Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spent las weekend at an area gunshow. Got stuck at a table way in the back, so not much good stuff was going by at a good price. Everyihing good and cheap was getting bought up at the front door. Well, I had to make the best of it. Did snag a few guns and unloaded a few Wally World guns and fixer uppers so I had plenty to spend. Crtowd was kinda thin. Guess the gun shortage and ammo scare is over.

The old S&W was one of 3 guns I got off 2 guys. they had. I concentrated on the 2 handguns and passed the Mossy 500. They wanted 285 for the S&W and a really nice RG-66 single action in .22 cal. It was nickled and in near new shape, little wear. I really wanted the old S&W, but had to buy both to get the deal done. Figured I could turn the six shooter puickly to recover most of my $. Guy settled for 240 for both. Passed the Mossy for a bill. It was nice, but had the older fugly poly choke and missing a front sight. the .22 six shooter went Suday for 2 bills. So that left me intothe S&W for just 40 bucks.

I pretty much figured the S&W was a pre WWII Hand Ejector and it was. Gun was solid and tight, just finish worn and came with a set of fugly grips off a model 19 magnum. Blue was thin and light surface rust in places. That would come off quick with a degrease polish and cold blue to even it all out. Already had a set of used Pachy Grippers for it in my bag. The old guns have a longer DA than the newer ones, but it is really smooooth. It has a higher hammer spur on the hammer. It has the upper side plate screw which was later eliminated and a screw in front of the trigger guard for the cylinder bolt spring, which was later eliminated. Front sight is thicker than the 1899 models, but thinner than the Mod 10s. It is also rounded with no ramp and serrations on it like the model 10s. End of ejector rod has a slightly larger end with a corresponding notch in the barrel. This was also changed. Those ar the most obvious changes.

Finally got around to checking the serial # of 169,XXX which put it in the Model of 1905, 3rd change. Third change started in 1909 at serial # 146,900 or so. Ended in 1915 at just over 241,000 when the 4 change was made. It remained much the same until 1940 when production went to the Victory Models and after the war to the Model 10. So I figure manufacture date @ 1910 plus or minus. Total production of that serial # range was 94,000 units during that 6 year period.

Ran a few of my home cast wad cutter bullet handloads through it. Great bore and cylinders inisde. SA at 10 yds. printed @ 2 inches below POA, which coudl be corrected by trimming the fornt sight a bit. But I don't want to modify it any. It will still hold it's own with a new model 10 I recently got that is @ 70+ years newer.

Hear is a pic before the clean up and touch up. Lower is the old Hand Ejector. Upper is the newer Model 10. Both .38 spl.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Way to go Pancho,
good swapping.
$40.. thats unbelievable.
As ususl you did good.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Fidough,

Here is a pic of the old S&W with a face lift. Much darker finish and more even. Now it shoot and looks good too. Gotta find them original grips now.

It's little buddy is next to it, an RG-14 in .22 LR cal. Got this one off a guy that was leaving the show when we were getting ready to leave. He was trying to sell us an old pump shotgunfor 4 bills. Not reality. Asked if he had anything for less.. He took us out tothe parking lot and I got this off him for 35 bucks. Almost what I paid for the S&W.:D

It's a 6 shot, DA/SA revo from way back. Had one in my early years of shooting. It fires every time. Shoots a bit high, but it ain't no target pistol. Just a Pocket Rocket. No worse that a NAA mini revolver in .22 cal.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey Pancho,

Looks 100% better,

Now ,when you go back to a show, you sell it, and have a pocket full of profit to spend on another.

OR, just keep it as an addition to the arsenal.

Me..... I couldnt turn loose.:)

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I will be keeping this one. The old S&W and Colt guns in good shape are getting harder to find. Well, cheap anyeay. You can find them. Ya just have to pay out the azz for them. And if ya want one of the S&W Classics with all the exta fit and finish, ya have to pay out the azz for those too. Anyway there are plenty of plastic guns out there to turn.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts