Ruger SR1911 Commander

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Finally found a SR1911 commander after waiting forever to get one. It is not the lightweight version, steel frame and slide assembly. The trigger is just a hair different than my full size 1911 and seems to have a little bit of creep prior to firing (dry firing only so far). The feel is much different than the full sized 1911 which really surprised me. It's very comfortable and I put a set of Pachmayr grips on it. Reason for not wanting a lightweight is: in the 1980's Colt tried that with the 1911,s and the slide would wear. I do think with the metallurgy that we have now that might not be a problem, however I am of the old school thinking therefore justifying the steel on steel. Can't go to the range this Sunday as usual however I will try it out next week and give some feedback. Any feedback from anyone on here that owns a commander, I would sure like to hear your comments. Right now I am excited and antsy and ready to head to the range!!!!!!!
    Tommy:D

2. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

Congratulations!

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new Ruger.

Looking for a range report.

Enjoy.

Jim

4. Timbermart

Timbermart New Member

I have had my Ruger Commander about a year. Trouble free.

5. samson

samson New Member

New Ruger SR1911 CMD-A Lightweight

Yesterday I found a Ruger SR1911 CMD-A (Lightweight Commander) at my local GS yesterday. The dealer said they had received several a few days ago. Had to buy one to go with my SR1911 5" and SR1911 CMD 4.25".

Before going to the range I field stripped the gun and cleaned the bore. The frame, slide, and barrel were bone dry out of the box.

Two of the reviewers on YouTube said the recoil on the SR1911 CMD-A was snappy because of the lightweight aluminum frame. I had some concern about this and found that the difference in recoil was not noticeable.

Ran 100rds through it with no feed problems or malfunctions using four Ruger 10rd mags, an 8rd and four 7rd Ruger mags. The first seven rounds shot were 3-4 inches low and left of bullseye. After relaxing my strong hand grip, and tightening my support hand, the next 93 rounds were on point of aim every time. This gun can drive nails. Being 10 ounces lighter than the all- steel models, this CMD-A felt great. The Ruger SR1911 CMD-A could easily be a daily CCW.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I had to do the same thing with my right hand as you did. I was a bit surprised at the trigger pull as it is a little different than my full size. That is just something I will have to adapt to. I have not tried out the lightweight though so I can not give you any info on it. My Commander is the full steel frame and slide. I would like to try one just to see how it feels. There is a noticeable between the full size and the Commander but nothing that would be detrimental nor to cause any dislike. I got my first 1911 back in 1972 when I had a Colt National Match series and enjoyed it for many years before becoming stupid and trading it. I have to say that I believe the RugerSR 1911 series pistols outweigh the Colt in performance and handling.
    Tommy

7. samson

samson New Member

Trigger pull adjustment with Ruger CMD and CMD-A

I had a similar problem with my Ruger CMD (all Steel) model two years ago. The new aluminum frame CMD-A did the same thing until I made the adjustment with my grip. It took only one magazine to get it right. The first time you pick up the CMD-A you will feel the difference in weight. Your Ruger CMD SS will become the "redheaded stepchild" of your 1911 collection.