Satin Finish on a Super Red Hawk?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Skybolt, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Skybolt

Skybolt New Member

Howdy! New to the forum but in need of guidance!

I just acquired a Super Red Hawk with very low mileage but with one "issue".

The previous owner, for what ever reason, polished the barrel and nothing else!
    It looks nickel where the frame and cylinder are original. I personally don't care for nickel colored firearms and would like to either ATTEMPT to restore the barrel finish or bead blast the entire unit.

Here lies the issue: I highly doubt the barrel can be restored and still match, and I'm not sure how I feel about having a matte finish, do you think its possible to create a satin style finish? I've done a bunch of Googling on bead blasting with glass, walnut, ect but I feel the walnut would create a shiny surface and other media would give the metal too much of a profile (course).
    :dunno:

What cha think?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum,

Thanks for joining.

Sorry, I'm not understanding exactly what look your wanting to end up with.

Jim

3. Skybolt

Skybolt New Member

Well that makes two of us!

I would like a finish that's close to the original satin if possible.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm no expert here,

But I would research using Vinegar on the barrel to bring bit back to match the frame .

Jim

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I had a super Redhawk with the long lug years ago before it got stolen and it was stainless. Are you trying to replicate the "old" look from years ago?

Tommy

6. Skybolt

Skybolt New Member

Sorry to hear it was stolen! I'm not sure what finish that would be, this ones only a couple years old. I've done further googling and think I can get a finish that suits me with some fine glass beads and low psi. I have some polished stainless at work I will hone the technique on.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome from Texas :tiphat:
    I'm thinking bead blasting would give it a pretty course finish.

Maybe show the gun to someone that does Cerakote.
    The stuff they use to 'blast' the bluing off of blued guns may (?) give you the finish you're after.

Good luck and glad to have you here at R/T with us.

:usa:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. Skybolt

Skybolt New Member

That's a very good idea, just so happens I know a guy who knows a guy!

9. Skybolt

Skybolt New Member

Well, I did it. I bought some fine glass beads for my hand held sand blaster, disassembled the SRH and let er rip! I'm VERY happy with the results, she came out a slightly dull satin finish that's oddly exactly what I was hoping for. The worse part was cleaning all the grit from the pistol before reassembly, quite a pain!
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1490574825.144540.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1490574846.341306.jpg

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

That looks really good.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I think you did a great job on your re-finishing. The roll crimp is not damaged and the pistol looks basically like my old Super Red Hawk looked like. You may have to "tend" to the blasted area a little closer when done shooting, but that is certainly something to be proud of. Good for you!!!!!!!

Tommy

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Couldn't have said it any better myself. :Cooltu: Congrats on a job well done.

:usa:

13. Skybolt

Skybolt New Member

Thanks for all the positive comments, like I said, I'm quite surprised it came out as good as it did the first go around. but OMG I thought I'd NEVER get it free of the blast media!

14. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Welcome from KY.