Ruger SR9c

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Lucian_253, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

I really want a SR9c, but won't carry a pistol that has an external safety as my EDC. Is there a model without external safety? Or a way to disable the external safety? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

2. hawkinsje

hawkinsje New Member

The safety is made in such a way that it would be pretty hard to engage it by accident.

Sent from my C5155 using Ruger Forum mobile app

3. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

Anyone carry the SR9 with the safety disengaged as their EDC.

4. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

I carry my 40c with the safety functional but off. I shoot IDPA with a full size 40 and 40c and never engage the safety. Have never had an issue of ever engaging on accident.

5. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Would also say that disabling any safety devices on your carry gun is not smart. If you ever have to use it in a defense situation you will be explaining why you felt the need to disable to the justice system, criminal and civil. It's adding tons of exposure, and not recommended by any of the lead self defense instructors at all.

From looking at mine it does look like it would be easily removed. Appears the firearm would still be functional too. Again it's not recommended at all.

I have removed the mag disconnect safety in my full size. It is my competition gun, not my EDC. It stays locked up when not competing or practicing.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

So the SR9c is not for me then. I usually carry Glock or M&P as my EDC, and my LCR as my BUG when my Wife isn't carrying it. I really should buy the .357 LCR. Great 5 shot revolver.

7. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Yeah if you are adamant about not having a safety on a carry gun, stick with the glocks. It's much better to get one designed without one then to remove or disable one. You don't want to win the gunfight only to lose a court fight over something as silly as that.

The SRs are wonderful firearms but so are the Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs. tons of great options out there, just have to find the one that suits your needs best.

8. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

There are times when I am carrying that I feel apprehensive, I can (carry AIWB) discreetly push the safety to HOT without anyone noticing....most of the time I carry with safety on.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Ruger Forum mobile app

9. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

I shoot alot of local IDPA matches and always use the safety, just sweep it off on the drawstroke with the thumb...no problems over three years now, guess I'm just one of the weird ones that likes the idea of a safety on my guns. Not saying it's right or wrong...just my preference. I did take out the mag disconnect parts though.
    Gene

10. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

What in the devil is the issue here? The safety won't engage or disengage w/o positive action on your part. Don't like the safety, don't use it, issue is over. Don

11. TXRuger

TXRuger New Member

Yep, you don't like the manual safety, don't use it. [​IMG]

12. firefox

firefox New Member

I have carried my 40c both ways but opt towards not engaging the safety. I have never had issues with accidentally engaging the safety. I am a firm believer in practicing your draw in stressful situations.

13. realultpwr

realultpwr New Member

Was using the safety on my LC9 while in an uncle mikes cheapo IWB single clip holster but since I just got a cross breed mini tuck it is too difficult to knock the safety off while drawing so now it is holstered HOT, not a big deal, might even just pull the safety arm next disassemble

14. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

I have rather different holster system for my SR40C. It is the 3Speed Holster. I wear it as an appendix carry. I can get to the safety while holstered inside my shirt. This way if i feel the situation warrants, I have my safety already off before I need to access my firearm. I do not carry in condition #1. I have the gun loaded with bullet in chamber, but i always carry with safety on. It doesn't take much to sweep safety off. If manual safeties bother you I'd look into the M&P Compacts (Shields have safeties compacts don't) and i think the SA's don't have manual safeties.

15. realultpwr

realultpwr New Member

I checked out that 3 speed but I don't think I feel comfortable carrying in that position. Looks like a good holster tho

16. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

It's definitely not for everyone.

17. dwarren1952

dwarren1952 Grumpy Old Guy

The SR series of pistols were designed with the safety, I would not disable such on a carry gun. I do not care for external safety's myself but have found the SR safety to be a good design.

18. DrFootball

DrFootball Patriot

After 20 months of owning my SR9....

I had my first real serious issue today while shooting outdoors with my Better half. Gun fired about a half a mag. Then began jammin on the 2nd or 3rd rd. Every time. Changed mags and put 1 rd. In gun for Wife to try, misfire....:( took it down completely to clean again, and can find no problem. Anyone with thoughts on this? TIA....

19. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

Using a safety is only a matter of training! It is however your choice.

Just my 2 bits worth giver at no charge:D

20. jimmyp

jimmyp New Member

DrFootball, I had the exact problem with my SR40c. Nothing I did helped until I pulled out the magazine disconnect. Never had a problem since! It was causing just enough friction to cause a problem is what I was told by my smith.