Satellite Internet ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Jun 9, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I just got my new DSL (AT&T) bill.

It doubled.

WE don't have a land line phone only stand alone DSL.
    It went from Total $37/mo to $64.81/mo.

I'm tired of trying to negotiate for endless hours on the phone, with AT&T every few months,

So I was wondering if anyone uses Satellite internet such as Dish, Direct, Hughes, or Exede ?

If so...what is your experience ?

:mad:
    Jim

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Living in the country where there is no cable or even dsl I have had to really investigate the options. Most of the satellite providers are actually just going through Hughes which if you google Hughes reviews you will see they suck turnips. They get you by limiting usage on a 24 hour basis. If after so many hours in one day you have met the max usage they shut you down till the next day or they will throttle down your usage speeds to almost nothing. Cancelling service with them is a nightmare from what I have read.
    I had Sprint cell for internet and it got so slow that dial up would run laps around it. Don't believe they don't throttle your usage speeds because they almost bring it to a crawl.
    My neighbors got dishes installed and I checked the internet for reviews of the company. Yep the company sucks turnips like the other satellite services.
    I ended up using Verizon wifi for internet service. it costs me $82 for a month or 10 gb whichever comes first. If I watch a lot of videos then the 10gb can go before the month. When I hit 9 gb used then I make sure I don't download any more videos.
    Before signing with any company check the reviews and don't use the company site expecting to see negative reviews there. I have yet to see a satellite company that got unbiased good reviews. I will not touch them with someone else's 10' pole. It's unreal they don't let you try their service before locking you into their contract.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

I am using Dish and before that I had Direct TV. Now my subscription runs out on Dish in November and I REFUSE to re-new my contract. With Direct they kept raising the price on TV and it won't work right half of the time. Dish had me sign a 2 year contract and they said it would be for $45.00 per month. Second year it went to $96.00 per month and just yesterday I got a letter from them stating they would like to bundle my package and save me money. As far as our cell phones and land line we use Verizon. We had never re-newed our contract after it expired about 4 years ago so my wife went down and got a new phone and she said to use my cell phone for everything. Prior to Verizon, we had Sprint and I had nothing but problems with them. All I can say it you have to read the fine print when you subscribe to any type of TV or phone usage. Ask from who has learned the hard way..........ME!!!!

Tommy

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

About contracts with Dish and Direct - get it in writing. When the contract runs out, don't renew -and wait for a month or three. You will start getting phone calls, and email, and letters. The offer price will go down dramatically. The contract language will be very iffy to start with, but that will change for the better too. So if you can get by with semaphores and smoke signals for a few months, and watch TV in bars...

5. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My Pops has Hughes for internet. It's not that great. He uses Dish network for tv, and he switches back and forth from them to Direct because one or the other always has a deal going. They are going to try and screw you, so why not screw them first and play them off of each other?

6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I just use Verizon for internet. It the best coverage, at least in the western 2/3 of the nation. If you have decent Verizon coverage in your area, get a jet pack (or whatever they are using these days for home internet). One warning: if you got a steel roof, it blocks the signal.

7. phideaux

Geeze...thanks guys...:rolleyes:;)

I suspected that would be the case...
    I do have a metal roof.

I cant find anything positive about any of the Satellite Internet services, except for Exede.

I'm gonna kept researching ....

I hate AT&T...

Jim

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have a metal roof and my Verizon jet pack wifi works good for me. A friend of mine has ATT dsl and she says my Verizon is faster than her dsl. She also has been having problem after problem with it going down on her.
    She bought some land out in the sticks and was told they have internet service out there. Now she has the land and they are saying "oh no we don't have any providers out here". I had to hold back saying I TOLD YOU SO. AT&T told her the same thing where she is at now.
    If you hate AT&T you will pull your hair out with a satellite provider.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  9. havasu

havasu In the army now..

My Direct TV (only for my TV) went from $150 to $226 overnight. We negotiated with them for hours. I was told about a secret. Tell them you want to cancel the service. They will transfer you to that person who has the ability to do things that normal sales folks can't do. We got the price dropped from $ 226 down to $126, and only had to eliminate a few unused programs.

10. phideaux

Report...Final Results,

After 2 hrs on the phone with , 4 different people, mostly in foreign country, which I couldn't understand,

Finally got a lady in Atlanta, and told her to cancel my account,

She talked bundles and other things, but I stuck to my guns, and said no,
    just cancel me.

She put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back with $39.00/mo for 12 months.

I cried to her , but accepted her offer...its only a $2 increase.[​IMG]

Jim

11. gumpy

gumpy New Member

We got a letter from our carrier, local, that they were cutting service. So I'm looking too. My son-in--law used Hewes Net and it worked out here.

I hate AT&T also. Always have.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016