Shooting low

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by buster40c, Jan 21, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have an GP100 Match Champion 357 with fixed sights. For some reason I steadily shoot low with this gun and it seems more with this gun than any other of my guns.
    I was wondering have any of you that have this gun have a tendency to shoot low also? Are you having to raise your front sight to get in the ten ring? I guess I need bench rest this gun to see if it is just my actions causing it.
    I wonder is it possible to change the rear sight to an adjustable sight? I know the model with adjustable rear sight the mounting is totally different than the fixed sight.

2. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Hey Buster,

I had an old beater that I picked up at a pawn shop that always shot low.

But, I did not want to sink any money into sights.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it, just didn't want to put money into it.

I just filed down the front sight until I got the proper elevation, then put some paint on what was left.

Works great now, cost $0

Doc

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Buster, what ammo are you shooting? I'm pretty sure you know that muzzle flip affects POI; so does bullet velocity. The slower bullet stays in the barrel longer, so - if muzzle flip were a constant - the POI would move up. Muzzle flip is related to recoil though, so if the slower bullet is a result of lighter charge, the effect is lessened.

From there the plot thickens. A lighter, slower bullet moves the POI down.

:D

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. buster40c

The ammo is 38spl wad cutter reloads. I first shot 50 made by x maker then I was using ammo reloaded by another maker. I did notice the latter seemed like hotter loads. Three guns all with 4" barrels and only one shooting low with same ammo. The recoil isn't squat with this ammo.
    I was going to use .357 magnums today but it was really windy and the pasture behind my target had a bunch of cattle roaming around.
    Time I have.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Aha! My GP110MC shoots 38 Spl 158gr much lower than .357 Mag 158gr. The rear sight is adjustable, but I have left it at the appropriate .357 setting. After all, I do have a Smith 10-8 for 38 Spl. Shoot .357 in you GP100, Buster; it's what God intended.

:cool:

6. buster40c

Okay I will try that. HMMM that makes me wonder if the S&W might shoot high with 357. My MC doesn't have the adjustable rear sight which I would like to change.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

If the dovetail is the same, you can. Might have to change the front sight too.

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I would bet that your MC sights were factory set for 158 gr .357 mag.

Jim

9. buster40c

The MC adjustable sights don't look like they dovetail mount. I believe they screw in on back of frame don't they?

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Argh - you made me get my GP100MC out of the safe - and handle it. It's the 22nd of January, temp in the teens, snow on the ground. Now the strain will build for multiple months until spring.:eek:

Yeah, the rear sight is pinned in place, in a channel. The screw you see is the elevation adjustment.

I think there is no way out, Buster; you have to get another'n, with the adjustable rear sight (the fiber-optic front sight is pretty neat too). You can use the present gun to tune .357 loads until it shoots right on. Then you can decide whether to reserve that load for the 'old' gun, or use it in both. I suggest marking the primers with a red pen, and reserving those loads for the old gun.

[Somehow, I must get satisfaction for the strain and mental anguish you have caused me by 'getting it out early'.]

:acool2:

11. buster40c

Oh quit being a baby and put some winter clothes and gloves on and go shoot the dang thing. LOL It's 50 degrees here and the pups outing was not enjoyed by them at all. Two got over the fence and to the back door showing me they wanted in.
    I just read on another Ruger forum that there are two different front sights for the MC. One is for 38 spl and the other is for 357. I need call Ruger about this.
    I called Ruger service and they have not heard of a different front sight for 38 special and the darn Ruger store is closed today for some reason. I guess I will try calling the store again on Monday.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Aha! Got an email this morning with the solution to your problem!

WWW.GALLERYOFGUNS.COM
    6100 WILKINSON DRIVE - PRESCOTT, ARIZONA - 928-776-8055

has a weekend special on the GP100MC w/adjustable sight!

This outfit shares the transaction with dealers near you, so you don't have to go to Arizona (and be browbeaten by Tommy's crowd).

This is a startling coincidence - if that's what it is. I am wondering if you have a special relationship with The Really Big Kahuna.

[Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with GOG or Davidson's, other than as a repeat customer.]

13. buster40c

I don't believe in coincidences.
    Thanks I will check it out but I have no plans on selling my gun losing money on it to buy another one. LOL No I have no plans on keeping this one and buying another either.
    I think when you or I get an email for adjustable sights or a 38 spl front sight then that will be a link to the kahuna for sure.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  14. buster40c

it was 78 degrees yesterday so I got the MC out and shot about 24 rounds of 357. I still shot way low so it isn't an ammo problem. I am dropping the muzzle which I don't see that I am doing or the sights are just set to low. I need to bench rest it to really check it. I read where Novak has an adjustable sight that might fit it. I need call them about it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  15. buster40c

I did a bench rest with 38 spl wc and the gun shoots low. I checked at gun smith about changing the rear sight and I would come out better IMO to sell the gun and buy another MC with adjustable sights.
    I put the gun on Armslist today for $600. That's about $150 less than best price on a new gun. I get it sold I am not real sure what I might replace it with.

16. 5thShock

5thShock New Member

Did you shoot any full power loads? The gun is called Match Champion but its been awhile since Match meant low power wadcutters.

17. buster40c

I shot 357 magnums and it still shoots low. I also bet a large amount of 357 gun owners use 38 special for target practice.

18. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have no idea what percentage of .357 gun owners shoot .38 Special for target practice and then load up with .357 for 'business', but I think 'them that do' are screwing up.

19. buster40c

My carry 357 LCR does get practice shooting 357 as well. I sure as heck hope I never have to use it defensively because I figure I might be very hard of hearing for quite awhile. I am thinking of going 38+P for that reason. Also it has been shown a 357 will often go straight through a person endangering anyone else around.
    I just saw a cop show about real life shootings and a man died from a .380. The bullet went into his top shoulder area down through his lungs then his heart and then stopped in his intestines. The man walked some distance before falling dead. I would say that is pretty impressive for a 380 that so many think is just so inferior for a defensive round.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  20. buster40c

I read an article by Massad Ayoob about shooting hand gun and it talks a great deal about focusing on the front sight as well as the hold and trigger finger working together. I have a feeling as I am pulling the trigger my focus on the front sight might be focusing more on the target eye. Perhaps this is causing me to drop the muzzle as I pull the trigger causing the low shots. I notice when I practice dry firing my front sight stays on target but maybe that isn't the case when doing live target shooting. I do believe I am tightening my fingers at the same time pulling the trigger causing me all sorts of problems.
    When it warms up I am going to have to check this out. This 50 degrees and wind blowing heavy is not a fun time to be outside. I think I need get the MKII out for some practice on this. .06 a round is much less expensive practice.
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/how-to-shoot-a-handgun-accurately/