Savage Axis XP

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by squirrelhunter, Apr 25, 2013.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Thinking of getting a Savage Axis XP in .223 for coyotes.Anybody have any experience with these by chance? I've never owned a Savage and it's the only bolt action .223 I've found so far.I thought about a semi-automatic but don't really want to spend that much.The only 1 I would even be interested in is the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch rifle,but they're a lot more than the Savage.
    Thanks in advance.

2. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Squirrel
    I have 2 of them one in 22-250 and 243. The 243 was great right out of the box I bought it for my daughter for deer hunting and the 22-250 for coyotes here in mich. If you get the xp remember the scopes are not that good. Replaced both scopes on mine and have never looked back. 223 ammo is hard to find here in a good hunting ammo that's why I went with the 22-250 for woodchucks and yotes. hope this helps :cool:

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I went thru the same thing a couple months ago.
    I like Savage rifles,
    Everyone I ever shot was a tack driver.
    I have a Savage 110 in 30-06 that is a tack driver.
    I just bought A savage 11 XP Trophy Hunter in .223, sorry havent even had time to shoot it yet. I think I posted up pics of it ,after I painted it.
    I know a few guys that have the same one ,and theirs is crazy accurate out of the box.
    Think about this.
    What you gonna pay for a Axis then a new scope. OK.
    I got the Savage 11 XP Trophy Hunter with A really nice Nikon Prostaff scope for $493 OTD. The TH comes as a package with Nikon Prostaff on it. The Prostaff 3x9x40 runs $169-$199.
    It is a 1:9 twist ,which is a good rate for varmint rounds 55 to 62 gr.

Savage rifles are known for their accuracy being great outta the box.

Jim

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I love Savage Rifles, but I'd suggest spending a few bucks more and getting a model with the accutrigger. savage makes a fabulous rifle, but the trigger is what really sets it in a class of its own and at a price that is unbelievably low.

5. squirrelhunter

I reload my own.I've got a Contender in .223 now but decided to get 1 that wasn't a single shot.I figured since I already have the dies and stuff I'd stay with the .223.I've got some made up for the Contender with Hornady V-Max I figured I'd try in it when I get it,after I resized the brass.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  6. squirrelhunter

Thanks,I'll check into that.

7. phideaux

Hey Squirrel,

I forgot to tell you, the Trophy Hunter has the accu-trigger, which is one of the best, if not the best factory trigger out there.

Jim

8. squirrelhunter

Yeah I saw that when I was looking them up. It definitely sounds like the better deal with that and the Nikon scope,even though it does have a composite stock :rolleyes:,I prefer old fashion wood myself :D. But beggars can't be choosers. P.S. It'll be the first gun I've ever owned with a composite stock :eek:.

9. phideaux

I prefer wood also, but for hunting in some heavy wooded and brushy stuff , the synthetics dont get beat up.
    Unless you paint them, but even that ,not so bad, its tough.
    I got some pics of a painted Savage on here somewhere.

Jim

10. phideaux

Hey SH,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the Savage11 XP Trophy Hunter after I painted it.
    Changing color is easy.

Jim

11. squirrelhunter

Nice.Definitely an eye catcher.