Security 9 and......

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by greg_r, Jan 11, 2019.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

From my understanding, Ruger has the names Security 380, Security 40, and Security 45 trademarked as well. I am figuring that Ruger has plans on the back burner for the Security 9 in compact and subcompact versions along with different chamberings.

I for one would love to see a Security 380 subcompact. Double stack with a 10 round capacity. Along with a full size Security 45.

How about a full size Security 10. 10mm seems to be making a little bit of a comeback.

I can see this happening along with conversion kits and complete PC Carbines in the same chamberings.

2. BlackRobeRegiment

BlackRobeRegiment New Member

I like my security 9. I didn’t want a large gun nor a tiny subcompact for my first ccw. This one is just fine for me. I am having lots of fun at the range breaking it in.

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Hey greg, I would like to see one in .45. Thinking about a RAP in .45 right now.

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I'm not so sure about the S9. I lived the idea when it came out, as I'm not such a fan of striker guns. But after I held one, I like the SR series better. Maybe a 3 inch barrel subcompact could change my mind, but the SR seems like a better made gun to me...

5. quirky

quirky Active Member

Hey Spike there're history, Ruger pulled them off their web site last week. The meat and potatoes on the cheap will be the Security series and perhaps the step up will be the American, but I can actually see Ruger even dumping the American series.

Despite the Securities cheap build it has had no major issues like the American and once gun people get a bad feeling about a gun it's hard to overcome that imagine.
    I personally no longer trust the American and the Security has a horrible trigger because it's a hammer fired gun, but hidden.

The best kept secret is the EC9s for anywhere from $189-$239 depending on where you buy it.
    It's got a trigger so good reviewers are ashamed to put it up against the Walther PPQ, the Canick or the HK VP9 because they view the gun as a throwaway with it's milled in sights, of which that's another selling point for me as I don't use sights.

Ashamed because some might think you need to spend a ton of money to get a good trigger.
    And the EC9s is not just a good trigger it's an exceptional trigger and when you consider what you pay for the gun it's outstanding.

Joenal likes this.
  6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I carry an LC9s so I'm quite familiar with the trigger, and yes it's good. I don't find the S9 trigger that objectionable, because it's partially cocked. Actually I like it as well as the LC because I find striker triggers to be mushy, no matter which gun it is. I was also raised on revolvers, so I'm good with hammer triggers...
    I do agree that the EC is a great value. It's a game changer for bringing solid quality to an entry level gun.

7. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Sounds good, but I think they would have to go with an all steel sub-chassis on the heavier calibers...I don't know how the aluminum would hold up under the stress of a .40, and especially the 10mm.

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Honestly I don’t think a 10mm would fit in the grip without some design changes. The 40 S&W would though. There are plenty of aluminum framed 40’s out there. Two things, I do not know if the 40 S&W is viable anymore as it’s losing ground pretty fast it seems, and the cartridge does have a reputation of beating up guns.

But 45acp I think is doable. And a compact model in 380 with an easy racking slide just might be the ticket for those with poor hand strength.

rugertoter likes this.
  9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I like the Security trigger. Ruger says it best in their description. “The Secure Action used in the LCP® II and Security-9® is derived from the reliable and proven hammer-fired LCP® fire control system. The Secure Action combines the smooth trigger pull of the LCP® with the short, crisp feel and positive reset of a single action.”

I find striker triggers a bit mushy as well, because of the takeup. A problem Ruger seems to have fixed with the American Pistols. The LC9s Pro had a good trigger though. Lots of takeup but a crisp break. My biggest problem with the EC9s is the magazine disconnect. A supposedly safety feature that require a dangerous thing. Inserting an (hopefully) empty magazine to pull the trigger. At least Ruger has the sense to include a bright orange inert New Jersey compliant magazine with each EC9s. I guess they don’t want you to pull the trigger with a real magazine inserted. I do wish I had bought the Pro version when it was available.

The wife asked me a while back Which one I likes best, the American or the Security 9. My answer was the American. It’s just a much better built firearm. But I like the Security 9 just fine, it is good enough. I have mine watching over me right now!

10. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I would be surprised if they did a .380 version of this gun...I think it would step on their LCP market.

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Maybe the LC380 market, but not the LCP market.

A “Security 380" or a "Security 380 Compact" would be able to take lighter springs and make an easier racking handgun for those who have weak grips for various reasons. Plus being a full size handgun as well instead of a pocket pistol.

If you get a chance, try racking the slide on a Bersa BP380CC, a Walther PK380, or the new SCCT CPX3 that just released, you will see what I mean.

12. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I have yet to even see the SCCY CPX3, anywhere.