Short Barrel Ammo in 3 Inch Barrel?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Willieboy, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Willieboy

Willieboy New Member

God willing, my 3 inch GP100 will arrive Monday. I was wondering what you guys thought of shooting Speer's Gold Dot .38 +P, 135 grain round in a three inch barrel. This ammunition is intended for short barrel revolvers. Speer told me their test barrel was 2 inches and 4 inch barrels were considered standard.

How would this ammo function in a three inch barrel? Any damage to gun?

Thanks in advance.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Why don't you ask Speer that question? IMO there would be no concern for damage to the gun or Speer would warn of that possibility on the label of this ammo.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I think you will be GTG ( Good To Go ) with that ammo Willieboy....!!

Always run some through your gun to see where it hits for you...then buy more for SD.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I don't see how any 38 Spl ammo could harm any .357 Mag revolver. (Your GP100 is a .357, right)?
    Only thing is I've never been able to get quite as good accuracy with 38's in my .357's as I get with real .357 ammo.
    At self defense distances a little less accuracy (from a 38) should not be a concern.

Also, because the .38 case is shorter than the .357 case, 38 ammo leaves "ringing" in the chambers of a .357.
    Most people could care less about that as it does not hurt anything. Me, I'm a clean freak when it comes to my guns so I would have to clean it all out.

Bottom line, that GP100 is built like a tank. Fire at will. :D

Carl Crosby likes this.
  5. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

If'n it'll shoot in a 2" and a 4" barrel, it will do just fine in a 3". Congratulations on getting a revolver with my favorite barrel length! A Speer tech. told me I should expect "about 920 fps" from my 4" barrel, and if we figure ~ 25 fps loss per inch of barrel, you should see somewhere in the neighborhood of ~900 fps. Which is a very nice neighborhood! :)