Ruger Talk Forums banner

Satin Finish on a Super Red Hawk?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ifithitu 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy! New to the forum but in need of guidance!

I just acquired a Super Red Hawk with very low mileage but with one "issue".

The previous owner, for what ever reason, polished the barrel and nothing else!
It looks nickel where the frame and cylinder are original. I personally don't care for nickel colored firearms and would like to either ATTEMPT to restore the barrel finish or bead blast the entire unit.

Here lies the issue: I highly doubt the barrel can be restored and still match, and I'm not sure how I feel about having a matte finish, do you think its possible to create a satin style finish? I've done a bunch of Googling on bead blasting with glass, walnut, ect but I feel the walnut would create a shiny surface and other media would give the metal too much of a profile (course).
:dunno:

What cha think?

#6 ·
Sorry to hear it was stolen! I'm not sure what finish that would be, this ones only a couple years old. I've done further googling and think I can get a finish that suits me with some fine glass beads and low psi. I have some polished stainless at work I will hone the technique on.

#9 ·
Well, I did it. I bought some fine glass beads for my hand held sand blaster, disassembled the SRH and let er rip! I'm VERY happy with the results, she came out a slightly dull satin finish that's oddly exactly what I was hoping for. The worse part was cleaning all the grit from the pistol before reassembly, quite a pain!
Bicycle part Bumper Wood Gas Door

Revolver Tool Bicycle part Gas Cylinder

Attachments

#11 ·
I think you did a great job on your re-finishing. The roll crimp is not damaged and the pistol looks basically like my old Super Red Hawk looked like. You may have to "tend" to the blasted area a little closer when done shooting, but that is certainly something to be proud of. Good for you!!!!!!!

Tommy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.