Ruger sr22 pistol vs S&W 22a

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by uniongap, Jul 20, 2013.

1. uniongap

uniongap New Member

I have been wanting a 22 pistol for a while. I have looked and watched video's on both Ruger SR22a and the S&W 22a. I know this is a Ruger forum and I will get some bias opinions toward the SR 22. I hope someone here has both and will give me some feed back of their experience with them. I will tell you that I am leaning toward the SR 22, but I like the feature that the 22a has to mount optics on the top. Give me your honest opinions please.

2. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I just bought this one today and its my second one. I simply love this little feller, it's just like the Walther but little better and less on price. I have no issues with mine except the bulk cheap .22lr. It loves the cci mini mags and Winchester mags. It works flawless... I just paid $305 for this stainless model and my black one I gave $299 for. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374335906.437326.jpg

3. Blaze

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374339198.270313.jpg
    This is my Walther and my SR22 the SR is much better ... Ruger designed the SR from the Walther but the Walther is has less features for more money.

4. uniongap

uniongap New Member

After doing a little more research I think the solution is the Mark III target pistol with bull barrel and picatinnany rail 5.5 in. I have heard they are a bear to take apart and clean. That is why I was looking at the M&P to start with, as it is easier to clean.

5. Blaze

I hated cleaning my mark so I traded it off awhile back. U really need to check out the SR22

6. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

The Mark III 22/45 are awesome guns....I still have to watch the video on the Ruger site each time I break it down, lol. But I have to say there one of the best shooting 22's out there......

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

There are some people who like to clean their guns after every use. I am not one of them. But that does not keep me from owning several MKIIs. I will probably get an SR22 sometime in the future. A buddy got one and it works well and is nice to shoot. But I have been hooked on the Ruger Mark series since the mid 70s. I use to clean the first MKI I got pretty often. I had to learn the take down and had it down well. Just found out that it is not necessary to clean them that well every time. .

Most of the time I just lock the slide open if they start getting .22 bullet crud in the ejection port. I swap the port and bolt face out with bore cleaner on a Q-Tip. A little lube A few passes with a bore brush and a clean patch gets them going.

I only do the take down about once a year or two. Depends on how much they have been fired. When relatives come over., the Marks and the 10/22s always get a workout. And if they start acting up while shooting aot, I just do the quikie clean dnd get them back to the shooter.

This one gets used alot. Wife's favorite.

[​IMG]

A 5.5" Bull barrel Stainless. My favorite.
    [​IMG]

And a 6 7/8" Taper Bull Stainless. Kinda heavy, but shoots great.

[​IMG]

Ya may be able to get a used one, but can't be picky about barel length or finish. All of mine have been used. The stainless ones definitely show little or no wear. I picked up a couple of blue MKIs at gunshows that were LNIB in 2012. Got a blue target model for 2 bills and a standard for 175. Both worked great, but eventually got traded.

8. uniongap

uniongap New Member

Thanks Pancho, I beleive the 22-45 with bull barrel is the right one for me. Next thing is to drum up the money to buy. Adventure Outdoors in Atlanta has them for $329.

9. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

All of the MK series are outstanding handguns; accurate and reliable. Its just the reassembly after a field strip that drove me nuts.

10. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Nice looking lady. They definitely look sexy in silver.

For the record, it's a pseudo-stainless finish though. The slide is still aluminum just has a silver anodized finish instead of the black.

11. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Same as the 10/22 takedowns?

12. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

All the 10/22s have aluminum receivers, with the exception of the discontinued magnum chambered versions.

13. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I know, I meant...Do the SR22 'stainless' have the same finish as the 10/22 TD?

14. Blaze

The SR22 has same look as the Other SR models but not with a steel slide.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  15. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Yeah it's the same "as close as you can it to look like stainless" finish. A nice satin silver.

Main difference between the centerfire SRs and the 22 is the sides of the centerfire are polished to a nice shine.

16. Blaze

I SR22 silver shines pretty dang good for me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  17. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

I'm not saying it doesn't look good, wish this finish was in production back when I bought my SR22, would have got one.

18. Blaze

Or be like me and get it anyway lol. I have the last years model. But now the dang threaded barrel one came out the other day

19. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Like em all,
    but I only own this one of the three being discussed.

VERY easy to disassemble and clean, VERY accurate.

Runs perfectly every time out.

I have to admit ,I really would like to have that SR22 with threaded barrel and silver slide.
    If I come across one, Ill probably own one.

[​IMG]

Jim

20. Railbuggy

Railbuggy Oath Keeper

My brother bought the SR22 and put a can on it. About the same time I bought a new S&W 22A and a used MK2. Both have 5.5" barrels and cost around $300 each.

Attached Files: