Ruger Single Seven Birdshead

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by mag318, Jul 13, 2017.

1. mag318

mag318 Member

Lipseys keeps coming up with really neat special runs of Ruger firearms. One of their latest and IMO one of their coolest is the Single Seven with a birdshead grip and 3 3/4" barrel. Not only is this revolver a great companion piece to the original Single 7, it shows Rugers commitment to the 327 Magnum chambering that many believe is dead but a lot of us really like. First off the new Single 7 feels great in hand the the birdshead grip and the build quality is flawless. SO anyone thinking of buying one of these I suggest you tell your dealer right away since the first run is already sold out.

Attached Files:

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Nice looking firearm.:cool:

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Pretty looking gun. I want it

4. mag318

mag318 Member

I like my first one so much I just bought a second one to keep locked away in pristine condition. I have a feeling these may become collectable years from now.

Attached Files:

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

327 Mag mutter-mutter anachronism mutter 32S&W mut--- 32 S&W mutter want want No dammit I don't need it - have enough guns want want

Phooey. Here we go again.

I'm going to go make supper, and forget about this gun.

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

VT I hear ya for sure.
    That is a sharp looking revolver for sure. I have been doing good lately at pulling any hairs before they get to me.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I like the looks of this gun however my reservations on it is the caliber. 327? Will that round be available in the next 10 yrs? I have never fired one so I am assuming that the recoil is similar to .38 special. Also I have some reservations about the length of the barrel. Would I like to have one?...........Well yes, but am I going to rush out and buy one? Uhhhhh NO!! I don't own any safe queens, everything I own will shoot except for an old Flobert rifle I have stashed away.

Tommy

Jerry Coffelt likes this.
  8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I can buy 32 long at about any gun shop. 32 H&R magnum? Nope. 327 Federal? Yep, if i want to pay the piper. Its a reloaders dream though. On one of my other threads about the 327, it was called a notch cartridge, and rightfully so. But it's a good one. I expect it will be around a while because it does have a bit of a cult following.

The barrel length is about ideal. 4 inches will just about burn all the powder.

It has a pretty snappy recoil. Not heavy, but kind of sharp. Of course the cartridge operated at around 40,000 psi. The Blackhawk tamed it well. The LCR less so. Never fired a Single Seven.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I'm with Tommy...

Awesome looking firearm...YES...{ Congrats to the OP }

Almost Rare Caliber...NO Thanks

Into Reloading...NO

They make bird heads gripped SA's in other more common calibers...I'll get one eventually.

10. buster40c

Just to let Tommy know, the 327 magnum is no 38 special. IMO the recoil is more than a 38+P and just a little less than the 357. That's how it seemed in my SP101.

Wow check out the velocity differences comparing 32, 32hr, 32 acp and 327mag. The 5.5 barrel is faster than the 7.5 barrel.
    Check out the specs on it. Little over 3 lb. trigger pull.
    http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Single7.htm

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Looks like the perfect size for a "sheriff's special" 32 S&W Long revolver. I'm not going to get one though. I'm not!

12. buster40c

Yep VT you keep saying you are not. Let us see pics of yours when you get it. LOL I do believe you are talking yourself into getting one.

LMAO VT have you bought a holster for it yet?

13. mag318

mag318 Member

Ruger developed the 327 Magnum with Federal a few years back. And though it never caught on in a big way those of us who own one appreciate how versatile the chambering is. I have never had trouble buying ammunition for one whether it be 327 Magnum, 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long or Short. I do believe that if Ruger keeps making firearms in 327 it will eventually catch on as more and more shooters come to appreciate it. Currently I own the following in 327.
    Smith & Wesson 632
    Ruger SP101
    Ruger LCR Ruger Single 7
    Ruger Single 7 Birdshead (2)
    I buy ammo by the case for them and save the brass for a couple friends who reload. For those on the fence because they are not sure about the future of the chambering, buy one and you'll soon discover why we like and enjoy them.