Screwed up reloading my .45 cal

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Tommycourt, May 17, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Today I happen to catch a mistake I made reloading .45 caliber. I have wooden blocks that house 50 rounds each and I had reloaded 250(5 blocks) and had not gauged them yet. Well normally I gauge all my rounds with my Dillon case gauge. Some of the rounds are tight in the gauge however I have an idea of what I can get away with since the gauge is really precise. Today I decided for S***S and giggles to "plunk test" my rounds. I used the barrel out of my Commander for my gauge and guess what-I had a round that by no means would fit halfway down the barrel. It would stick hard and I mean hard!!! I use an old Herter's single stage loader for all my .45's which means I have to resize, deprime and bell the rounds, and then install my projectiles which are Berry 230 grn. round nose. The ONLY thing I can think of is I DID NOT resize that round or did it improper which is almost impossible to do. I must have failed to resize that round. Somehow I got out of my standard way of following my procedure and failed to resize the casing. I emphasize to all who reload: Stick to your procedures and do not get distracted!! I am so glad I found that round before going to the range and having an AD or even worse. Make sure you gauge each and every round before using. I am not proud (actually ashammed) telling of my screw up but I don't want anyone to ever get hurt by not following your set procedure. :mad:
    Tommy

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

It's a good reminder!
    So glad you caught it and so very glad you didn't get hurt! Never be ashamed to share an oops. That's how others learn and WE ALL make mistakes or get a bit distracted.
    Check! Recheck and recheck again! Can't stress it enough! Also don't just check one!
    Good catch!
    Was the entire batch unsized? Or just a few?

Last edited: May 17, 2015

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

When I resize a case, the spent primers are also removed.

So in my procedure, if I missed the sizing of a casing, it would still have the spent primer installed, and I would know that it hasnt been sized.

I load all my ammo on an old RCBS rockchucker, single stage. I have more time than sense.:)

You cant hurry reloading, glad you took the time to check,check,check.

Jim

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You are lucky. Your next range day could have been a bad experience. Sometimes we are led to do something that saves us future grief. You must be living right.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

It was only 1 round that was missed but that's still 1 round too many. On my Herters, I have to resize first, then deprime and bell the mouth of the casing, third stage is bullet seating and sizing. I still use a Hornady hand primer so usually I prime after I have done my second stage. I usually have music on or possibly my neighbor will come over and visit, however when he is here, I just stop doing what I am doing to visit. It takes me a long time to reload 250 rounds but I am not on a time clock. Would love to convert my Dillon Square D over to progressive .45 but for some reason I am reluctant and I think that is due to the resizing aspect. I want to KNOW how that casing looks after I have resized and how it looks when it is deprimed. By doing it that way, I have double checked my work. Sounds tedious, and it is, but safety is my prime importance.
    Tommy

6. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Glad it was just one.
    These things happen. :) You caught it and that's what matters.

7. Photo35

Photo35 New Member

Tommycourt I use a micrometer on each and watch the col very close. The best thing I can say is when you reload...do it when you are not tired or pressed for time. One more lesson I learned the hard way.... Only load a few at a time, check them out to make sure all is well. The Charge, the col and the case condition. If you make a mistake you need only to correct a few not a few hundred. Be Safe.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Photo,
    When I reload I keep my calipers and case gauge right next to me. I case my wood blocks (which hold 50) when I get done. Now with my old Herter's single stage, and unlike Jim, I have to resize the casing and then I deprime and reshape the casing, so I have a 4 step procedure. I have talked to my wife and neighbors that when I am pouring powder and seating the bullets, they CANNOT stop or disturb me. With the Herters I can usually feel "resistance" when bullet seating and that's what alerts me to, at that time, measure the COAL on that round. Normally I will check the COAL about every 3-5 rounds. My equipment is old so I have to make sure I get my procedure down pat, with no exceptions and follow it strictly. My normal routine is to load 50 rounds and then quit and rest. I have found out that if I hurry and try to load more than I should, I might screw up. I agree with you whole heartedly, you cannot be too careful. The calipers, case gauge and my powder scale are my best friends and I use them constantly. I think this was a case of being distracted however I am not sure so I have to go over my procedures again to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the advise!!!! Much obliged!!
    Tommy

9. Photo35

Photo35 New Member

Tommy, I was at the range today with the new Brand new 9E, Manufacture date and test fire 5/01/2015. That's new! What I found out that some of my reloads that work in my Beretta and Hi-Point very well did not cycle in the Ruger. I later found out that the recoil spring is Factory 18 .lbs. My loads are a bit to light for the 9E. I will bump up the Auto comp from 4.8 grs. to 5.1 with 115 grain Berry Round nose. This is a little hotter than I usually load but I think I load to light anyway. I'll let you know what is happening. I hope it is not the Ruger.