Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, lifelong Ruger user here but a nube to 10/22s. Bought a plain carbine cheap at a big box about a year ago and started replacing things with my leftover "fun money" each month, exploiting sales. Got it together about 2 weeks ago and it's now probably the most fun rifle I've ever owned save maybe for my favorite muzzleloader. Might still replace the bolt, which would then leave the receiver as the sole remaining original part.

Which leaves me now with a box full of parts that just needs a receiver to become a complete rifle. I'd like to find a beater receiver, DuraCoat it, add TS100 sights and a pair of swivel studs, and take it to an Appleseed weekend. Any ideas on where to find beat up receivers?

·
Registered
436 Posts
For what a receiver will cost, add in shipping and transfer fees you might as well, but a complete gun and sell off the unused parts. Can often do that and once the parts are sold, have little to nothing in the receiver itself.

·
Join the NRA
22 Posts
For what a receiver will cost, add in shipping and transfer fees you might as well, but a complete gun and sell off the unused parts. Can often do that and once the parts are sold, have little to nothing in the receiver itself.
hmmm. Most people buy a complete gun and fill it with good parts.

I suggest that he buy a good receiver and put his good parts on it and sell the (old stock) complete gun.

My next build for the 10/22 will start with a Kidd receiver and contain NO RUGER PARTS. . . except for the mags. those are good!

·
Registered
436 Posts
hmmm. Most people buy a complete gun and fill it with good parts.

I suggest that he buy a good receiver and put his good parts on it and sell the (old stock) complete gun.

My next build for the 10/22 will start with a Kidd receiver and contain NO RUGER PARTS. . . except for the mags. those are good!
Unless you're going to to with the same, top notch, creme de la creme components for the rest of the gun (optics and ammo included) take the time to properly assemble and bed it, take the time to experiment with diff barrel pressure points, you'll gain nothing at all with the Kidd receiver. Have found verrry few that used one and couldn't have gotten the same results using the factory receiver.
So unless those "good parts" in the other receiver are at that top level, it's no gain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts