Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got around to testing this Savage a little today.
I have never even thought of a 18" barrel .22 rifle as being very accurate past 50 yards. I had it zeroed at 50 yrds , and it was shooting 1 " groups typically using Federal Bulk, with an occassional flyer.
So I gave it some time on the 100yrd range today,
I have to say I was impressed that it held ok groups , at that distance and with winds at 10mph and somewhat gusty.
I started shooting Federal Bulk , and was holding 2-3" groups typically with an occassional flyer. I could tell a difference in POI when the barrel got pretty warm at times, and when I let it go over 50 rounds without running the bore snake. Once I ran the bore snake, my groups got better immediately and started spreading out again at about 50 rounds.
Then I swithched over to some Eley Target .22 and seen a big improvement in consistecy.
I only had about 20 rounds of the Eley, so I saved some for ground hogs.

100_4805.jpg

100_4806.jpg

this target has typical groups of Federal , then 2 groups of Eley in upper left corner. I never had a flyer with the Eley, but I only shot about 14 rounds.

100_4808.jpg

Target on left is tipical of groups using Federal Bulk.
Target on right was when I switched to Eley.
First shot was right by 2" and high by 1"., 2nd shot (after adj) was right 3/4" and low 1/4"
Then I grouped the next 6 shots to left. Im happy with that at 100 yards.

100_4811.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
today a 5pm. Put the crosshairs of scope on the back of his neck, thats exactly where it hit,(maybe a little lower, didnt pick around looking for the hole.) These varmints are destructive, and will undermine your entire property, if you let em go.

1 shot with Savage FVSR , Eley Target .22lr,40 gr LRN ammo, at 130 yards.
Head shot , and fell like a rock.Thats a challenge (for me).

I just zeroed this rifle to 100 yards , a few days ago, it paid off.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts