Scope Recommendation

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by maineultraclassic, Dec 10, 2013.

1. maineultraclassic

maineultraclassic New Member

I just picked up the Ruger American in .308, and I'm now in the market for a scope for this rifle.

I don't want to go crazy on a scope, I'm not going to be spending more on a scope then I did on the rifle.....$299.

I'll be using this rifle for primarily deer hunting.......so I'm thinking like a 4-12x40 scope or something similar would be perfect. Something less then $200 would be nice, and should be plenty good enough.

Thanks for any help, hints, or links.

Steve

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

3. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Not sure how much magnification you want, but Redfield has some pretty good scopes in that price range. And there's always the old standby, Bushnell Trophy. Those scopes are not the best for anything, but adequate for just about everything.

5. maineultraclassic

I looked at the Redfield scopes.........they look good for the money.

Any word on Pentax?

Steve

6. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

7. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

I tried a Pentax rifle scope ("Gameseeker" as I recall), on my Mini-14. The reticle actually collapsed within 20 rounds. They replaced it with another...same thing. The cross hairs literally fell. As Uncle Si would say...a piece of junk!

8. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

KMO that is disappointing performance from Pentax. I have heard my coyote hunting buddies say that Minis are hard on scopes though. Something about the bolt slapping back real hard during the recoil cycle. Guess I will know not to use Pentax...

9. maineultraclassic

3-9x40 is what I'm looking for.

Trying to find a great deal on a good scope.........under $200, around $150 would be nice.

Mueller are made in Michigan, and right at $150.......but I haven't heard a lot about them good or bad.

Ebay has a bunch, but you have to search thru a few thousand to see what you can find.

Steve

10. maineultraclassic

I'm leaning towards a Weaver 40/44 series at 3-9x40 with the ballistic X.
    The eye relief is listed at 3.5", and I hope that is going to be enough.

For what I'm going to use it for, and the amount of use it will probably get..........I think this will fit the bill just fine and not break the bank.

Steve

11. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I use a Nikon prostaff on mine. 3-9x40. You can get those for around $169 There very good for the price

12. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

I bought a Vortex Viper for my Ruger American in the 270. Great glass and lifetime warranty. Highly recommended it.

13. Shootermedic816

Shootermedic816 New Member

I have a Cabelas Big Game Tactical on my American .308, it's a decent scope for the price. I paid around 100 for it a couple years ago. The turrets are calibrated for .308 with 150gn projectiles. I've shot mine out to 350 yards and get a decent grouping. I don't have the distance to push out farther than that so I can't speak for the optic performance past 350. Here's a link to it.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...|104752080|104623380&WTz_l=DirectLoad;pod8119

-Jonathan
    aka ShooterMedic816

14. unclebobbyB

unclebobbyB New Member

I love my nikon prostaff bought on amazon for 170$ with scope mounts

15. bulldog5

bulldog5 New Member

I bought redfield (40) for my American in 243. It was $199 and have been very pleased with it so far

16. bulldog5

bulldog5 New Member

I have 2 Nikon pro staff scopes (both are 50) and very pleased with them also, they are a little more costly however

17. Flipflop

Flipflop New Member

Dont send me too much hate mail,
    the last 2 scopes I bought were UTGs, I have a 4x12 on an AR and I am very happy with it
    I also have a 4x16 on my PTR and I am very happy with it as well

you can get them off Amazon for under $200

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-12X44-M...d=1413315137&sr=8-16&keywords=UTG+rifle+scope

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-4-16X50-H...id=1413315137&sr=8-8&keywords=UTG+rifle+scope

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-30mmAccuS...id=1413315137&sr=8-1&keywords=UTG+rifle+scope

I have been shooting these for a couple of years and I am starting to wonder if I will ever buy another high dollar scope again. They come with rings and flip up covers.

You might also want to look at the Super Snipers for the money, one heck of a scope for the money,,
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

you can find some deals on the Super Snipers, they have a long history of being some quality scopes with impressive results.

You have to figure out if you want an adjustable power scope or a fixed power scope.

You might find some scopes with a little better color or light transmission for a lot more $, but if I can hit the gong at 1000 yards with a $150 scopes , well I won't be buying any more $600+ scopes unless I win the lotto.

18. cptslick

cptslick New Member

I have a Leupold VX1 3x9x40 on my Ruger American Predator .308

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

I wouldn't trust ANY Simmons! Get a Nikon Prostaff, Weaver Classic, Bushnell Elite 3200, or something along those lines. I've replaced hundreds of cheap scopes over the years & have personally seen many failed Simmons scopes, along with Tasco, cheaper Bushnell model lines such as Sportview, BSA, Famous Maker, NcStar, Barska, etc. If you buy a decent scope you'll only have to buy 1 instead of another scope later to replace the failed cheap scope.

20. Flipflop

Flipflop New Member

It is easy to get caught up in Brand names no matter what your shopping for.
    I used a $800 plus Leupold VX III 6.5-20 on my Varmint rifle and a $150 UTG 6-16 on my PTR yesterday. They are both great scopes, is the Leupold a nicer scope , YES. Does the UTG get the job done with room to spare,, YES. The Leupold is also Made In the USA, not all their products are, but many of the rifle scopes are.

Will you be disappointed with a really cheap scope? Probably. But value is in the eye of the beholder. Some times you have to step back from the interweb chatter and decide for your self what is just group think from people just parroting what they read or what really makes sense. As we all know you could spend the next 6 months reading about optics and be no closer to making a good choice.

The shooting range I have been frequenting has a new board with names and details of people who have hit the 1000 yard gong, there was a dozen or so people up there, but there was only 4 brands of scopes on the board. Nikko, SSA,Vortex and US Optics. (That is Nikko, not Nikon). Just food for thought. There was more Nikkos then the other brands. It could be that this was a club (Probably Marines from Pendelton) who shoot together and maybe that explains why there are so many Nikkos, but it is hard to argue with results however it happened.

Nikon has a long history of making good lenses, I have nothing against Nikkon. I am a big fan of leupold and I try to buy US made product when ever I can. If you have a local company that makes optics I would understand wanting to support that as well.

If I were you, I would be thinking about what conditions I was likely to be hunting in, how much light there is, what the ranges are and start with what model scopes fit that and worry about the Brand secondly.

For example I have 22lr Target Rifle, I put a Leupold 3-9x40 (1" tube) scope on there many, many years ago. The other day I was thinking about how I had it set on 9 power and could not recall shooting it on any other setting. Maybe I had way back when I got it, but at this point 3-8 power seemed pointless. So now I am thinking I probably would have been better off just getting a fixed power scope that let in a little more light. I am thinking a good 10 power, 50mm Objective with a 30mm tube would have served me better. Dollar for Dollar I could have done better. Of course hind sight tends to be 20/20. If I was looking for fixed 10 power scope, I doubt I would have picked a Leupold. So you might want to ask yourself if you are ever going to shoot a deer with your rifle on 3x power? Maybe you are? I have no idea what your going to do, but you probably do.
    So anyways you might want to think about it from the stand point of the conditions first. The older I get the more I enjoy a nice big clear image regardless of the the power of magnification.

Here is a write up comparing the Mueller to several other scopes. Muellerhttp://www.snipercentral.com/muellertac.htm
    Reviews http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-mueller-optics-3-9-x-40mm-sport-dot-series-water-proof-rifle-scope.html

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014