Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to pistols. Just got the security 9. I eventually want to get my ccw permit. I don't want appendix carry. Hesitant about back carry.
What's a good holster that balances not losing the gun (falling out- no back flips for me) and draw?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hard to pick a holster for somebody. Everybody likes different. I prefer a pancake style outside the waist band holster for everyday carry. The same style holster but designed for tuckable inside the waistband carry when situations dictate. I usually buy one from MTR Custom Leather that can convert from IWB to OWB. Plus a couple more, one dedicated to OWB carry, and a second for dedicated IWB. All my holsters sport a sweat shield. None use a thumb strap, but instead are fitted to the individual pistol or revolver. A good fitted holster will give good retention, it will not come out unless you pull it out. Finally my holsters have a reinforced mouth.

Mattress, shoes, holster and belt. Buy the best you can afford. Skimp elsewhere if you must. The belt, BTW, is an important part of the holster, get a good reinforced carry belt with a stiffener. It will make all the difference in the world to you.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I agree with greg_r, it is difficult to help others select a holster as we all have different styles and preferences.

I have several different leather holsters which I find comfortable and secure but when I purchased my SR9e, I decided to go with an IWB Kydex holster. I checked out different styles at the nearby gun stores and local gun shows and after many hours of online research, I decided to go with a Vedder LightTuck and I couldn't be more pleased.
Vedder #03.JPG

Good luck in your search for a holster.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I carry mine in a leather OWB rig by Bianchi. Mine is for the Glock 19/23, but it fits just about any Glock, and my Security 9 just fine.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am new to pistols. Just got the security 9. I eventually want to get my ccw permit. I don't want appendix carry. Hesitant about back carry.
What's a good holster that balances not losing the gun (falling out- no back flips for me) and draw?
I want to comment about your comments on mode of carry too. In my opinion, I can sum it up in one word. Smart.

Appendix carry is uncomfortable for those of us with a belly, it tends to dig into the belly and push the muzxle into the groin. Also larger carries, like the Security 9, are not comfortable for most anyone. You are putting an object that dosen't bend on a part of your body that does bend. And on a personal note, I just don't want anything that bites pointing anywhere close to my jewels. A lot of folks prefer the mode though.

On small of back carry, it's actually pretty comfortable. It does have one serious drawback. Most everyone will sweep themselves when drawing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hard to pick a holster for somebody. Everybody likes different. I prefer a pancake style outside the waist band holster for everyday carry. The same style holster but designed for tuckable inside the waistband carry when situations dictate. I usually buy one from MTR Custom Leather that can convert from IWB to OWB. Plus a couple more, one dedicated to OWB carry, and a second for dedicated IWB. All my holsters sport a sweat shield. None use a thumb strap, but instead are fitted to the individual pistol or revolver. A good fitted holster will give good retention, it will not come out unless you pull it out. Finally my holsters have a reinforced mouth.

Mattress, shoes, holster and belt. Buy the best you can afford. Skimp elsewhere if you must. The belt, BTW, is an important part of the holster, get a good reinforced carry belt with a stiffener. It will make all the difference in the world to you.
Mattress, shoes, holster and belt. Buy the best you can afford. I couldn't agree more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts