Ruger Super Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Win94ae, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

Since I have a Marlin 1894 S 44mag to hunt with the next deer hunting season, I figured a 44mag handgun to go with it would be nice.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILL3CB7JEiA"]Ruger Super Blackhawk[/ame]

I've got to get used to shooting it, get a better stance and not anticipate recoil; but I think I'll get the hang of it soon enough. That kicked harder than the 45colt derringer, I didn't expect that.

2. 00b5

00b5 Member

It does kick a little.

Attached Files:

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Great looking wheel guns....

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I like my SBH, I have hunted with it , I have been hunting with a handgun only for the last few years,
    Ive not got a deer yet , (aint seen one) but I keep going.
    I figger anybody can get em at 100, 200, 300 yrds with rifles, but I want one with a handgun.

The SBH will do its part.;)

Last year I hunted with a S&W XVR 460 magnum.:)

Now Im lookin at a .50 cal CVA muzzleloader pistol.:D:

Easier to pack around too.:cool:

Jim

5. softpoint

softpoint New Member

i have the sbh. ive hunted with it twice and didnt get a deer with it. i shoot it alot at the gun range.i allso hunt with the scout 50 cal. black powder pistol. that is a blast to shoot

6. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

Nice!

How do you like those grips, I have Hogue grips coming with the same shape.

7. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

I've harvested a deer with my 357, hopefully I'll be able to shoot this just as well when the time comes. The round I'll be using shoots 400fps faster.

8. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

Here in Ohio, we're not allowed to use muzzleloading pistols, but have taken a deer with a 50cal muzzloader rifle.

9. 00b5

00b5 Member

I like them quite a bit. My hands don't fit the stock grips and every now and then the trigger guard would reach back and bite me. They do look pretty good.

10. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

This is my Super Blackhawk that I call "Cowboy Gun", The grips are from the Ruger shop......Fun gun to shoot...

Attached Files:

11. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I deer hunted with a magnaported 10 1/2" New Model Super Blackhawk with scope for years and got several deer with it out to 80 yards. Most of my deer have fallen to handguns. I've only shot a few with my muzzle loader and 44 magnum T/C Contender or a bow. Now I'm planning on getting my Desert Eagle ready. I love handgun hunting,even for squirrels :D.

12. DDubya

DDubya Member

I too have the Marlin 1894 and a 3-screw SBH. I use the rifle for Cowboy Action Shooting and the SBH for hunting. Only been using it for a couple of years and also have not gotten a deer yet.

13. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

The new grips I got seem to make for a better griping surface, and the gun moves less during recoil.

My hands aren't so large, so I have to change my grip a bit to reach the hammer; but that is a minor inconvenience.

Those are nice looking grips!

14. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

I also use my 686 for groundhogs and such, but I usually don't hunt with it for anything but deer.
    Desert Eagle would be a hoot to hunt with! Good luck!

Hopefully one or both of the 44s will get a deer this upcoming season, I am trying to get someone to use one or the other over their smooth bore shotguns.