Senator McCain Has Brain Cancer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by allenr, Jul 20, 2017.

1. allenr

allenr Member

Just read the news that McCain has brain cancer. Sad news.

I do not admire McCain as a politician. I do admire him as a career military professional. He is a man who survived the terrible fight deck tragedy when a a loose bomb set off an aircraft fueling disaster that killed many. He is the pilot who flew combat missions during which if you were shot down you were a force of one. He is the POW with a father who was a Navy Admiral and when offered release from a NV pow camp because of his father's stature refused it. He stuck it out and underwent severe beatings that ruined his rotator cuff in his left arm. His broken leg was never treated properly so he went through seven yeas of captivity as a near cripple. He has always spoken truth to power, and I admire that even when disagreeing with his opinion.

Today's world has little room for great men as factional powers compete. McCain is not nor will ever be a great man. However, for me he will always be a great warrior. For me that tops being a politician.

God bless him in his fight.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Rather than repeat what was just said, I'l just agree with it.

I wish John McCain the best in this struggle.

Prayers for you and your family .

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Thanks for that post, Allen. No man is a monolith in his heart.

"He has always spoken truth to power". It would be hard to deserve a more honorable epitaph than that one.

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

He will always be considered a war hero and a flip flipper as a politician. Let's just remember him as a war hero.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Dr. Robert Spetzler who is McCain's chief surgeon is a superior brain surgeon and has a magnificent team. I had the pleasure of meeting him personally many times along with his team. My wife had 2 brain anyorisms (sp) and had to have 2 brain surgeries to have them removed. He would come and talk to me, very down to earth, man to man and explain our options and what he intended to do. She still had a 3rd one left but it is so deep in the brain that they won't try to extract it. He has a team of 6 young doctors he is training and supervises and participates in all the brain surgeries. A member of his team would come by twice and sometimes 3 times per day just to check on my wife and ask any family member if we had any questions. If McCain pulls through this, it will be through prayer and Dr. Spetzler and his team. McCain is very fortunate to have him as a surgeon. I am not a McCain fan although I do wish his family the very best and I put him in my prayers.

Tommy

6. WizardMaster

WizardMaster SHARPSHOOTER

It is hard to come up with the right words on a situation like this when you have mixed feelings. Let me just say that I have disagreed with John on many a topic and I get very disgruntled with his interference in politics and the process, but it is sad to see ANYONE in the position he is in now. Brain cancer of all things has got to be the worst diagnosis anyone could imagine!! I say it falls into "Damned if you do, and damned if you don't"! John has fought off many an illness, and this one is going to be a fight for his life. But, John will also fight President Donald Trump as long as he is breathing ( as he has said ) . Like I said before, it is sad to know what we know and to know that anyone is going through this and I will wish him the best possible outcome and good health for his future. I believe he needs to retire, relax, and just concentrate on getting well and enjoying life more if that is even possible now. God be with him.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am with that. Retire and get well.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

9. buster40c

Isn't brain cancer same thing Kennedy died from?

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Brain cancer is several things, several different cancers. Which Kennedy?

11. buster40c

Senator Ted Kennedy. JFK died of a bullet to his head.