! I did have FTE 4 times. The other problem I had was it mangled all of my brass when it ejected the case. Any ideas about what is going on? I tried 2 different brands of ammo as well as different magazines.
Paul ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1441667233.363935.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1441667244.920726.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
You think you have a problem? I know your gun has a problem; but I ain't smart enough to know what it is. Even if I weren't a reloader I would be annoyed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I would contact Ruger- put that warranty to work.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Welcome to our wonderful forum!
Take a minute to jump on over to the introduction section and introduce yourself. We like to know who were welcoming to the family. :)

I second the contacting Ruger.
However, Is that an extractor mark just above the rim?
It looks like maybe the extractor may be playing a part.
May be to tight or is there a bur that is digging into the brass?
Fairly common on 1911's to have extractor issues.
Do you know how to take it all apart? If so you can also do a plink test. Take it apart and hold the barrel upright. Take a round and drop it into the barrel as if normal loading. See if the barrel is smooth and no burs etc. Be sure the rounds are fitting properly.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Extraordinarily vigorous extraction going on there. The dents and splits are coming from the case slamming into the front of the ejection port OR, in a worst case scenario, catching a spur or malformed corner on the barrel hood on the way out. Do not shoot it again until you contact Ruger.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
You are catching the round as it is being ejected. Check out what the length of your round is: COAL. But that is not uncommon and really not a problem if you are reloading. When you resize the round, it will come back out okay as long as it's not too far down the casing. Try using different rounds. Not all rounds will do that. Mag Tech is a good factory round and most of them won't do that. The top photo shows where the extractor is catching the round and if you notice, you can see the extraction marks. I have used many different rounds and some will eject without a problem and some will do what yours is doing. If the COAL is set at 1.250 or less, you shouldn't see too many rounds like that. If you experience more of them from different manufacturers then get a hold of Mike @Ruger, Prescott, Az, explain the problem and he can adjust it so it won't happen very much. However, you will still have SOME that will catch and bend the round as is shown. The rounds you have shown I would not try to reload, especially the top photo. You can see the crack in the head of the casing due to the extractor catching it and hitting the hood as it ejects. One more thing to remember, when that round is fired, that shell casing is really hot and sometimes landing on concrete will also damage the round. If you ever had a hot round go down inside your shirt, you will know it. Hope this may be of some help.

Tommy

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
That brass is getting beat up way too much.

The family has the right idea on this. Ruger needs to know what's going on with this pistol.
Just in case you don't know, Ruger has very good customer service. They will take care of you.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
LeeHive,

Ruger will take good care of you. Make sure you write everything out on the sheet of paper they send you along with a detailed report. Also send the rounds in so they can have a good look of what you are talking about. Also ask them to test fire the pistol for you after they have fixed your problem. It took about 5 days for me to get mine fixed. Mike is the technician who did mine and he does an excellent job. He also test fired mine and sent me back the target. My first Commander had basically the same problem. Before you send it in, see if you can push down on the barrel with your thumb and check for any looseness. They ended up replacing my barrel and bushing as mine was a "hair" loose. I suspect the extractor is jerking the round out a little faster and it catches the hood of the frame. They will send you back a report of the repairs/parts that were replaced. Don't worry as they are very conscious about their product and will do everything to make sure it is correct. Most likely they will use Corbon ammo for their test firing which I have never used myself. I think with a little adjustment you will be fine!!!!

Tommy

·
Registered
907 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your repair report. Sucks that happened on your first Ruger. But, they're good guys. They'll take care of you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looked at the round in the envelope where Ruger test fired it at factory. It has same deformity as ones I shot. Lol

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Looked at the round in the envelope where Ruger test fired it at factory. It has same deformity as ones I shot. Lol
leehive,

Call Ruger 1-928-541-8892 and ask which technician worked on your pistol and ask to speak to him. Explain once more why you sent your pistol in and ask him what he done to correct the situation. The bent round you received could have been the round he tried before he fixed the pistol and the 2nd round was after he fixed the pistol. Ask him how many rounds he fired, type of ammo and how the correction was done. If it continues and you are NOT satisfied with his answers or the pistol is not properly fixed, then ask for the plant supervisor. I guarantee that you will get the results that you require and need. I live 2 hours away from Prescott, Az. and have not had any problems with any pistol I have sent in. I sent in my LW Commander because the rounds were flying back into my face and I could feel some wiggle in the barrel and bushing. You should have gotten a repair order upon the return of you pistol and showing what was repaired/replaced and WHO the technician was. They have to sign the order once the pistol is fixed and the name should be on the work order. Do NOT let this get you down! Ruger builds a quality pistol and they strive for customer satisfaction.
BTW-when I complained about my SR1911 having a loose barrel and bushing, I had fired approx. 100 rounds through it and I talked to the technician who worked on it and they replaced the barrel and bushing
N/C. Please call them. I gave you the phone number and who I talked to on another thread about this. I forgot to add that my LW Commander was also bending rounds such as yours so I understand your problem. I still get some bent rounds but not nearly as many as I used to.

Tommy

·
Registered
147 Posts
leehive,

Call Ruger 1-928-541-8892 and ask which technician worked on your pistol and ask to speak to him. Explain once more why you sent your pistol in and ask him what he done to correct the situation. The bent round you received could have been the round he tried before he fixed the pistol and the 2nd round was after he fixed the pistol. Ask him how many rounds he fired, type of ammo and how the correction was done. If it continues and you are NOT satisfied with his answers or the pistol is not properly fixed, then ask for the plant supervisor. I guarantee that you will get the results that you require and need. I live 2 hours away from Prescott, Az. and have not had any problems with any pistol I have sent in. I sent in my LW Commander because the rounds were flying back into my face and I could feel some wiggle in the barrel and bushing. You should have gotten a repair order upon the return of you pistol and showing what was repaired/replaced and WHO the technician was. They have to sign the order once the pistol is fixed and the name should be on the work order. Do NOT let this get you down! Ruger builds a quality pistol and they strive for customer satisfaction.
BTW-when I complained about my SR1911 having a loose barrel and bushing, I had fired approx. 100 rounds through it and I talked to the technician who worked on it and they replaced the barrel and bushing
N/C. Please call them. I gave you the phone number and who I talked to on another thread about this. I forgot to add that my LW Commander was also bending rounds such as yours so I understand your problem. I still get some bent rounds but not nearly as many as I used to.

Tommy
leehive is talking about the fired shell casing that comes with the new pistol.

And Tommy, I'm thinking you're thinking he's talking about a fired shell coming back with the repaired pistol.

I don't believe the pistol has been sent back yet looking at the dates of posts.

Just observing and hope I'm not the confused one.;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are correct! It was one that came with new pistol. I sent it back with gun as well as rounds I shot!

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
You are correct! It was one that came with new pistol. I sent it back with gun as well as rounds I shot!

leehive,

I apologize for thinking you had received your pistol back already. I was under the assumption that you had received it. And you know what they say about assuming things. As I stated, if you still have problems with the pistol after being returned, let me know as I have a contact up there in Prescott and I am sure we can get it resolved!

Tommy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts