Ruger SP101 .22LR with Wolff Spring Kit Redux

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Redleg, May 2, 2014.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Those of you who own the SP101 .22LR know that the trigger is a pretty stiff pull. Many may have followed Biker's excellent thread about the kit.

I installed the 13# spring which is the lighter of the two that comes with the kit. Two days ago I had one failure to fire out of around 275 rounds of Federal AutoMatch. Examining the round, the gun made a very normal impression, so the gun was not at fault. When I recycled the round it fired fine. Whatever.

Today at lunch I shot 50 rounds of Norma ammo and 50 rounds of Remington Goldens with zero FTFs. This convinces me that the gun is about 100% reliable with the lighter spring.

The SP101 .22LR is truly a joy to shoot with the spring kit. The trigger is much kinder. If you own the SP101 .22LR this is something you should seriously consider.

Tomorrow I'm gonna shoot a bunch of Federal Blue Box and CCI to further test the gun for reliability. So far looking good.

[​IMG]

2. weblance

weblance New Member

Based on your comments in another thread, I ordered the kit. I never thought my trigger was that bad, so it will be interesting to see how it changes.

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Awesome report Redleg.......and as always your SP101 22 is beautiful....:)

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I just wanted to establish that different ammo types shot reliably with the 13# spring. I am now a believer -- the gun is as reliable as it was with the OEM springs. This weekend I'll probably shoot some CCI through it just to round out the test. Maybe try some .22 shorts too. Weblance, I don't think that the OEM trigger is "Bad" either ... it is a hard pull though and after about 100 rounds I found that my trigger finger was very fatigued. I can shoot the revolver all day now.

5. weblance

weblance New Member

I got my kit in the mail today. Headed to install the #13 now.

6. weblance

weblance New Member

I installed the #13 mainspring. I already had the #8 trigger return spring installed from a previous unsatisfactory attempt with the centerfire Wolff springs for the SP101. The trigger is improved, but I wont get a chance to test reliability for a few days.

My revolver was made in 2012. I thought it was earlier than that. My original mainspring has a purple tint to it, and has 17 coils, including the first, flat coils. Can anyone confirm the same spring, or a different spring, and what was your build date?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  7. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

My SP101 is a 2013 model.....it came with a blue/purple hammer spring. It is rated as a 16# from the factory.....give us a range report...