Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have a Marlin 1894 S 44mag to hunt with the next deer hunting season, I figured a 44mag handgun to go with it would be nice.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILL3CB7JEiA"]Ruger Super Blackhawk[/ame]

I've got to get used to shooting it, get a better stance and not anticipate recoil; but I think I'll get the hang of it soon enough. That kicked harder than the 45colt derringer, I didn't expect that.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Great looking wheel guns....

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I like my SBH, I have hunted with it , I have been hunting with a handgun only for the last few years,
Ive not got a deer yet , (aint seen one) but I keep going.
I figger anybody can get em at 100, 200, 300 yrds with rifles, but I want one with a handgun.

The SBH will do its part.;)

Last year I hunted with a S&W XVR 460 magnum.:)

Now Im lookin at a .50 cal CVA muzzleloader pistol.:D:

Easier to pack around too.:cool:

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have the sbh. ive hunted with it twice and didnt get a deer with it. i shoot it alot at the gun range.i allso hunt with the scout 50 cal. black powder pistol. that is a blast to shoot

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like my SBH, I have hunted with it , I have been hunting with a handgun only for the last few years,
Ive not got a deer yet , (aint seen one) but I keep going.
I figger anybody can get em at 100, 200, 300 yrds with rifles, but I want one with a handgun.

The SBH will do its part.;)

Last year I hunted with a S&W XVR 460 magnum.:)

Now Im lookin at a .50 cal CVA muzzleloader pistol.:D:

Easier to pack around too.:cool:

Jim
I've harvested a deer with my 357, hopefully I'll be able to shoot this just as well when the time comes. The round I'll be using shoots 400fps faster.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
This is my Super Blackhawk that I call "Cowboy Gun", The grips are from the Ruger shop......Fun gun to shoot...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I deer hunted with a magnaported 10 1/2" New Model Super Blackhawk with scope for years and got several deer with it out to 80 yards. Most of my deer have fallen to handguns. I've only shot a few with my muzzle loader and 44 magnum T/C Contender or a bow. Now I'm planning on getting my Desert Eagle ready. I love handgun hunting,even for squirrels :D.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too have the Marlin 1894 and a 3-screw SBH. I use the rifle for Cowboy Action Shooting and the SBH for hunting. Only been using it for a couple of years and also have not gotten a deer yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like them quite a bit. My hands don't fit the stock grips and every now and then the trigger guard would reach back and bite me. They do look pretty good.
The new grips I got seem to make for a better griping surface, and the gun moves less during recoil.

My hands aren't so large, so I have to change my grip a bit to reach the hammer; but that is a minor inconvenience.

This is my Super Blackhawk that I call "Cowboy Gun", The grips are from the Ruger shop......Fun gun to shoot...
Those are nice looking grips!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I deer hunted with a magnaported 10 1/2" New Model Super Blackhawk with scope for years and got several deer with it out to 80 yards. Most of my deer have fallen to handguns. I've only shot a few with my muzzle loader and 44 magnum T/C Contender or a bow. Now I'm planning on getting my Desert Eagle ready. I love handgun hunting,even for squirrels :D.
I also use my 686 for groundhogs and such, but I usually don't hunt with it for anything but deer.
Desert Eagle would be a hoot to hunt with! Good luck!

I too have the Marlin 1894 and a 3-screw SBH. I use the rifle for Cowboy Action Shooting and the SBH for hunting. Only been using it for a couple of years and also have not gotten a deer yet.
Hopefully one or both of the 44s will get a deer this upcoming season, I am trying to get someone to use one or the other over their smooth bore shotguns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.