Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have a lot of saved 22lr casings but I think reloading them would be way to much trouble. It sounds like an explosion waiting to happen also. Maybe I will melt down the casings into brass ingots for sale.

Reactions: Carl Crosby

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Yea...I'm with Jerry.

I have more .22lr than the next ten people I know anyway...

I do however...save all: 9mm, .38 Special / .357 Magnum, .44 Special / Magnum, .45 ACP casings, and 12 gauge high brass hulls.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
This looks like a good deal. I think when I am too old to shoot, I will sit at my rocking chair at the old folks home and make these rounds. In a good day, I might get 5 or 6 made and the money I make will give me an extra peanut and jelly sandwich. I will start a company: Tommy's Home Made Ammo". Good for practice shooting and not hit anything because it probably won't fire.

Bob, Go ahead and make some and I will buy the first thousand rounds. $10.00 per 500/brick. Me thinks you have too much time on your hands. Go buy some .22 and do some shooting!!!!

Tommy

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a lot of saved 22lr casings but I think reloading them would be way to much trouble. It sounds like an explosion waiting to happen also. Maybe I will melt down the casings into brass ingots for sale.

Buster,

I just looked up the scrap metal price for yellow brass as of 12/20. It is $1.74 a pound. Of course it does not include ingots but only scrap. So if you sold ten pounds you would get $17.40. I wouldn't start melting yet.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The melting point of brass (85% copper, 15% zinc) is approximately 1700 F. That's a lot hotter than lead melts at. Does a bullet making furnace get that hot?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
The melting point of brass (85% copper, 15% zinc) is approximately 1700 F. That's a lot hotter than lead melts at. Does a bullet making furnace get that hot?
Nope..........

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Well if anyone wants to trade 22lr casings for 38 spl casing I am ready to trade.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think I blew it. In six years I sold 55 gallons of 22 brass for scrap. Now I am stuck buying factory loads. I guess it don't matter anyway, because I shoot way faster than I could reload.
I see an add in Backwoodsman magizine, to buy everything you need to reload 22s, for $74.95. 22 mags, a bit higher.
Thing I will stick to, cash, and carry.
I remember using fired 22 brass to make fire crackers, sort of. Put a wooden match head in a 22 case, pinch top shut, lay on an anvil, and hit with a hamner.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I think I blew it. In six years I sold 55 gallons of 22 brass for scrap. Now I am stuck buying factory loads. I guess it don't matter anyway, because I shoot way faster than I could reload.
I see an add in Backwoodsman magizine, to buy everything you need to reload 22s, for $74.95. 22 mags, a bit higher.
Thing I will stick to, cash, and carry.
I remember using fired 22 brass to make fire crackers, sort of. Put a wooden match head in a 22 case, pinch top shut, lay on an anvil, and hit with a hamner.
When I was a kid, we never got fireworks. We got dynamite fuse from grandpa's shed, laid out a short piece of it on an anvil, then hit it with a hammer. It made a most satisfying bang, but the object was to see who got the most distance from the anvil with the hammer

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Hey Gumpy what did grampa say about you using up his dynamite fuse? Was that one of those things you got away with?

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Gumpy,

How long was the handle on your hammer. How could you swing a hammer with a 10 foot handle, either that or you were much faster in those days! *****YANK*******************Yank******************YANK!!!

Couldn't pass up the chance to do a little leg yanking!!!!!:cryinglaugh:
Tommy

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Not a complete yank! My grandfather was a Blacksmith and the only one for miles. I turned the rotary bellows for hin when I turned nine years old. I got the chance to bang some items when they were in the rough stage. I really enjoyed it and my first profession was Journeyman Machinest and Tool and Die maker. As for the handle part, I've never been to fast. Figured out what angle I held the hammer. at for the least chance of injury! Ha

·
Registered
112 Posts
Buster,

I just looked up the scrap metal price for yellow brass as of 12/20. It is $1.74 a pound. Of course it does not include ingots but only scrap. So if you sold ten pounds you would get $17.40. I wouldn't start melting yet.
At that rate about every 2 lbs of brass would get you a new box of ammo.

Seen somewhere on the web that 729 empty 22lr cases weigh 1 lb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts