Ruger SR45 -- Third Outing at the Range

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Redleg, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Took my new SR45 to its third outing at the range today. I was in the mood to shoot the heck out of it, so I set aside 200 rounds of range 45 ammo and a bunch of targets. The idea was to do something of a torture test of the gun by shooting up 200 rounds. (Admittedly not that much torture, but hey, this ammo is not cheap and I am cheap, grin).

Anyway, I am pleased to report that the gun could not have shot better. It fed 100%, shot great, and everything functioned the way it was supposed to. The bolt locked back after every magazine and the gun begged for more. :)

This is a very mannerly gun that I will trust to protect myself and my family, and be a faithful range gun as well. I have a passion for 1911s and always will, but I have to say that for the money you cannot get a better 45 than the SR45. For about 100 more you can get an RIA or Citadel 1911, and meaning no offense to those guns, but I would trust and take an SR45 over them any time.

Anyway, like many guns, I hear that the SR45 has had some "birthing pains" where guns had to be sent back to Ruger. It happens. Happened with my SR40c, which is now 100% reliable after I sent it back to Ruger. My particular SR45 however functioned 100% out of the box, so not all of them have had issues.
    [​IMG]

2. Patriot

Patriot New Member

Nice gun! Great to hear!

3. Pgattas13

Pgattas13 New Member

Congratulations, I have one also, and it functions beautifully! Best .45 I have shot aside from a few 1911's...actually better in some respects. I love the trigger though some people tend to hate it. Oh well, it's their loss. Keep enjoying it.

4. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Great report......that SR45 is one good looking gun.

5. passtime

passtime New Member

Great post. How do you like that Crimson Trace Railmaster? I have one on mine and I really like it. I have about 1000 rounds through my SR45 and it functions as smooth as silk. It really smoothed out after 500 rounds. I love it.

6. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I really like the Rail Master. The one on this gun (SR45) is the green laser variant, which as you can see is considerably larger than the red. I have the red on my SR40c by the way. Both work really well.

7. bls

bls New Member

Great to hear, I'm looking at the SR as my first 45 soon. I love my SR9, although I had to send it in to fix the slide stop spring but since I got it back the gun's been running great. How's the recoil on your beauty?

8. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Looked at the SR45s at the gunshow last weekend. Really looked hard at an SR22 also. Just couldn't bring myself to buy either. Got an old KP90 .45 that I never use and 3 Ruger MKIIs that don't get used much. I will have to talk myself into either or both sometime soon. Got a couple of used hunting rifles instead.

9. Redleg

Redleg New Member

The SR45 handles recoil really well. It is a pretty big gun, although pretty slim in terms of width (which gives the grip a nice feeling a little bit like a 1911). No issues with recoil. The SR design seems to handle recoil well for all the guns. My SR40c handles the 40S&W round's recoil very well.

10. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

When I tell people I prefer the SR40C over a Glock G27 period look at me weird. The ergonomics (wonder if Glock owners even know definition if that word?) Are better on the Ruger. The trigger better on the Ruger. Recoil I supposed is better, I hear all the time how Glocks beat up shooters hands. I am 63 and have some arthritis in right hand, the SR40C, I can shoot for hours. I feel I have good control on the .40s&w.

11. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Slamming Glocks by stating they're not ergonomic is beyond ridiculous. I can shoot my Glocks just as well as my Rugers. My Glocks don't beat up my hands either. I'm glad to hear you love your SR40C. But, putting down Glock owners as not knowing the definition of "ergonomics" is immature and inaccurate.

I own Rugers and Glocks. They're accurate and reliable. Don't knock other gun owners if you don't have the knowledge or skills to properly shoot a particular brand of handgun.

12. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

My SR45 is a great shooter. The gun surprised me as it was larger than I thought it would be. The double stack mag makes it wider and it is overall a hair wider than a 1911.

Accurate right out of the box and I've had no issues with 1K+ down range.

I like my 1911 better but that's just because I love 1911's. My SR45 has become my night stand home defense gun. It's physical size make it tough to carry concealed, but as home defense, hard to get anything better. I'm adding a Crimson Trace Laser-Light combo soon and then it will be perfect for the house.

I'll reserve comparison to a Glock.......;)

13. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I have nothing for or against Glocks. They are obviously very serviceable guns in wide and successful use. I do not like the lack of a slide safety on a Glock which is a deal breaker for me. I also do not personally care for the ergonomics and feel of a Glock.

Have to say that I have been completely satisfied with my SR pistols: two SR40cs and one SR45. They have been very reliable When I was at the CCW training course they put all of us through a lot of different kinds of shooting. My SRs never let me down one single time. There were numerous Glock shooters experiencing FTEs and whatnot. To be fair there were a lot of Glocks there and most did not have problems. But my SRs hung in their like champs. There were several shooters using LC9s who also had no problems. I am quite satisfied with these guns and my two SR40cs are my carry guns.

14. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I'm in agreement. I don't have anything against Glocks, but form the several I've fired at the range, I was never satisfied with the feel or accuracy. But that's just me and they are a very popular brand so to each his own.

I looked hard at a Glock vs my SR9C before I bought the Ruger. The Glock just didn't impress what I like in a carry gun.

My SiL prefers my SR9C over his Glock after shooting it at the range. He was quite impressed with the accuracy.

But who knows, maybe some Glocks are made by Taurus......:D;)

Sorry folks, couldn't resist.:cool:

15. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Glock is to reliability what Ruger is to recall. ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  16. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

great report, I think if I could stand the recoil, I'd be interested.

17. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Ahhhh, finally out of the closet are ya. We could all tell you were a Glock worshiper by the lack of ergonomics in your grip.:cheesy:

The upside of Glocks is you go through less targets for lack of holes in the middle......;)