Ruger Super Redhawk in 10mm, jamming problems

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by dick19114u, Aug 14, 2020.

1. dick19114u

dick19114u New Member

Hi Folks, just bought a new Super Redhawk in 10mm. I took it out to the range and, in single action mode, many times, as I was beginning to cock the hammer, it would jam about halfway. Shooting about 24 rounds, it happened about 6 times. I've read that S & W had a similar problem with their model 610, and the problem was the moon clips.
    Can anyone enlighten me about this problem?

2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

I know next to nothing about revolvers but I was at the range the other day and the guy next to me was having trouble with his new SP101 .357 mag. After my brother and I looked at it there was no clearance between the cylinder and the barrel. So I will tell you’re what I told him call Ruger. They have great customer service. No matter what the problem Ruger will make it right.

3. Joe Benedetto

Joe Benedetto New Member

Try different ammo. Some expands more than others.

4. Mrkson

Mrkson New Member

I wish you the best and ask that you keep us aware of your conversation(s) with Ruger and your progress. I'm very much interested in a Super Redhawk myself at this time. Good Luck!

5. Mrkson

Mrkson New Member

I wish you the best and ask that you keep us aware of your conversation(s) with Ruger and your progress. I'm very much interested in a Super Redhawk myself at this time. Good Luck!

6. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Dick191144u, I had a similar problem with my GP-100 chamber for .357 magnum. It would only happen every now & then and was told to keep shooting it and it will eventually smooth out.

I once saw a U-tube video of someone working on their trigger for a GP-100. So I ventured into tackling the issue myself and discovered some parts with rough edges and burrs, less than paper thin slivers. I removed the slivers and took a 4000 grit sand paper with oil and cleaned up the trigger parts. I can say it worked out well and its a smooth trigger with no hesitation, jam or lock up.

If you decide to work on it yourself, go the further mile and get the shims for the dog, trigger and hammer, you'll be pleased you did. You can get the shims and springs from, www.jackweigand.com.

I hope this is helpful and let all of us Ruger Brothers know what you decided and how it all worked out for you.

7. JeffB

JeffB New Member

dick19114u: I have a brand new Blackhawk, and it just began doing the exact same thing when thumbing back the hammer. Anytime something goes south, I try recreate whatever I was most recently doing before. 2 things for me: I had removed the grips, and removed the cylinder for cleaning.

I went back and checked the grips and hammer spring. All looked good, but it was still binding with grips off. Replaced the grips. Then I again removed the cylinder and reinstalled. Problem fixed. I realize your double action probably didn't have the cylinder R&R'd. But maybe retrace your actions *just before* the action began to bind up. Was anything disassembled? anything unusual when dumping empties? Ejector star operating normally?

Clearly I'm no gunsmith, so take it with massive grains of salt. Good luck troubleshooting (no pun intended).

-jb