Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my Lc9s today. It was my only Ruger. Only gun I have now is my M&P 22 Compact. Won't be replacing or sub stunting for the 9mm because of near future plans. Some will recall that my goal of going on multi hundred mile trek across country last fall was ended when I broke a bone in my foot and had to have a screw put in it ,followed by months of recovery to prior condition.

Well I am about a month from being ready to go. I expect to set out in early September. I have decided to carry only my 22 with 100 rounds of CCI Velocitor and a couple cans of bear spray.

So I am Rugerless for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
992 Posts
That kind of sucks, but there will always be another Ruger waiting when you finish your dream trip. Enjoy it, good luck and stay safe out there!

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Hey allenr,

I think you told us where you'll be trekking but I've forgotten.
If you'd like, you could tell us about it.

Happy Trails,
Mag

:usa:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey allenr,

I think you told us where you'll be trekking but I've forgotten.
If you'd like, you could tell us about it.

Happy Trails,
Mag
:usa:
Mag,

My course is across southern PA starting five miles west of the Delaware River. Crossing into West Virginia and then into Kentucky. Across KY to Missouri and then a straight path through Kansas and Colorado where I move into northern Arizona and then working my way down to Tucson.

The route was determined by state's that have reciprocity with PA so my CCW permit will be honored wherever I am. Would have gone a bit differently but reciprocity made a couple states off limits.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Stay safe on your trip and may it be the adventure that you are looking for. Stay hydrated, prepare for the worse and may angels guide you on your journey. Have a good trip my friend!!!!

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
You have a great adventure ahead of you.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stay safe on your trip and may it be the adventure that you are looking for. Stay hydrated, prepare for the worse and may angels guide you on your journey. Have a good trip my friend!!!!

Tommy
Thanks to all for the good wishes.

Tommy, if My calculations are correct I will be able to cover the 2300 miles in 6 to 7 months (assuming I live). That would put me in AZ sometime in March. Chill the Diet Coke..

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I do believe after walking even half a day I would be catching the nearest Greyhound bus. I would get out at every bus stop and kick a stone around then get back on the bus.

Kudos to you allenr!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Are you sure you only want a .22?

Good luck Marine and Semper Fi!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Are you sure you only want a .22?

Good luck Marine and Semper Fi!
Thanks for the good wishes. After much thought I decided on the 22 because I can carry 150 rounds of CCI Velocitor easily and the M&P 22 Compact weighs only 17 oz. I will not be hiking through bear or mountain lion areas, but I will have bear spray with me just in case. I am more likely to have to shoot a snake, rabbis racoon, fox, or other four legged creature. I feel secure that the 22LR can deliver in such a case. If the horror of an attack by two legged creature(s) I know that due to its low recoil and high accuracy and my marksmanship skills I can put 3 to 5 Velocitor 40 grain HP bullets into a three inch circle (center mass).

I am much faster and more accurate with my 22 than I was with my Lc9s. The minimal recoil and the time to recover to a second trigger pull was compelling. I also spent many hours researching 22 LR lethality. With a HP like a Velocitor it is a real killer. The Velocitor does not mushroom like a traditional HP. When it hits the front flattens out and increases diameter but unlike a traditional HP it does not lessen penetration. Tested against CCI Mini Mag HP which mushrooms and has a 36 grain bullet the Mini Mag penetrated 9.3 inches in gel. The 40 grain Velocitor expanded and penetrated 15.3 inches in gel. The Velocitor has 15% greater velocity than the Mini Mag and that is important to lethality of the round.

In the CCI catalog there is a photo of the fully expanded Velocitor. Click link below

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I was wondering allen are you going to live off the land pretty much? Is most of your eating going to be what you forage and shoot/trap? I am guessing you can't carry many days supplies of water and food. Even then days go by pretty quick. Are you carrying a pop up tent for sleeping in the wild?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buster, I’ll try to answer succinctly and informatively.

Housing: Outdoor Research Bug Bivvy, under a Teton Sports Poncho/Tarp/Shelter
The tarp fits in designated pocket of backpack (Teton Sports 2800) and covers the pack and wearer in event of rain. Bivvy in stuff sack attached to pack. No sleep bag or pad.

Warmth: lightweight thermal blanket. One wicking long underwear set (upper & lower), polartech hat and gloves. Wool socks.

Daily wear: one on and one in bag: two sets all wicking long trousers with cargo pockets. Two short sleeve colored shirts with back and underarm vents. Two wicking briefs. 4 pair padded sole wool socks. 4 bandanas. No shorts or tee shirts.

Footwear: one pair Timberland just above ankle leather boondockers. One pair of flip flops or campsite use. Leather boots are better protection from snake bite. Most likely snake to encounter is a copperhead, that like tall grass. 2 to 3 feet long strikes low, and leather can stop penetration. Also a tin of mink oil shoe wax to keep boots waterproofed. Three pairs laces.

First aid: supplies range from a bandaid for cut to stitching a gash.

Food: dehydrated veggies (1 lb hydrates to 6lbs), pouches of tuna, oatmeal, bit of sugar, pepper and salt. Dehydrated Chicken broth. Powdered milk. Stop periodically to get a meal resupply at market, get one fresh food for near immediate consumption.

Food off the land: detours to get freaks he fruit trees, wild berries and some edible plants. Protein from fresh caught fish. Maybe hunted squirrel, rabbit. Trapped snake. Hunting and fishing rules can be a problem unless deep enough in the bush to get away with it.

Trapping a great meal: snare trap a squirrel. Keep it alive, tethered, and squeezing. A snake will come. Kill the snake and eat it, and let the squirrel go.

Navigation: iPhone 5s with solar charger for web, cell, and gps use. Loaded with reciprocity app and GIAI maps and Spyglass navigation tool. Old fashioned compass too.

I expect to keep the load between 40 to 45 pounds on back and belt.

So that is basic, and there are things included that I did not mention.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Sounds like you have it fairly well planned out. I think you might find a few things much different than you counted on but I guess you figured there would be surprises as to what you may not be allowed to do. You have one big adventure ahead of you and there is no doubt you will be able to handle whatever comes your way.
I am sure I am not alone in hoping you keep us informed along your journey.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buster, I know I will have to do unpermitted things on the trek. I have to be careful. For example in PA one has to have a special license to harvest a snake, and one per year is the limit. Fishing without a license will be a risk.

Forgot to mention in previous post that water supply is two 24 ounce water bottles for clean water, and one collapsible water container for dirt water. My Sawyer water filter, good for over 50,000 gallons will be used to filter all water taken before it gets into the clean bottles.

In a pinch filter water through a bandana and boil it for 5 minutes. Taste bad but Ok to drink.

I will update progress here as I manage to get into a wifi equipped place, perhaps every 2 weeks. Maybe longer. Enjoy this site and do not want to lose contact.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
If you need anything once around Tucson, Az let me know. More than happy to come help. Ph 520-981-9320.:cool:

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
If you get into problems around the Mesa area, don't be afraid to call. You have my phone number and addy. I can get you down to Handy's place in Tucson. It's only about a 2 hour drive. Give you a chance to rest and get off your feet. I'm sure Handy will welcome you with open arms so we can get you to your destination.

Tommy

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you get into problems around the Mesa area, don't be afraid to call. You have my phone number and addy. I can get you down to Handy's place in Tucson. It's only about a 2 hour drive. Give you a chance to rest and get off your feet. I'm sure Handy will welcome you with open arms so we can get you to your destination.

Tommy
Thanks Tommy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts