Shooting benches and porch steps

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VThillman, Jul 27, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It cleared off eventually this morning, but I won't go to the range, I've been putting off building new porch steps too long already.

Wanted to give you folks a sort-of look at the new shooting benches at the range. My steps are not going to be nearly as well made.

[​IMG]

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

OK. The new steps are in place. Maybe the best porch steps of my career - even used professional hardware to hitch the treads to the risers.

Due to circumstances beyond my control - the porch is warped at the step interface - the marriage is not esthetically awesome. So no pictures.

:cool:

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I love them ambidextrous shooting benchs,

I have one very similar , but only one.

Do I need 2...hmmmm, nayh, one is fine.

But now for a range of many shooters, thats great .

Jim

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have since added wheels, so I can move it around for different distances, and mowing..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    post images

Jim

5. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

After a few discussions with the wife, I don't think I am going the berm route, for my future shooting area. It's very pristine, and we don't really want a pile of lead, and we really don't want to sift it out of the pile. I've been looking at the Acreage Bullet Catch. It's a bit pricey, and the steel plate only lasts about 5000-7000 rds. before needed replacement. It also has a thick rubber damper, to keep the plate noise down. It has wheels available, but I don't think they'll do me much good in sand. It can be used in a garage/outbuilding, it's pretty good sized, you just CAN'T miss........................ Anybody use a portable range on their property?????????????????????????????If so, what, and how much denaro, if you don't mind me asking.

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have a sand filled, about 1.5 yards sand, bullet trap. The sand is about 1-2' deep at target setting. It is backed by 4x6 oak timbers. I have yet to have any caliber get through it. It isn't hard to pick out the lead periodically. The whole set up could easily be almost hidden just by planting around it. LOL I have some kind of plant growing out of the sand now that has big red flowers.
    I got the sand at local dirt yard real cheap, less than $30. Point is you don't have to build a big berm for a back stop bullet trap.
    It doesn't take very deep sand to stop even high powered rifle rounds.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/redire...ruth.com/the-box-o-truth-7-the-sands-o-truth/
    Here is pic of my trap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

At our 100yd Range here we use old grain bins. We cut a side out leaving about 1 inch around the edges and insert RxR ties in place of the side we removed. Screw the RxR ties to the piece left around the edge. Fill with cheep sand and shoot!
    Bins are usually thrown away at the seed mills when they get holes or bent. Can usually pick them up cheep or free.
    Because the bins have fork lift sections on the bottom you can slide a chain threw and drag around where needed.
    When we shoot threw the ties we tip the box and replace the RxR ties. Takes a lot of rounds though and if your like us you end up putting a few pieces of ply wood over the ties on the front to hold the sand in before you actually replace the ties. Lol!
    Next time I make it to that side of the property I'll take pics.
    Our most used range is a berm now. We have a shooting "problem" and need rehab. Lol!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015