Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My elderly brother-in-law gave me this as he no longer had a use for it. The old Savage-Stevens company no longer exists and the 987 model was the end of the line for this line of semi-autos (starting with the Model 87). I guess the new Savage company replaced it with the Model 64 :confused:.

Anyhoo . . . Sometimes one has to remind oneself that an old $50-75 30-year-old rifle, with an inexpensive Simmons .22 Magnum scope (new), and cheap Winchester Super X ammo, can still have accurate fun at the range. 67 degrees on Jan. 3 in Alabama helps, too.

5.5 inch target at 25 yds, from a bench rest.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
That's an excellent rifle. At the time it was first produced, it was a very affordable rifle, and back then accuracy was a given!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Looks very similar to my Marlin Model 60 made back in 1978.
Many newer guns of the same model of long ago don't have near the quality of the older guns. Your gun looks in cherry condition.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I love savage rifles........

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey Fundy , you cant beat those old 22s.
You probably have shot the 87A , when I first got it.
I'm a Savage fan also.

Here are a couple oldies,

They are nicknamed "gillguns due to the slotted receiver,

The Savage 6A was the first of this design, it is stamped Stevens/Savage.
The 87A is actually stamped Savage.

Springfield also made an identical rifle(which I also own)

They are all extremely accurate , and function flawlessly.

Savage.jpg

de677553-4271-434c-a173-e834d7f027e1_zpsad634b22.jpg

savage 87A.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey Fundy , you cant beat those old 22s.
You probably have shot the 87A , when I first got it. I'm a Savage fan also.
They are all extremely accurate , and function flawlessly. Jim
W-e-l-l :rolleyes: My little treasure does function flawlessly . . . most of the time. If the trigger group/bolt is the least bit dirty, it likes to chain fire three or four rounds. Now I don't mind full auto occasionally but SOs at the range get real excited. :eek:

Maybe I need to let you work on her, Jim. My smith here took her completely apart, cleaned her and she was fine - for the first 100 rounds - now she's back to her old ways. Oops, better stop with that metaphor . . . I'm getting carried away. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts