Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a 22 pistol for a while. I have looked and watched video's on both Ruger SR22a and the S&W 22a. I know this is a Ruger forum and I will get some bias opinions toward the SR 22. I hope someone here has both and will give me some feed back of their experience with them. I will tell you that I am leaning toward the SR 22, but I like the feature that the 22a has to mount optics on the top. Give me your honest opinions please.

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
I just bought this one today and its my second one. I simply love this little feller, it's just like the Walther but little better and less on price. I have no issues with mine except the bulk cheap .22lr. It loves the cci mini mags and Winchester mags. It works flawless... I just paid $305 for this stainless model and my black one I gave $299 for. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374335906.437326.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing a little more research I think the solution is the Mark III target pistol with bull barrel and picatinnany rail 5.5 in. I have heard they are a bear to take apart and clean. That is why I was looking at the M&P to start with, as it is easier to clean.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
The Mark III 22/45 are awesome guns....I still have to watch the video on the Ruger site each time I break it down, lol. But I have to say there one of the best shooting 22's out there......

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
After doing a little more research I think the solution is the Mark III target pistol with bull barrel and picatinnany rail 5.5 in. I have heard they are a bear to take apart and clean. That is why I was looking at the M&P to start with, as it is easier to clean.
There are some people who like to clean their guns after every use. I am not one of them. But that does not keep me from owning several MKIIs. I will probably get an SR22 sometime in the future. A buddy got one and it works well and is nice to shoot. But I have been hooked on the Ruger Mark series since the mid 70s. I use to clean the first MKI I got pretty often. I had to learn the take down and had it down well. Just found out that it is not necessary to clean them that well every time. .

Most of the time I just lock the slide open if they start getting .22 bullet crud in the ejection port. I swap the port and bolt face out with bore cleaner on a Q-Tip. A little lube A few passes with a bore brush and a clean patch gets them going.

I only do the take down about once a year or two. Depends on how much they have been fired. When relatives come over., the Marks and the 10/22s always get a workout. And if they start acting up while shooting aot, I just do the quikie clean dnd get them back to the shooter.

This one gets used alot. Wife's favorite.

A 5.5" Bull barrel Stainless. My favorite.

And a 6 7/8" Taper Bull Stainless. Kinda heavy, but shoots great.

Ya may be able to get a used one, but can't be picky about barel length or finish. All of mine have been used. The stainless ones definitely show little or no wear. I picked up a couple of blue MKIs at gunshows that were LNIB in 2012. Got a blue target model for 2 bills and a standard for 175. Both worked great, but eventually got traded.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pancho, I beleive the 22-45 with bull barrel is the right one for me. Next thing is to drum up the money to buy. Adventure Outdoors in Atlanta has them for $329.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
All of the MK series are outstanding handguns; accurate and reliable. Its just the reassembly after a field strip that drove me nuts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just bought this one today and its my second one. I simply love this little feller, it's just like the Walther but little better and less on price. I have no issues with mine except the bulk cheap .22lr. It loves the cci mini mags and Winchester mags. It works flawless... I just paid $305 for this stainless model and my black one I gave $299 for. View attachment 1910
Nice looking lady. They definitely look sexy in silver.

For the record, it's a pseudo-stainless finish though. The slide is still aluminum just has a silver anodized finish instead of the black.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
For the record, it's a pseudo-stainless finish though. The slide is still aluminum just has a silver anodized finish instead of the black.
Same as the 10/22 takedowns?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
All the 10/22s have aluminum receivers, with the exception of the discontinued magnum chambered versions.
I know, I meant...Do the SR22 'stainless' have the same finish as the 10/22 TD?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah it's the same "as close as you can it to look like stainless" finish. A nice satin silver.

Main difference between the centerfire SRs and the 22 is the sides of the centerfire are polished to a nice shine.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm not saying it doesn't look good, wish this finish was in production back when I bought my SR22, would have got one.

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
Or be like me and get it anyway lol. I have the last years model. But now the dang threaded barrel one came out the other day

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Like em all,
but I only own this one of the three being discussed.

VERY easy to disassemble and clean, VERY accurate.

Runs perfectly every time out.

I have to admit ,I really would like to have that SR22 with threaded barrel and silver slide.
If I come across one, Ill probably own one.

Jim

·
Oath Keeper
77 Posts
My brother bought the SR22 and put a can on it. About the same time I bought a new S&W 22A and a used MK2. Both have 5.5" barrels and cost around $300 each.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts