Scouring the pawn shops

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Tommycourt, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

My buddy Joe from Iowa is visiting with me for about 10 days and since the weather has turned to crap we decided to hit the guns shops and pawn shops. Sportsman's Warehouse had a Ruger SR1911, full size and asking price was $779.00 and that was yesterday. Today we hit some more gun store and concentrated on pawn shops. We saw a High Standard pistol that looked nice in the countertop and asked to look at it. The nice side was up and the bottom side was really crappy from severe rust and grit. Price was $325.00. One pawn shop had a Ruger SR1911 and they were asking $669.00 which was much less than Sportsmans. Our pawn shops are asking, for the most part, new gun prices and we found very few used guns. Most were selling new ones. I was surprised as I know many of you buy guns at pawn shops but here in Az. there ain't no bargins there. We did find one LGS that had .22 cal rounds and they were asking $12.95 for a hundred round pack of CCI's. Anyway, that's how we spend the last 2 days. So much for the bargins. We came home today with 1 can of Rem-Oil that I use to clean my SR1911's with and it was $13.95. Better luck next time I guess.

Tommy

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I find the same thing at pawn shops around here. For what they want you might as well buy a new gun.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You guys don't understand how Pawn Shops operate.
    I may be going to work (part time 12 hrs a week) and I know the owners very well,
    They own 7 shops.

They buy for 1/3 to 1/4 of going street prices...then..price it at new prices.
    I seen a guy ,That needed money bring a great Ruger 10/22 , like the one I have in the Ruger pic thread, its a $500 rifle all day long, .
    They gave him $90 for it, he walked out. They will price it at $500-$600.

It the price tag says $300 He has $100 in it.
    If its slow you can buy it for $150, otherwise it may be $200.

You cant imagine how many people will pay te tagged price.

Guys, ya gotta make a ridiculous offer, and watch how far they come down.

I have bought MANY guns at Pawn Shops.

Jim

4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Can't remember ever paying the tagged price in a pawn shop. Gotta negotiate every time. They expect it. Helps if you pull the cash out and put it on the counter, means you're serious and not just jerking them around. Once you've bought a few from a favorite shop, they'll usually just tell you what the lowest price is they're willing to sell it for.

5. phideaux

Yep, ^^^

I was gonna add that ,

if you are a regular customer, they know you, and just give the lowest price they can , just to move inventory, and still make a buck.

Jim

6. buster40c

LOL I am better to walk out. I have enough guns already. I just like looking. I have seen some really old Smiths that looked like behind the seat of the p/up guns and they wanted $600 for them. I think to myself they have to be kidding asking that much for that beater gun. They had an excellent condition Dan Wesson revolver for $350 which really surprised me being it looked like new. I checked prices online and that was about the going price. Still it looked and was so much nicer than the S&W trade marks guns.

7. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I doubt I am going to buy any more guns until a republican gets in office. They are all way over priced. Especially used AR's.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah! There is a fair amount of ambiguity there, Ernesto.

9. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

I am on the east coast...same thing here. Unbelievable retail prices, especially on handguns. If you can develop a relationship with the owner, and get a heads up when quality stuff is coming out of pawn and into the retail sales display case, sometimes you can get a good deal. Let them know what you are interested in, and they might be willing to give you a call for the sake of a fast sale.

10. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

There was one pawn shop up in Fredericksburg where I used to live that had a really nice gun section, and people who knew what they were talking about. They priced the guns fairly at least in comparison to other gun stores in the area, and they would "dicker" a bit on the prices. I bought a couple of guns from them.

One time, when I was out of work and needed some quick cash, I pawned a gun there. They gave me a fair pawn for the gun, not retail of course, I didn't expect that, but they did give me what I asked for. Which was an amount I KNEW I could pay back on time. I came back early, paid the pawn off, and got my gun back out of hock. Sort of like a "pay day" loan. Never borrow more than you know you can pay back on time, and you're ok.

I never saw any guns at other pawn shops that interested me.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Amen to being a regular at the Pawn Shop, have gotten many good buys that way. Although not a Ruger, I once bought an unfired Kentucky rifle that had hung on a wall until layered in dust for just $50.00. Turned out to be a great shooter. Mostly just need to know your guns.:cool:

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Dang it guys.
    I never shop at pawn shops. But after seeing ya'll post about them........
    Today I stopped at one just to look around. They had a new Henry .22 Mag blued w/octagon barrel. I love straight stock L/A rifles, have had a few.
    Man, the furniture on that thing is some kind of beautiful. And it's got the 'gold like' inlay on that octagon barrel. Asking price: $454. :jawdrop:
    Now I want that rifle. See what you guys did???
    Jim said a guy could try making an offer and I almost did. Then I remembered, there is no .22 Mag ammo to be had anywhere in my area.
    So, there is a bright side to this .22 ammo shortage, it saved me some money today.
    No promises about tomorrow though. :brickwall: I think they open at 8:00 AM.........

13. buster40c

LOL They open at 8AM.

14. phideaux

My buddy knows I'm always looking for a Marlin 444 lever action.

He called me tonight, and said MY LOCAL Pawn Shop, just put one out. Pristine.

They also open at 8 AM....:rolleyes:

Jim