Scopes on 22lr

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by hcol, May 25, 2016.

1. hcol

hcol New Member

Hey guys it's loch,
    I just bought the Ruger American 18" with treaded muzzle. I was looking at putting a scope on it. What scope do you thing is best.

I would like it to be on the cheaper side and be able to shoot 150m easily.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

On a 22lr, most will recommend a fixed power, either a 2X or 4X.:)

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

If you live near a Scheel's sporting goods store, take a look at their store brand, called "Icon". Both the fixed and variable have good glass and are pretty reasonable. I think about 100 for fixed 4x and 150 for 3x9. I've shot with them and for that price they're about as good as it gets.

4. hcol

hcol New Member

It doesn't look like we have scheels in Australia. I will find out if I can get anything shipped in.

5. spikedriver

I apologize, I didn't realize you were in Australia. Scheels does ship from their website. I'm just not sure what that might cost for international shipping.

6. hcol

hcol New Member

That's fine. Do you know any brands that work on an international scale?

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

One thing to think about, like most things, you get what you pay for in a scope.
    I've never heard a guy say, this scope is too good for my rifle. But I have heard many say they wish they would've spent more the first time.....
    Just my .02 cent worth. ;)

8. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

After using both 22 LR, and 22 WMR for almost a half century I have standardized on using Leupold, fixed-power, 4X scopes. I also use, 'see-thru' scope mounts. 150 meters is, kind 'a, 'pushing it' for an LR/WMR, though; isn't it!

Zero @ 57.5 yards. (Then the MPBR sighting method, or Maximum Point Blank Range, on a vertical 6 inch target area will approximate a, 'dead-on' hold all the way out to 100 - 105 yards.)

NOTE: My Winchester Model 9422 XTR is hanging on the wall above my head as I type; and I'm going to the range, probably today, in order to check it for the proper MPBR zero.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  9. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

I have a Nikon EFR on my benchrest .22 and absolutely love it. My other favorite scope is one I regard as probably the most underrated "cheap" scope on the market, the BSA "Sweet .22". I now have two; one's on a Henry HT0001, lever with octagonal Target Barrel; the other's on a Ruger 10/22 Target model. I shoot Wolf Match Extra in the Bench rifle and get almost as good results as I got with Eley Tenex. (I'm now 73 and won't be giving the Anschutz/Eley crowd much more than fits at Bench meets with my Kimber 82G and Wolf ammo, but I can compete economically.) I use the other two rifles at "Sport" shoots where I'm usually on the high side of the tallies, if not the top shooter, but I'm happy as I'm still shooting -- and competing -- economically as befits my Social Security budget.

10. hcol

hcol New Member

I couldn't remember how far you could get a good shot at so I just said 150m. 100 meters would be fine.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone!

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I struggle to get good grouping at 100 yards with good bolt action rifle, good scope, best ammo, and perfect conditions.

You may want to start at 50 yards, and work out from there.

Yep, don't buy cheap scope for accurate shooting..:rolleyes::)

Ask me how I know this.:D

Jim

12. RA17

RA17 New Member

For a .22LR you might want to stick closer to 100m and less :)

13. hcol

hcol New Member

Ok. Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have a Remington 541S that I have had for years and it is still mint. Years ago I bought a believe it was a Bill Ruger 40th anniversary scope 4X with gold inlaid on the side of the adjustments. It just made the rifle look better. I had a lot of Ruger 10/22's and all I ever mounted on them were 4X Weavers. I preferred to stay on the cheap side as this was my squirrel shooter and most shots were 60 yards or less. I did however enter some silhouette shoots with the Remington and had to do some Kentucky windage adjustments on it but it did a good job. My idea is not to go overboard on optics for a .22 cal. Save your money for good optics on your deer/elk rifle. Just MHO is all. Check on E-Bay and you may find some good optics for little money.

Tommy

15. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Used to be if it didn't say Weaver on the side, I did not buy it.

When I bought my first 45-70 rifle I was talked into buying a Simmons Pro Diamond shotgun scope. Now Simmons is all I buy.

16. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I just bought a Simmons Whitetail 6.5x20x50 ,
    Its my 4th one. ya cant beat their clarity and quality,.....or their price.

I'm, also a Simmons fan.

They are overlooked and underestimated.

I have a Simmons 3x9x44mag on my Marlin 22 magnum bolt rifle and , honestly couldn't put anything on her that would work any better.

Jim

17. spikedriver

^^^ I got a buddy that says for the money, the .44 mag Simmons is among the best in its class. He's a bit of an optics snob, so he buys the more expensive stuff now, but you can still find .44 mag scopes on his rimfires.

18. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Years back, like 20-25 yrs, I liked those Simmons. At the time that's what was available locally and what I could afford as a student. Years later though I tried another Simmons and the first trip to the range it opened my eyes that there was a big difference in optical quality and getting what you pay for. It was horrible! One magazine through that 10/22 and it went back in the case the optics were so bad. Opened up giving the scope away. Do still have that old one on one of the #1's.