S&W sw22 "Victory"

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Feb 25, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Man, I love it. That long barrel is sort of a spacey, Buick looking thing, and I love that too. The field strip must be a blessing, compared to the 22A-1 I had.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Wow! With that msrp, I just might have to pick one of those up.......

4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Just what I need, another 22 pistol!! No, seriously- I think I need that.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I sold the 22A-1 awhile back, and the Walther-Colt is at the LGS on consignment. That leaves the Single Six as my only .22 handgun... Hmm. I may have a need.

6. gumpy

gumpy New Member

What a concept! Price is not that bad either.

7. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^*you're right! Just wait till you get a few barrels and a red dot though! Then that turns into an expensive gun!

8. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Don't be silly, "parts" don't count when you spend money!!

9. phideaux

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Seen it on TV...Shooting USA had an hour long episode about the SHOT SHOW...where it was featured.

Like the concept...like the price !!

Gotta get one...

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Oh man like I need another 22lr! But I just might go for one. 36 oz. is fairly heavy but I bet makes it a great shooter. The adjustable three lb. trigger sounds really good also. I just sold my Match Champion.....oh oh. I really liked the Volquartsen long barrel. That barrel alone is MSRP $295 and may have a 2-3 week backlog. Of course adding on the red dot is more $$.
    Oh oh the search is on. Found this.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544262064
    I have my LGS checking price and availability on the standard base model.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>.
    My LGS gave me a price of $350+tax. I should have it possibly next Tuesday.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

In today's mail: a notice that my quarterly property tax payment is overdue. I guess thet thar gun will have to wait.

13. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Those darn revenuers!

14. buster40c

I got my red dot scope mounted on my SW 22 and shot it today to set up the scope, I was using the cross hair image in red and also used the green. I was looking into the sun and was wearing sunglasses. I had no problem seeing the image on the target. The scope setting was way off shooting 4" low and to the left. I adjusted the settings and they stayed where I set them. I never really liked the looks of scopes on handguns, it just didn't look right. I have to say I do really like how quick it is to get on target and pull the trigger. From nine yards I was keeping about a 3" or less pattern. I really need more time on trigger/gun control. I have had a fail to eject and 2 fail to feed which I blame on the loose barrel the first time shooting this gun. This time out I had no feed/eject problems but I didn't let the barrel get as loose as the first time shooting either.
    I shot about 250 rounds I guess. I kept checking the barrel for coming lose and twice around 125 rounds the barrel was beginning to loosen. Twice I had to tighten the screw holding the barrel tight. This is basically the only thing I don't like about this gun. I will always need to have the hex L key/tool with me. Cleaning could not be any easier because of that one screw holding it all together.
    Comparing the MKll to this SW22 is kind of a close call with the MKll maybe a tad higher on the todem pole. SW22 is easier to clean but then again the barrel wants to come loose. Of course we all know what PITA the MKll is to take down, but it doesn't come loose either. I think many owners of the SW22 are not going to like the barrel coming loose problem. I actually think the total take down is not necessary on the MKll anyway so that becomes a small negative. I figure the total take down parts really don't catch much dirt anyway. Just open the slide and spray down that area and clean the barrel. The gun is basically IMO clean enough to be stored without a problem. That's basically all the field strip cleaning involves on the SW22 anyway since the grip frame parts are not taken apart for cleaning.
    Dropping the SW magazine is better than on the MKll. The SW just pops out with a touch of the nag release rather than pulling back on the MKll mag release.
    I think some will like the SW22 and others will not. Because of the loose barrel I am not thrilled with this gun. If it wasn't for that problem then I would give it a buy it recommendation. I wonder if S&W will do something about this problem which many are having?
    It might be interesting to check out the Buckmark. I have heard many say it is better than the MKll but I have never had one to compare it with.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

What is the nature of the set screw? Can it be replaced by two shorter screws?

16. buster40c

There is only one screw attaching the barrel to the frame. The barrel has the one threaded insert made into it which the screw threads into from the frame. I have heard some saying the blue locktight the threads and even that sometimes didn't work. Some are saying oil the threads only while others say keep the thread dry. I am just wondering how long till the threaded insert threads start to wear out or the screw threads fail? I really did a good crank on the screw and it still came loose twice. IMO this is a poor design flaw by S&W.
    I have thought about drilling through the frame and the screw head so I could insert a pin to hold it from turning back out. But the screw head is really small.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The screw's function being to pull the barrel against the receiver surface and hold it there? If so, the 'fix' may be as simple as a star washer under the head of the screw.

18. phideaux

All steel expands and contracts from cold to hot to cold.

The lock washer may help.

Jim

19. buster40c

I thought of the star washer also. I think the metal affected by the hot and cold probably is the reason it happens after 100 rounds heating the barrel up. I am going to have to see if I have a star washer. Thanks to you both.

20. mark

mark Member

I was at a S&W days a couple of weeks ago. Victory looks good, but its not a Ruger MK. I picked one up when a guy was done shooting it, and wiggled the loose barrel around. Guy from S&W picked up his handy allen wrench and tightened the screw holding it together. I have a lot of Smiths, but that one didn't jump out at me. Browning Buck Marks use a screw to hold their barrels on to the frame, but they have a way better plan.
    Just me..