Ruger Talk Forums banner

Rust or copper fouling?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Magnum.357 
#1 ·
I picked up a GP100 about a month or so ago. I’ve noticed a lot of what appears to be heavy copper fouling just past the forcing cone, and there’s a spot inside the bore that is stubborn as heck. I’m wondering if the spot in the bore isn’t rust (although I doubt it is). The cylinder chambers had a good amount of copper fouling in them as well which seemed to respond well to boretech copper solvent and some elbow grease. I’m wondering if this gun wasn’t fired a bit at the gun shop that it came from. It was a gun broker purchase so not a local shop. I’ve attached some pictures and would appreciate any and every input I can get on this. It’s driving me nuts, but I’m not sure if I should even let it get to me or not. The gun does its job and shoots great and accurately. It’s become my new EDC. I just have a pet peeve for keeping my weapons squeaky clean.

See less See more
#2 ·
I’m wondering if the spot in the bore isn’t rust (although I doubt it is)
If it is rust you're seeing shooting it would blow the rust color out. It's pretty much got to be jacket fouling.
Don't think I've ever cleaned one of mine well enough so I can see the jacket fouling in the forcing cone like that.

BTW. New guns are proof fired at the factory. I have yet to see one that was cleaned before it was sent out.

Mag

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The more I mess around with it the more it seems to indeed be fouling. I have read on a few forums that Ruger is known for test firing their guns with pretty dirty ammo at the factory. I believe I’ll just shoot it and enjoy it rather than sit around and worry about the stubborn fouling. Like they say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The gun shoots just fine and is very accurate for a snub nose. Thanks again for the feedback!

#4 ·
SixGunner
I've had the same as you with lead and copper fouling in the barrel of my GP-100
I used Hoppes #9 with a mop. Allow the solvent to sit for several minutes in the barrel.
Then use an over sized brass bore brush, such as one for a .40 cal. The one I use is for a .45 cal.
You can use a brass kitchen scrubber, the green fiber kitchen scrubbers work to a point but not as good as a brass scrubber. Make sure the brass scrubber is real brass NOT stainless steel with brass coating.

You can also use a brass lead remover from Brownells for the correct caliber. They work well. If you can't find one just get the screens they'll work with out the kit, use your own from your cleaning kit.

BROWNELLS - LEWIS LEAD REMOVER
RIFLE LEWIS LEAD REMOVER KIT 30/32 CAL

I know the post is old. I hope it helps someone with the same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.