Shooting lead through your Alaskan?

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by icallshotgun88, May 31, 2015.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

New to the forum.
    I'm sure there's plenty of info on here about pros and cons of shooting lead, but somewhere I heard that it really depends on the firearm, it's type of rifling, etc.

I'm interested in learning more about shooting lead out of a Ruger Alaskan (or similar firearms).

It seems that in the world of semi-auto pistols, shooting lead is almost unheard of and I've only heard negative things about it.

I'm brand new to revolvers and brand new to Ruger, but it seems normal for owners of the Alaskan to carry and shoot hard cast lead bullets from manufacturers such as Buffalo Bore, HSM, etc.

What are the pros and cons of using lead ammo through this firearm?

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I shoot lead cast bullets in all my Revolvers (except the 460 mag) with no problems.

All hand loads ,using Missouri Bullet Co bullets.

Jim

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The only hard cast lead bullets I have used in my 44 Mag have gas checks on the base of the bullet. I hand load them at top velocity and get very little leading in the barrel. Not sure if the brands you mentioned have gas checks, or if it even matters.

In the 357 Mag I use Hunters Supply brand hard cast without a gas check. These will lead the barrel a little. I use them for mild plinking loads.

I've read that in order to avoid barrel leading you need to remove all jacket fouling before shooting lead bullets. I can't prove that because I mostly shoot jacketed bullets and have never been able to get all of the jacket fouling out.

Pros, massive penetration.
    Cons, may need to spend a little time cleaning.

A good place for info about cast lead bullets: www.castbulletassoc.org
    They deal mostly with casting your own but you should be able to find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

4. brushunter

brushunter New Member

I shoot lead in everything , from my 44mags to 45 C and .357s. I aslo shoot 200 gr Oregon trail SWC through my 1911s. And yes ya gotta keep them clean. I use Hoppes mixed with Kroil ( 50/50 ), works very well. I also use a Lewis Lead remover for the stubborn stuff. My loads are not max loads. I've grown beyond that. The 45C stuff uses Oregon Trails 255 gr SWC over enough Unique to give me 1000 FPS. Thats a Ruger only load , though not max. Generally I need to " delead " after about 100 to 150 rounds. The 45 is the worst of all my guns ....so probably 200 to 250 tween deleadings. Try them , good luck , and have fun

regads , brushunter

reread your post ...guess I didn't answer your question .. I have a 4" Redhawk in .44, I load it with Oregon Trails 240 gr SWC over two different powders. Can't recall , one is unique and I'm thinking 2400 .. but both are loaded to 1100 FPS. Excellant results. Very accurate , minimal leading . And a 240 grain slug , .44 mag, at 1100 to 1200 fps ....not much in the lower 48 that it won't take out.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  5. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I shoot hand loaded lead at target loads in .357 mag, 45
    ACP, and 9mm. Never an issue with leading. Clean the bore thoroughly after every session with a lead remover solvent and you'll be good to go.:D

I own mostly Rugers and all have no issues. Glocks have different type riflling and are not made to shoot lead. That may be where the concerns come from you've heard about.

Shoot, clean, and enjoy.:)

6. guncheese

guncheese New Member

i only load lead
    for glocks and revolvers and 1911s and well everything!
    and if i had a Alaskan
    i would be loading up a bunch of .44 spl or .44 spl loads in mag cases
    and shoot the tar out of that beauty
    low recoil and way cheaper

but make sure your cylinder throat size is big enough to keep from messing up your bullets as they pass into the barrel throat

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015