Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got sick Friday a week ago. Got pneumonia to go along with it. Been in the hospital going on 4 days now. Infection in my spine, can't walk. Pressure on my nerves and my legs are asleep.

I have disability insrance, I can file coming Friday. Probably start getting check in another couple of weeks.

What this means is I'm going to probably have to sell my GP100, SP101, and both of my Kahrs.

Going to depend on when I can walk and get back to work. Physical therapy starts today.

·
Registered
992 Posts
When I hear about this kind of thing happening, it makes me wish there was a dis-like button to click, because medical issues are such a burden on good people. Hang in there, I know it doesn't help your situation much but we'll all be pulling for you and hoping for the best possible outcome.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Greg. Hope you get better soon

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Sounds like when you do something you do it big time. A friend of mine was in a m/c accident and he told me the doctors said he might not walk again. I said what do you say about that? He didn't accept he might not walk again. He was on crutches in a couple months and he has been walking ever since. That was 40 years ago.
You have to think positive and throw out any negative thoughts. This to shall pass.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Greg,

Welcome to the bitter pill club. It seems that none of us can forever escape physical ailment. Having arthritis of the spine I know what spinal problems can result in. Your disability insurance is a great asset. You should be prepared in case your insurer decided to dump on you. They hate paying as much as they like collecting premiums. You might want to look for lawyervwho handles disabiltity claims just in case. That research could come in handy and it has no cost.

I spent two months in a Naval hospital as a result of a chest wound. Believe me I understand what being in hospital for more tha. A day means. Work at staying positive by looking at.videos that make you laugh beacuse laughter keeps depressions at bay. Finally, do not assume you have to sell off guns. Medial problems can get you a lot of slack in terms of meeting financial obligations.

Get well soon.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Therapist took me on a walk just now. She used a chest strap so she could help stabilize me. Stumbled a couple of times, but never hit the floor. Hard to walk when your feet feel like they have been shot full of novacane.

They did a MRI on my Back last night. They are going to do one on my head tonight.

Hard to believe you go from getting ready for the range to laid up in the hospital in 12 hours.

I hope to not sell anything, but I am wondering just how expensive this is going to be. I've got insurance, but its going to wipe out my passbook savings just paying deductibles and co-pays. I don't want to touch my retirement account. I just traded a bunch of not so good guns to get my much smaller Ruger collection. The 357's don't get shot much, and I have not carried a KAHR since I got my LCPII and my RAPc.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Dang Brother,
Hate to hear this has happened

Keep on trucking man, get well soon.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
They're going to MRI your head, eh? That happened to me about 4 years ago. They found nothing. Nothing. Hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They're going to MRI your head, eh? That happened to me about 4 years ago. They found nothing. Nothing. Hope you have better luck.
Its 9pm. I just woke up. Man, I feel good! My legs are not numb anymore, just my toes. I got out of the bed and walked s few steps to the chair. Not a problem except the nurse hollered at me threw the intercom and 2 more ran into the room. Bet I don't do that again!

Still waiting n the MRI on my head. I hope they don't find anything, I mean I hope they do, I mean....dang, how do you answer that?

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Hey Greg,

It is absolutely amazing what positive thought can do...
Try to keep your spirits up, you can beat this problem. We're pulling for you buddy.

Mag

:usa:

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Greg,

I ran into a similar problem about 7 years ago when I was in a car wreck. A guy broadsided my Model A and the door flew open and I partially fell out while it was running. My feet were tangled in the foot controls and my head and back were dragging on the ground. The medical bills started hitting me right away. The insurance settlement I got was spit!! I had medical bills coming out of my ying yang. I explained to them that I would pay what I could when I could. At one time I was sending them just $10.00 a month so they couldn't say I wasn't paying. Finally after a couple of years I got some money and paid them off. As long as you pay something, they have to accept. I wouldn't sell my guns nor drain your savings as you may have some other emergencies that arise. There is always sunshine on the horizon if you can just maintain your sense of humor and keep a positive attitude. Keep up the good fight and remember you have friends out here that care about you and your well being. With deep regards,

Tommy

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. Just worrying about my insurance. Due to the Affordable Health Care Act, AKA: Obamacare, our employer gave us a choice of increased premiums or increased deductable and co-pays. Cheap premiums won. I have a $7500 deductable and a $3500 copay. Before Obamacare, I would have been out of $3000 total.

Good news is they sent me home last night. I still need to have follow-up visits and will have to take medicine for a week or so to make sure the pneumonia does not come back.

And why could I not walk? Would you believe a vitamin B12 deficiency? Causes nerve damage. I still have some tingling in my toes, but I can walk now. And I got it because I was trying to be more healthy. I had started a modified vegan diet to lose weight. I still ate meat, but only on the weekend. As the doctor said, vegetables don't make B12, and as I stayed away from breads and such, which has B12 added, I just did not get enough. I have to take B12 injections now and it can be months before I get better.

Anyways, I'm home, I learned, and I will do better. Thanks for the support guys.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
When I was growing up, I never had my own dog buddy. One of my close friends did though. His dog buddy told him on several occasions that "You need food you can growl about."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts