Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there own any of these and which one handles the recoil of the 44 mag best or if they all handle it the same
Also on the standard blued model
Does the squared off on the back trigger guard pose any problems like cutting your finger on recoil? {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
}

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
That trigger gaurd can smack a knuckle, until you learn how to grasp the gun without a "death grip" and just allow it to rise and roll.

Deadly accurate shooter, and tons of fun.
Lots of recoil ? Yep.

Heres my SBH .44 mag. mfg 1980.

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool!
Thanks for the info
My LGS has one they want to sell me
I'm thinking of taking them up on the offer I want a 44 mag pistol rifle combo for obvious reasons
Cowboy at heart
I like the fact that the squared back trigger guard is original to the time period but I like my knuckle too

Jeremy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Yep, here is my Rossi .44 mag.
I take both hunting in Nov.

Everybody should have a .44 mag SBH. :D

If the price is right, go for it, you will not regret it.

Dont worry about the knuckle, practice with some .44 special to get a good feel, then try some magnums.

You will get your knuckle smacked, but you will figure out the grasp.
Like I said , that grip on these guns is made to roll up in your palm.

Jim

·
Registered
547 Posts
Been shooting one since 78 & never been hurt, using stand style grips and fairly hot loads 24 gr of 2400 under 240 grain in my gun the best group, also in my marlin 94

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome
I think I've decided to go ahead and put the Dragoon style Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag in layaway at my LGS next week if it's still there
They act like they want to sell it to me

·
Registered
3 Posts
5 1/2" SBC Grips

When you put the right grips on a SBH it makes all the differance in the world. These are Pachmayr Decelerators, and for me they work great. By the way, I just listed this SBH on the for sale section of this forum. My fingers are just not long enough to shoot full loads with the original grips without getting clobbered. I also have the same grips on my S&W Mountain Gun in 44 Mag.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Recoil can be somewhat controlled by changing the grip on your pistol. I have had several Ruger Blackhawks and Super Red Hawks and they are fun to shoot once you overcome the recoil. At one time I use Pachmayr grips and then also tried some Hogue grips and they help a lot. If you have a tendency to grip the pistol too tight, you will exacerbate the recoil or if you are anticipating the recoil that can also be detrimental. Firmly, and I mean firmly grip the pistol and let your arms roll with the recoil. If you grab it and try to fist fight it, it can overwhelm you. I have long fingers so I had to go to a bigger grip and learn how to gain the proper grip and then the recoil became secondary. You can work it out with practice and start out with lighter loads to begin with, then after you are comfortable, then go to the larger loads. It takes patience and I know the old saying: God grant me patience and give it to me now!!. Good luck and you will figure it out.
Tommy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts