Shooting Lead...

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by JimA, Mar 2, 2013.

1. JimA

JimA Member

I will start by saying that I have been through several shortages before and have plenty of components stocked up to outlast the current lack of reloading stuff in our near future.

Four years ago when the shtf for components I had ample primers, cases and powder, but as now, the bullet supply was dismal. I turned to cast lead as an alternative to shooting less and since then I have used more of it because I enjoy the cost advantage.

I started with my .45 Colts because that seemed like a good choice, but have moved on to .45 auto and even 9mm.

I shoot several time a week at a local range and find that for fun, paper punchin' lead is great. My SR1911 eats 200 grain LSWC like candy and is very accurate with them. I also hunt deer with my Blackhawks in .45 Colt and lead works fine for that too.

How many others use cast lead in their guns? Do any of you cast your own?

2. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Lead is one of my favorites to shoot from my hand cannons, 357,44,454. Only recently have i started shooting them from my semi autos but i found that shooting 1 fmj every 10 rounds i get a lot less lead fouling. So much easier to clean after a long day at the range.

3. Techpcpro

Techpcpro New Member

My club has a back stop rated for lead and only one back stop for FMJ. So I have been using lead for .38, .357 and 9mm. I even have a Glock that I feed 9mm to. I use a Wolf barrel for the Glock.

4. Squirlnutz

Squirlnutz In the army now..

This thread is great information as we are beginning to cast rifle bullets. Thank you to all that post

5. Techpcpro

Techpcpro New Member

I am personally looking into starting to cast. So we would need a melting pot, a pouring spoon and the bullet mold cavities.

This is the part I am not sure about. Is this needed, a Lee C press bullet luber or a method to lube the bullets? Do we need to lube the bullets or is this a step that can be skipped?

6. Reloader54

Reloader54 Reloader54

I reload all of my own center fire ammo. I use cast lead bullets that I get from Dillion Persion. I reload for .357 mag, .40 S&W, .45Long Colt, and I'm starting to do .45acp. I've had no real problem with lead fowling in any of my firearms and also no problem with cleaning. If you're looking for reloading supplies and info about reloading and what you might need. Try Midway USA. I've had questions and I've gone to their web site to look up the info and if I've still had questions I've called them and talked to someone there and they've been very helpful in knowing what I might need and able to make suggestions to me. I've then was also able to order what I needed while I was on the phone with them. I hopes this helps.

7. Squirlnutz

I have subscribed to midways YouTube channel. Larry Potterfeild has made a lot of great videos from casting bullets to bedding and floating barrels. I also received an inspiring email from them about 2nd amendment protection as I think some of you have also.
    There is a plethora of information to be had from midway.
    And, thanks agin to all that post information about cast bullets with experience on this topic

8. jerrysriggs

jerrysriggs New Member

I have not cast my own, but have used cast bullets for a long time. I prefer the hard cast bullets from several different suppliers, as they give the best results with less fowling, especially with the heavier, faster loads. 357mag, 44mag, 45-70. My 1911 45acp really likes a 200gr swc.

9. JimA

JimA Member

If you are shooting lead bullets some type of bullet lube is required. You can tumble lube them with a liquid alox/xlox, pan lube them or run them through a lubrisizer. They may or may not need to be sized to shoot in your guns, but will need to be lubed. If sizing is needed the Lee bullet lube and sizeing dies along with liquid alox is the cheapest way to go. There are many different lubes for different applications available, and quite a few sizers. Some have heaters to allow the use of stick lubes.
    Lots of good information at the "cast boolits" website pertaining to shooting lead.

10. GerryM

GerryM New Member

I have used lead over the years, used them in my Ruger Vaquero's both .38 and 45 LC and my Ruger Blackhawk.

I now shoot lead in two different 45 ACP's I have.

The last batch of lead bullets came from Falcon Bullets and shoot really nice.

11. Squirlnutz

Any one cast bullets for your rifle? Say .30-06 and 7 mm rem mag? We have finally got the casting right, and now are looking for info on shooting them full speed through a rifle. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363826871.912296.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363826950.766433.jpg

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Sq nutz,
    Have you shot any of those bullets?

I am interested in the results.
    Where did those come from?

Let us know how they work out.

What is the alloy ? Brinnel?

Jim

13. Squirlnutz

Have not shot any yet. The old man used a lee .309 mold and .308 die to size. He used wheel weights and some additive ( I'm not sure the name). The concern is fouling the barrel with lead at speeds upward of 2,000 fps. We have read about paper patching but really nothing definitive.
    I thing I'm going to just try some IMR 4350 at a medium load and see what happens. These go through a Remington 700 ADL that's had maybe 50 rounds through it.

14. Squirlnutz

The weather has been Terrible so I spent some time improving the cast bullets. Just thought I would share and see what your opinions are. This will need some refinement but overall I'm pleased with the results.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364188377.514175.jpg

15. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

All I use are my own cast bullets. I've been casting since I'm 12 years old (55 now)

16. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

I just started casting about a year ago for almost all my center-fire weapons; it is a lot easier than I thought it would be.
    I cast for my 30-06s, 30-30, AKM 7.62x39, 45auto, .44 cap&ball, 50cal muzzleloader, and 357Mag/38spl; I'll probably get a 9mm mold next.

17. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

I cast my own bullets for about 10 years. Mostly for my hand guns. I used to have free lead sources so it was real cheap.

Now it's cheaper/easier to by commercially cast bullets. I still mostly load for my hand guns and about 95% of it is cast bullets.:)

18. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I own bullet moulds and reloading dies for every centerfire weapon I own, and a few calibers I don't own but might some day.
    Moulds make you the master of your own bullet supply, not dependent on what a dealer stocks or what supply and demand dictates. And you can size them to fit your requirements.

Been casting and reloading since 1967, back then if you wanted a cast bullet you had to pour them your self.
    If I could figure a way to reload 22 rimfire I would be all set.
    Gary

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  19. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have shot a lot of cast bullets over the years and have a bullet mold and about 80lbs. of lead ingots HOWEVER I promised to give it all to my little brother. I have a mold for .45 and .38 however it is just a 1 bullet at a time mold. I reload all of my rounds with a Dillon Square D for my 9mm and an old Herters single stage for my SR1911. I also have a couple of lubrisizers, an extra Lee Champion single stage loader and a ss***pot load of other stuff I won't be using. I need to do some house cleaning and get rid of stuff I have had for years, including a bunch of brass and some old bullets. Don't laugh but I still get a kick out of my old Herters reloader! It's like me-slow yet steady and gets the job done.
    Tommy